Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Member Thread, Don't be shy, introduce yourselves
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Feb 3 2014, 03:19 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Nicholas.Goettl @ Feb 2 2014, 09:12 PM) *
I'm Nick Goettl,
2nd year team member at Boulder Creek High School in Arizona. This year could potentially be the last year of Academic Decathlon here due to our administration.
Has anyone reading this gone through similar issues? If so, how have you reconciled with the admin at your school?

Hey! Welcome to the boards. A couple questions to help us help you - are you a senior? Are the coaches staying for next year?

BC is doing well this year; it's a shame to hear that your team might be in trouble. I admire your intentions in trying to find advice for dealing with admin, but I personally recommend you pour yourself into doing your very best for these next four weeks. While impressing the admin won't be the answer, I promise it will help, and if there's a chance this is your team's last year, you need to make it count. Best of luck!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Feb 3 2014, 03:42 AM
Post #22

Guests

I'm Elan. I was a member of the Mountain Pointe (Arizona) AD team for 3 years, and I coached the team for one year after that. I'm generally pretty bitter and you should probably take anything I say with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (Nicholas.Goettl @ Feb 2 2014, 08:12 PM) *
I'm Nick Goettl,
2nd year team member at Boulder Creek High School in Arizona. This year could potentially be the last year of Academic Decathlon here due to our administration.
Has anyone reading this gone through similar issues? If so, how have you reconciled with the admin at your school?

I had more than my fair share of district troubles during my year as coach, especially with the Arizona budget cut situation. What kind of problems are we talking about? I know from my own experience that administrations can sometimes be quite difficult to deal with.

+Quote Post
Guest_Nicholas.Goettl_*
post Feb 3 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Feb 2 2014, 08:42 PM) *
I had more than my fair share of district troubles during my year as coach, especially with the Arizona budget cut situation. What kind of problems are we talking about? I know from my own experience that administrations can sometimes be quite difficult to deal with.

Its more or less the Principal not wanting to spend the money/not thinking the program is worth the money.

@The_Crazy_Honors, yes the coach will be returning for next year, and although a majority of the team is seniors, there are currently 45-50 students enrolled in the class, with more expected to sign up.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Feb 4 2014, 02:20 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

How is having a 45-50 person class not worth the money? Their paying your coach to sponsor AD pittance- you couldn't have that many kids in any other class. Should be grateful.

+Quote Post
Guest_Nicholas.Goettl_*
post Feb 4 2014, 02:27 AM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Feb 3 2014, 07:20 PM) *
How is having a 45-50 person class not worth the money? Their paying your coach to sponsor AD pittance- you couldn't have that many kids in any other class. Should be grateful.

Its spread over two classes and she wants to merge them. The issue is, most kid in the two classes are in other AP classes that are specific to only one class hour so it would not be possible to get as many kids to sign up, and lower overall registration would give the admin an excuse to cut the whole program.

Who really knows, I suppose the $1,500 for the guides is worth much more than the learning experience in the eyes of accountants. Its upsetting to say the least though.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Feb 5 2014, 03:33 AM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE (Nicholas.Goettl @ Feb 3 2014, 03:40 PM) *

Its more or less the Principal not wanting to spend the money/not thinking the program is worth the money.

@The_Crazy_Honors, yes the coach will be returning for next year, and although a majority of the team is seniors, there are currently 45-50 students enrolled in the class, with more expected to sign up.

The AZ budget really forces them to be VERY stingy with all money. It's not entirely your principal's fault I suspect.

Schools don't really listen to students or teachers, but they most certainly listen to parents. My advice is to ask the parents of students to vouch for the importance of the program.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Feb 5 2014, 03:35 AM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (Herohito @ Feb 4 2014, 09:33 PM) *

The AZ budget really forces them to be VERY stingy with all money. It's not entirely your principal's fault I suspect.

Schools don't really listen to students or teachers, but they most certainly listen to parents. My advice is to ask the parents of students to vouch for the importance of the program.

Please tell me how you get parents to like Decathlon.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Feb 5 2014, 03:51 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 4 2014, 08:35 PM) *

My old coach really put in quite an effort over the years to make parents involved in the program, with some varied degree of success. It's definitely more important to the longevity of a program than it would appear to those unfamiliar with the way schools work, a fact I learned a bit too late.

As for why parents would like the program: http://demidectalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1802
Parents generally care for their children, and experiences like these are certainly something they would want their children to have. During my year as coach, I had a parent or two thank me for how my involvement in the program impacted their children. In short: if the program really DOES have a positive impact on their children, parents will already support it. All you have to do is make them say it to the administration.

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post Feb 5 2014, 05:53 AM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 4 2014, 09:35 PM) *

Why wouldn't Decathlon be a thing parents would love?

