Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regionals 2017, It's coming
fyzics
post Feb 22 2017, 12:35 AM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 30,249

We did it! We did it! We're going D1 in California! So proud and happy for my kids.

biggrin.gif tongue.gif cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Feb 22 2017, 02:51 AM
Post #162

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (fyzics @ Feb 21 2017, 04:35 PM) *
We did it! We did it! We're going D1 in California! So proud and happy for my kids.

biggrin.gif tongue.gif cool.gif

I say we poll the audience after they sit through a 3 hour plus awards ceremony as part of division 1. Yes, we want our kids to do well, but competing with the big dogs is beyond discouraging when you come home empty handed. The top of D1 is beyond our range of capabilities. The best varsity we ever had is 8317 and the best of LAUSD gets 9K plus every year. Nope, can't match it. I will quite happily sit in division 2.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 22 2017, 03:46 AM
Post #163

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

I very much see both sides of this argument.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Mar 1 2017, 03:17 AM
Post #164

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

I still have very mixed feelings about score-based divisions. I think they can do a lot of good and bad both in terms of motivation vs. complacency, though I believe there's something to be said about their ability to keep programs going. Ultimately though I can't shake that "the top 20 teams" in one division is ultimately an arbitrary distinction that frequently leads to two teams of similar ability to receive vastly different numbers of medals at State simply because of their placement at Regionals, and I don't like that. (I mean, I guess you could say that about size-based divisions as well, since the population cutoff is also ultimately arbitrary, but it still feels more objective for whatever reason.)

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Mar 1 2017, 05:15 AM
Post #165

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

Score-based divisions are and always will be a horrible idea. They should be based on school size. If you are concerned about private schools stacking D3, make a rule that any school with an admissions standard is in D1.

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Mar 2 2017, 08:04 PM
Post #166

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 28 2017, 07:17 PM) *
I still have very mixed feelings about score-based divisions. I think they can do a lot of good and bad both in terms of motivation vs. complacency, though I believe there's something to be said about their ability to keep programs going. Ultimately though I can't shake that "the top 20 teams" in one division is ultimately an arbitrary distinction that frequently leads to two teams of similar ability to receive vastly different numbers of medals at State simply because of their placement at Regionals, and I don't like that. (I mean, I guess you could say that about size-based divisions as well, since the population cutoff is also ultimately arbitrary, but it still feels more objective for whatever reason.)

It's the difference of making the NIT instead of the NCAA except in this case there is zero chance of victory if you make the big dance. There's no 5-12 domination by 12s. No stead stream of 14s beating 3s. It's you are the 16th seed and you've never beaten a 1. Never. Time, resources, school culture-- separates the gods from the mortals. We are merely mortal. The quest to be the best of the mortals (while still being of flesh and limited life span) continues. I hope we can do it with 5 of our 6 counters.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 3 2017, 12:22 AM
Post #167

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

This is why AcDec needs to have a Chess Boxing event.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: TinDefacto

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:25 AM