zzzptm
post Nov 9 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #161

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Welcome to the boards, all y'all!

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Joe M_*
post Jan 22 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #162

Guests

Hello everyone! I am a senior decathlete from Nebraska. This is my second year in academic decathlon- last year I was in the scholastic division but this year I am in honors. We just had regionals on Saturday, and I am very excited for state next month!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 23 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #163

The Fisher King

QUOTE (Joe M @ Jan 22 2018, 05:48 PM) *
Hello everyone! I am a senior decathlete from Nebraska. This is my second year in academic decathlon- last year I was in the scholastic division but this year I am in honors. We just had regionals on Saturday, and I am very excited for state next month!

Welcome aboard! Hope your coach didn't get too much grey hair when your GPA went up!

Expression of a coach realizing a scholastic moved up in GPA:
ocmhey.jpg

Expression of a coach when a varsity's GPA makes him/her an honors:
ocmfp.jpg

Same coach, but now when an honors tanks in GPA and becomes a varsity:
ocmyay.jpg

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
madcap
post Jan 23 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #164

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Joe M @ Jan 22 2018, 05:48 PM) *

Welcome to DDT! I competed in Nebraska too, in 2007-2009! biggrin.gif Except I went backwards. I was a Honors and then a Scholastic. I wish I had a photo of my coach doing that third pose zzzptm put out. Haha!

+Quote Post
Labiba Uddin
post Feb 27 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #165

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 720,461

Hi, my name’s Labiba and I was an honors freshman for the Wakeland AcDec team this year. I had a lot of fun and I cannot wait for the next few years. I am so excited and honored to be a part of this amazing program! happy.gif

--------------------
Labiba Uddin
Freshman
Wakeland High School Honors 2017-

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 28 2018, 03:23 AM
Post #166

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Labiba Uddin @ Feb 27 2018, 07:50 PM) *
Hi, my name’s Labiba and I was an honors freshman for the Wakeland AcDec team this year. I had a lot of fun and I cannot wait for the next few years. I am so excited and honored to be a part of this amazing program! happy.gif

Welcome! How does it feel to be the very first freshman 9k'er in history?!! happy.gif

+Quote Post
yxl0755
post Feb 28 2018, 04:15 AM
Post #167

Member No.: 721,910

I commented in the Texas State thread, but I never really formally introduced myself here. I am Vincent Lin from Coppell High School. I am a senior, so last weekend was my last competition. I just want to thank everyone on here who has made Academic Decathlon one of the best experiences in my four years of high school. The community here has really pushed me to do my best and I had such an amazing time. It was definitely really difficult to lose the state title by about 50 points, but I am so grateful to be a part of this wonderful group of students, coaches, and alumni!

+Quote Post
Labiba Uddin
post Feb 28 2018, 05:07 AM
Post #168

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 27 2018, 09:23 PM) *

Welcome! How does it feel to be the very first freshman 9k'er in history?!! happy.gif

wacko.gif don’t exactly know how to describe my reaction- it was definitely a pleasant surprise but I hope to do even better next year!

--------------------
Labiba Uddin
Freshman

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 28 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #169

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (yxl0755 @ Feb 28 2018, 12:15 AM) *
I commented in the Texas State thread, but I never really formally introduced myself here. I am Vincent Lin from Coppell High School. I am a senior, so last weekend was my last competition. I just want to thank everyone on here who has made Academic Decathlon one of the best experiences in my four years of high school. The community here has really pushed me to do my best and I had such an amazing time. It was definitely really difficult to lose the state title by about 50 points, but I am so grateful to be a part of this wonderful group of students, coaches, and alumni!

Welcome aboard, Vincent! I'm glad you found us -- and Decathlon. smile.gif

QUOTE (Labiba Uddin @ Feb 28 2018, 01:07 AM) *

wacko.gif don’t exactly know how to describe my reaction- it was definitely a pleasant surprise but I hope to do even better next year!

Wakeland's Honors bracket next year is gonna be even more legendary than Liberty's ever has been... glare.gif

+Quote Post
UrInvalid
post Feb 28 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #170

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 720,416

Hello, everyone! My name is Liam Lawson, and I'm a former decathlete and (soon-to-be) coach for BASIS Chandler in Arizona. I competed in 2015-2017 (though I didn't qualify for the Regionals team in 2015) as an Honors. I initially joined because my parents forced me; I joined the next year to prove myself; and I stayed my senior year because it was really fun (despite not really being great at subjects that weren't mathematics). One of the better moments of my college career up to this point has been my old coach asking me to help out next year. Can't wait to get involved in this wonderful competition again!

--------------------
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." -Norman Vincent Peale

+Quote Post
Guest_Hannah_L_*
post Mar 1 2018, 02:30 AM
Post #171

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 28 2018, 01:29 PM) *
QUOTE (Labiba Uddin @ Feb 28 2018, 01:07 AM) *

Wakeland's Honors bracket next year is gonna be even more legendary than Liberty's ever has been... glare.gif

Hopefully! wink.gif I've got to say that the Liberty duo of Vik Shirvaikar and Abel Sen was pretty epic too.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 1 2018, 03:58 AM
Post #172

The Fisher King

Hello to all the new posters, thanks for coming on by!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MusicMan
post Mar 1 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #173

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 720,648

Hello, all. My name is Brandon Pedigo, and I am one of the coaches at Plano East Senior High (Plano, TX). I did have/do have another account in the DDT group, but the password recovery e-mails were getting blocked by my district, and I have not been able to log in or post in several months. Years, even? So I'm back with a bright, shiny new profile (and an email address that won't be filtered by my district).

