Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Summer, What are your plans?
Guest_Allan21996_*
post May 28 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #1

Guests

The Edgewood school year ended a few days ago and now here comes the Summer. We use the Summer as our time to get ahead and as the conditioning or training camp period. We are going to try and cover the material as much as we can. We will probably meet a lot so they can be ready and prepared for the school year. Our goal is for them is to be mastering and reviewing the material by them it gets to October and R1 area. Going through material for the first few times while also balancing school is tough. I'm excited for the Summer comradery and laughs though. We are lucky to be returning almost the entire team from last year. We won't really have that awkward phase of the kids getting to know each other.

What are your Summer plans? Going through all the material? Meeting frequently, semifrequently, not at all?

I love to hear how other people do Summer. I'm of the opinion that Summer is one of the most important parts of the decathlon season. Then again, we pick our team of 9 right before the Summer, so that's much different than most teams.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 28 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #2

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

This year, I have a Civil Rights-themed road trip and then I present at a security conference In Las Vegas. In August. Hotels must be cheap around that time or something...

When I coached, though, we made our team up out of those that survived the summer. That way, we'd only have to scramble for, maybe, one more Varsity when the year started.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post May 28 2016, 10:44 PM
Post #3

Guests

Summer decathlon is the best due to air conditioning.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post May 31 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Guests

In the summer, the school does all of its renovations, and you may lose air conditioning or even access to the school. Always have a few backup meeting spots to be safe.

A lot of people had summer school while doing AD in the summer, so keep that in mind when you schedule your meetings. In general, we just eased our way into the material, and focused primarily on the subjectives. To be perfectly honest, you will be hard-pressed to get people to study during the summer. A lot of them have vacations. Others are new. Many are resentful of having to even go to school during the summer and that shows. You really can't push people further than they are willing to go, especially during the summer. If they read the novel and guides once through, cover to cover, over the course of the summer, then that is some really solid work on their part and more than you can generally hope for. Generally you should take the summers easy, but ease students into the material. As zzzptm notes, you can definitely expect that those who are consistent over the summer are probably going to be your main lineup in the school year to come.

There may also be a few exceptional returners who will put their all into the program and throw all their effort behind AD for the summer. Those are the exceptions, and you can't really convince people to do that if they don't want to.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post May 31 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ May 31 2016, 12:38 PM) *
In the summer, the school does all of its renovations, and you may lose air conditioning or even access to the school. Always have a few backup meeting spots to be safe.

A lot of people had summer school while doing AD in the summer, so keep that in mind when you schedule your meetings. In general, we just eased our way into the material, and focused primarily on the subjectives. To be perfectly honest, you will be hard-pressed to get people to study during the summer. A lot of them have vacations. Others are new. Many are resentful of having to even go to school during the summer and that shows. You really can't push people further than they are willing to go, especially during the summer. If they read the novel and guides once through, cover to cover, over the course of the summer, then that is some really solid work on their part and more than you can generally hope for. Generally you should take the summers easy, but ease students into the material. As zzzptm notes, you can definitely expect that those who are consistent over the summer are probably going to be your main lineup in the school year to come.

There may also be a few exceptional returners who will put their all into the program and throw all their effort behind AD for the summer. Those are the exceptions, and you can't really convince people to do that if they don't want to.

We pick our team of 9 before the Summer starts. They know going into tryouts that they are devoting their lives to the program for that year. We go half hard, half fun in the Summer. We go a lot of hours, with a very lax setting. We also have 8 returners from last year's 50k team. A lot of them saw what it takes to get to the next level last year,. All of them want to be at that level.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Jun 1 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #6

Guests

Seems like you have a lot of luxuries in team selection that we didn't have. A team of eight returners is fantastic, and I think that with what you have there you have a real solid chance of some fantastic growths.

I do, however, recommend that you make sure not to neglect the new blood or to make them feel like they're not really part of the team. They are going to be your next year's returners, and a good support network for the competition team if you use them right. A lot of teams don't properly appreciate the importance of new blood and deal with some serious attrition three to four years down the line when their best members graduate.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jun 1 2016, 02:46 AM
Post #7

Guests

I'm hoping to find enough bodies to even think we'll have a team. Tried to meet with Varsity candidates today. Three showed up. One will have a PE class after our normal school day because she hasn't taken enough PE before graduation. One will be on the Flag team (which meets after school), and one who is on the water polo team through November. Hopefully, the Scholastics will be better tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Jun 1 2016, 05:41 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ May 31 2016, 05:05 PM) *
Seems like you have a lot of luxuries in team selection that we didn't have. A team of eight returners is fantastic, and I think that with what you have there you have a real solid chance of some fantastic growths.

I do, however, recommend that you make sure not to neglect the new blood or to make them feel like they're not really part of the team. They are going to be your next year's returners, and a good support network for the competition team if you use them right. A lot of teams don't properly appreciate the importance of new blood and deal with some serious attrition three to four years down the line when their best members graduate.

We work hard to find the perfect nine before the Summer. We are picking a group who is going to spend a thousand hours in a room all together. We work on a year by year basis with the focus to be better each year. Success breeds success and if we have a good year then more kids will want to join the next.