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 5 2014, 06:10 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (JSC @ Feb 5 2014, 12:53 AM) *

Their kids stay up late studying, become addicted to the competition, don't produce tangible results until late in the school year, block off a social life, de-emphasize regular schoolwork and college applications, and so on.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 5 2014, 05:18 PM
Post #31

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (JSC @ Feb 5 2014, 12:53 AM) *

"You work too much. " x 1,000

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Feb 6 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (JSC @ Feb 4 2014, 11:53 PM) *

Lots of time with team and not family. I need to be picked up from school at dinnertime instead of taking a free bus or bothering to learn to drive (it's on my after-State list), and I have practice at teammates' houses on Saturdays. My parents liked my pre-AcDec friends and always hate that I never spend time with said friends anymore. Money - the suit, the ridiculous amount of stuff I print, the fact that AcDec was a factor in my asking for a laptop for Christmas and an iPhone for my birthday, and all the random expenditures like food for big team dinners. Health is a big one for my family. Some parents dislike the level of social diversity (metalheads, potheads...) seen in Decathlon teams.

I think the biggest one for me was that my parents didn't want me to quit things. I went from five school organizations on top of Decathlon to one club that amounts to under an hour a month of meetings. For most kids of the caliber we usually see on Decathlon teams, that's bad. That looks like senioritis, and that won't get you into colleges. I was fortunate in that I chose a public school and got a scholarship based on what I did my junior year, but most kids don't have the luxury of being able to throw away the rest of senior year.

Parents would love Decathlon if students could have great experiences and achieve great things without needing to put 30-50 hours a week into it.

+Quote Post
Guest_TooTall_*
post Feb 6 2014, 05:50 AM
Post #33

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 5 2014, 07:39 PM) *
QUOTE (JSC @ Feb 4 2014, 11:53 PM) *

(it's on my after-State list)

Oh the after-state list. Glad to know this isn't just a thing I do haha. So many movies to see, books to read, people to hold conversations with that last longer than 5 minutes and don't end with "sorry gtg acadec stuff".

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Feb 6 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (TooTall @ Feb 5 2014, 11:50 PM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 5 2014, 07:39 PM) *

(it's on my after-State list)

Oh the after-state list. Glad to know this isn't just a thing I do haha. So many movies to see, books to read, people to hold conversations with that last longer than 5 minutes and don't end with "sorry gtg acadec stuff".

Books, shows, movies, games, projects...it's how I'll cope with suddenly not being a Decathlete anymore.

+Quote Post
Guest_Rrosas30_*
post Feb 12 2014, 02:07 AM
Post #35

Guests

Hello, my name is Roberto Rosas
I'm a senior at Pasadena Memorial High School, I did decathlon for only one year and I really regret not joining earlier.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jam11_*
post Feb 12 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #36

Guests

Hello, my name is Jeffrey Moore and I competed as a scholastic at Oxnard High School in 2011. I've been lurking here since about that time and only now decided I should finally make an account. I've known about Academic Decathlon for a while since my sister competed in it but my parents didn't want me to do it because of the time commitment. I finally convinced them to let me join my senior year and my only regret is not being able to compete sooner since I feel like I could have put in more effort into studying. Now I've been helping out Oxnard's program for the last 3 years; mostly with math. I've also become obsessed with recording scores which started when I came across DDSIC and found very little info on Ventura County. That drove me to find out everything I can and now I have several unorganized spreadsheets of Oxnard and Ventura County results.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Feb 12 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (Jam11 @ Feb 12 2014, 03:29 PM) *
I've known about Academic Decathlon for a while since my sister competed in it but my parents didn't want me to do it because of the time commitment. I finally convinced them to let me join my senior year and my only regret is not being able to compete sooner since I feel like I could have put in more effort into studying.

I'm amazed to hear stories like this. My parents were happy to see that I showed so much interest in something, and it's pretty surprising to see that that isn't really the norm.

This post has been edited by Herohito: Feb 12 2014, 10:47 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_298_*
post Feb 13 2014, 02:17 AM
Post #38

Guests

This is Murali from Dallas.

+Quote Post
Guest_VorlonTVC15_*
post Feb 13 2014, 11:55 PM
Post #39

Guests

Hey guys, I'm Bailey Chabot! I'm a second year scholastic decathlete from Torrance High School. We just got out scores back yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled with how my team and the others did. Can't wait for the state competition!

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Feb 14 2014, 01:06 AM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (VorlonTVC15 @ Feb 13 2014, 05:55 PM) *
Hey guys, I'm Bailey Chabot! I'm a second year scholastic decathlete from Torrance High School. We just got out scores back yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled with how my team and the others did. Can't wait for the state competition!

Congratulations! Are you in California?

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 11:53 AM