I was also a student at Plano East Senior High and graduated in 1993, the year PESH won the USAD National Championship. I wasn't on that team, but our superintendent sent teams to compete in a similar competition in his previous district in Volusia County, Florida. Because the PESH Ac Dec team was already competing at Nationals in Arizona, I got a free trip to Daytona Beach. We lost to Plano Senior High's Ac Dec team at that competition, but hey... free trip to the beach!

Also, I teach AP Music Theory. I probably like the music fundamentals section most years more than just about any coach. I probably understand it more than most coaches. Then again, I spend several weeks in my AP class teaching similar concepts. It's almost ridiculous to expect so much theory in the Ac Dec competition. I wish USAD focused more generally on the fundamental topics, like a music appreciation or music history class would. But that's just my two cents.

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Mar 1 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #174

Guests

QUOTE (UrInvalid @ Feb 28 2018, 02:53 PM) *
Hello, everyone! My name is Liam Lawson, and I'm a former decathlete and (soon-to-be) coach for BASIS Chandler in Arizona. I competed in 2015-2017 (though I didn't qualify for the Regionals team in 2015) as an Honors. I initially joined because my parents forced me; I joined the next year to prove myself; and I stayed my senior year because it was really fun (despite not really being great at subjects that weren't mathematics). One of the better moments of my college career up to this point has been my old coach asking me to help out next year. Can't wait to get involved in this wonderful competition again!

Welcome! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your success with BASIS Chandler smile.gif It's always cool when former Decathletes become coaches.

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Mar 1 2018, 10:07 PM
Post #175

Guests

QUOTE (MusicMan @ Mar 1 2018, 02:35 PM) *
Hello, all. My name is Brandon Pedigo, and I am one of the coaches at Plano East Senior High (Plano, TX). I did have/do have another account in the DDT group, but the password recovery e-mails were getting blocked by my district, and I have not been able to log in or post in several months. Years, even? So I'm back with a bright, shiny new profile (and an email address that won't be filtered by my district).

I was also a student at Plano East Senior High and graduated in 1993, the year PESH won the USAD National Championship. I wasn't on that team, but our superintendent sent teams to compete in a similar competition in his previous district in Volusia County, Florida. Because the PESH Ac Dec team was already competing at Nationals in Arizona, I got a free trip to Daytona Beach. We lost to Plano Senior High's Ac Dec team at that competition, but hey... free trip to the beach!

Also, I teach AP Music Theory. I probably like the music fundamentals section most years more than just about any coach. I probably understand it more than most coaches. Then again, I spend several weeks in my AP class teaching similar concepts. It's almost ridiculous to expect so much theory in the Ac Dec competition. I wish USAD focused more generally on the fundamental topics, like a music appreciation or music history class would. But that's just my two cents.

Hey! Another former Decathlete that's a coach. That's awesome. Welcome!

Just wanted to chime in and say that I 100% agree with your opinion on the fundamental topics...I've always thought it would be cool for the music, art, economics, etc. fundamentals to be covered more in depth and applied to the curriculum each year.

+Quote Post
Guest_ThatGingerKid_*
post Mar 2 2018, 01:39 AM
Post #176

Guests

Hey friends, I've been on here since September but haven't posted until now.
My name is Anna Belle, I'm a Sophomore who competed as my team's scholastic alternate this year, but I'm dropping down to Varsity next year (which my coach and team is very happy about, my parents not so much)
This was my first year and I'm super excited for next year!

+Quote Post
Guest_Distracted Varsity_*
post Mar 2 2018, 03:38 AM
Post #177

Guests

QUOTE (ThatGingerKid @ Mar 2 2018, 01:39 AM) *
I'm dropping down to Varsity next year (which my coach and team is very happy about, my parents not so much)

Can relate

I've competed as all three, and can definitely say that varsities are the most fun (for better or worse)
I wish you the best of luck wherever you are, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.

+Quote Post
Guest_JakeLHS_*
post Mar 2 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #178

Guests

QUOTE (Labiba Uddin @ Feb 27 2018, 11:50 PM) *

You're a freshman?? Wow. You've got a great three years ahead (as does Wakeland) if you can score like that as a freshman.

+Quote Post
Labiba Uddin
post Mar 2 2018, 06:13 PM
Post #179

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Mar 2 2018, 09:01 AM) *
QUOTE (Labiba Uddin @ Feb 27 2018, 11:50 PM) *

You're a freshman?? Wow. You've got a great three years ahead (as does Wakeland) if you can score like that as a freshman.

Thank you so much! I really hope we can do as amazing as y’all. Your score was amazing - wish you all my luck at nationals!

--------------------
Labiba Uddin
Freshman

+Quote Post
madcap
post Mar 2 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #180

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (MusicMan @ Mar 1 2018, 04:35 PM) *

Welcome! Was the similar competition also Academic Decathlon, a quiz bowl, or another contest? Really curious!

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018 - 02:49 AM