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post Jun 2 2016, 05:38 AM
Post #9

Guests

What is it you are aiming for? If it is to compete in California, then you need every bit of the summer and then some.

If it is to build a culture, then I would recommend regular meetings. These kids bought in for a reason, and they need opportunities to let it show.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Jun 2 2016, 04:41 PM
Post #10

Guests

Our goal is to build a culture of success and hard work. We want to improve every year and push our kids to grow as much as they can as individuals and as a team. If we continue to push ourselves internally as hard as we can, then we should be able to finish where we deserve and want. One of the main reasons we also pick our team before the Summer is that we run decathlon as a club. We also work 1000% more efficiently with 9 people.

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post Jun 2 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #11

Guests

Sorry...now I see who you are. Wow. Tremendous achievement between last year and this.

Your coaching strategies are your own, but the national champs do seem to not wait to get started. Good luck.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Jun 3 2016, 12:35 AM
Post #12

Guests

QUOTE (JSC @ Jun 2 2016, 01:21 PM) *
Sorry...now I see who you are. Wow. Tremendous achievement between last year and this.

Your coaching strategies are your own, but the national champs do seem to not wait to get started. Good luck.

I know that we start of very hardcore compared to most teams in the Summer, but we actually view it as a relaxing period where we get to study without the stress of the school year. GHC have been trailblazers for their year round pacing. They start in the Summer, but definitely don't go as hard until after R1. Their growth between every month is something we marvel at and hope to achieve one day. I will say that year to year improvement is our main focus. This year will be our highest scoring team ever, and we will without a doubt drop in scores next year, but if we can continue to improve in other aspects, that will be our goal. Complacency is what kills the success of great decathlon programs.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Apr 13 2017, 02:00 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

We've already started on next year. We have our seniors make quizzes for their remaining grades, and we're about 2/3 through TFA. Had our first meetings as well- mostly for fun and the kids to get to know each other. Got some speech ideas brewing for the kids too. Still need to figure out how much we are willing to contribute over the summer- we have an idea of what we want to do which is different from usual. We will be pretty good for at least the next two years smile.gif

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 15 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #14

The Fisher King

This summer, I shall convey the missus to Austria, whereat we shall celebrate the 30th anniversary of us two getting hitched.

Found some really nice vacation package rates on Hotwire for between 1000-1400 per person to Vienna at the start of September. I may not get the 80-day weekend from May-August, but I *can* now travel in the off-season. Life be good, and Vienna, here we come!

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_korunic_*
post Apr 28 2017, 05:35 AM
Post #15

Guests

My dad is taking my brother (forcing him to join as a freshman tongue.gif) and I on a circumnavigatory escapade...PHX to LA, LA to Tokyo, Tokyo to Kuala Lumpar, Kuala Lumpar to Bangkok, Bangkok to Sweden, Sweden to England (we have family in England), England to LA, LA to PHX. Luckily that leaves a lot of flight time for reading the resource guide biggrin.gif Unfortunately, my 8th grade grades no longer count in determining my division, so I am moving up to an Honors. My goal is to break 9000, but I'll be pretty happy with 8700. Pretty big jump, but this past year I did absolutely no summer reading and had only completed the binder once by January. I'm planning on reading the binder at least 4 times over the summer, and 12 times before January.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Apr 28 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (korunic @ Apr 27 2017, 10:35 PM) *
My dad is taking my brother (forcing him to join as a freshman tongue.gif) and I on a circumnavigatory escapade...PHX to LA, LA to Tokyo, Tokyo to Kuala Lumpar, Kuala Lumpar to Bangkok, Bangkok to Sweden, Sweden to England (we have family in England), England to LA, LA to PHX. Luckily that leaves a lot of flight time for reading the resource guide biggrin.gif Unfortunately, my 8th grade grades no longer count in determining my division, so I am moving up to an Honors. My goal is to break 9000, but I'll be pretty happy with 8700. Pretty big jump, but this past year I did absolutely no summer reading and had only completed the binder once by January. I'm planning on reading the binder at least 4 times over the summer, and 12 times before January.

Ever consider 6 small binders instead of 1 big binder?

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Apr 28 2017, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We don't use binders. We use a single binder ring in the top hole for each resource.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 28 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #18

The Fisher King

Mitt Romney had binders full of women.

Just sayin'.

The missus and I are going to also consider a list of all the places we'd like to see and then prioritizing them. Life is long, but not forever, so we'd like to make sure we don't wind up haunting the world because of some revenant-inducing compulsion to linger here and see just a bit more. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Aug 15 2017, 01:14 AM
Post #19

Guests

The first day of school has arrived and most of the people even still willing to talk to me and show up for a meeting have confirmed what has been true for most years. They didn't do much to any reading. At least they're here and have the music packet. I've seen the other thread. It just happened to be the one packet I gave people. And it's not like we can ignore it and hope it goes away. Returning Honors and varsity (both in Fall sports though). Gotta find some Scholastics-- JUST LIKE EVERY YEAR. Stupid grade inflation!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Aug 16 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #20

The Fisher King

Fall starts earlier for teachers, I'm still thinking this is summer... smile.gif

I start my new job at ForeScout Technologies as a Solutions Architect tomorrow. Going to Austria for a week, leaving 30 August - still summer for me. emot-smug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2018 - 07:25 PM