2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's next?
The Scullery Mai...
post May 2 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 9

Now that AcDec is over for seniors, what are you all planning to do with your lives?

I'm going the University of Virginia to major in Comparative Literature and Middle Eastern Studies. From there, I'm hoping to become an editor in a publishing house.

(I hope this is the proper forum for this!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rickshawman
post May 2 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #2

A Decathlete No More :\

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 56

I'll be at ASU, majoring in Secondary Ed. in History, and probably picking up a minor or two in either Developmental Biology, Asian Languages, Architectural Studies, or something. I want to travel abroad over the summers, and maybe teach a year or two internationally after I'm done with college.

Oh, and I'll be assistant coaching Mountain Pointe's team :]

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009

+Quote Post
Chloe
post May 2 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #3

So wuvwee

Group: Pink Panthers
Member No.: 12

Wallow in self pity.

Or, become an artist.

Oh wait-

--------------------

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 2 2009, 09:47 PM
Post #4

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

lol Chloe...

After my senior year, I went to UT Austin, eventually majored in History, got certified to teach Math and History, taught Junior High Math then English and History, left teaching for seven years in the IT industry, including 2.5 years supporting Microsoft Exchange, went back to teaching at the high school I graduated from, and found myself in China a few years after that after meeting DDD.

Along the way, I got married (21 years and counting) and had four children. I never stopped learning and every time I had an interview or had to give a speech, my mind flashed back to Academic Decathlon...

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
rickshawman
post May 2 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #5

A Decathlete No More :\

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 2 2009, 10:47 PM) *
lol Chloe...

After my senior year, I went to UT Austin, eventually majored in History, got certified to teach Math and History, taught Junior High Math then English and History, left teaching for seven years in the IT industry, including 2.5 years supporting Microsoft Exchange, went back to teaching at the high school I graduated from, and found myself in China a few years after that after meeting DDD.

Along the way, I got married (21 years and counting) and had four children. I never stopped learning and every time I had an interview or had to give a speech, my mind flashed back to Academic Decathlon...

.. Was it difficult to get certified to teach without getting a degree in education? D: I really don't want to major in Secondary Ed, because it means all but abandoning history classes my junior/senior year to take a bunch of ridiculous educational theory classes - e.g. "Computers in the K-12 Classroom" - but .. I don't know how difficult it would be to NOT major in education, then get certified, then teach.

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 2 2009, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Hari, check into the possibility of majoring in history, and then getting your certification as part of a masters program. It will allow you to take more good classes and fewer bad (i.e. education) classes while you're getting your degree. A master's degree will also move you up on the pay scale and make you a bit more sellable in the secondary education world.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post May 2 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #7

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

I'm off to Barrett at ASU to double major in Economics and Biological Sciences in Genetics, Cell and Developmental Biology.

For the first time, I don't really feel like I have a path I'm trying to follow, which scares me. What will I do with my life? I have no idea. In four years, I can go to med school, law school, work in econ and then go get an MBA, work on a PhD in econ or genetics, or go straight to work in genetics. I'm really at a loss for what I want to do with my life, but hopefully in four years I'll know. I have all sorts of activities and extracurriculars lined up to get involved in and a million things for me to do (study abroad, work for the Attorney General and hopefully work on his campaign for governor, parliamentary debate, etc.), but I'm sort of operating on inertia for the time being. I'll have to self-motivate myself towards something...but I don't know what towards.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 2 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #8

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

Well, I'm a year out, but I think this is sorta relevant. I plan on majoring in economics, with either a minor or double major in history. After talking to my aunt (principal at PHS), she told me I can just take the basic 12 hours of UTeach to get in to teaching. However, I would probably work on my masters over the summers. Is this legit?

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 3 2009, 12:00 AM
Post #9

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

I hope one day to have as successful a post-Decathlon life as zzzptm. So far, it hasn't been going all that well for me, and I'm currently in a pretty bad sinkhole without much of a life at all. My advice is to be sensible in the risks you take and make sure to fully commit yourself to whatever you do. There's a lot of great opportunities out there in both academic and personal senses; make sure to pick some and take full advantage of them. (Very vague, I know.)

+Quote Post
BadgerCam
post May 3 2009, 12:05 AM
Post #10

Typo Sensei

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 4

I will be attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University here in Prescott majoring in Global Securities ans Intelligence Studies.
GSIS is like the social science/land and lit of the world. You have to know everything about a lot of places and understand how terrorists work and what not. It's a FBI CIA training degree, but would be a good start for a masters in history.

And I will be assistant coaching PHS' AcaDec team. Maybe I will see you in Kingman and at states, Hari.

--------------------

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too
much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
"

"
Where we directed from Washington when to sow
and when to reap, we should soon want bread.
"

"
I own I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.
It places the governors indeed more at their ease, at the expense of the people"

*Thomas Jefferson*

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 3 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #11

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (rickshawman @ May 2 2009, 06:06 PM) *
.. Was it difficult to get certified to teach without getting a degree in education? D: I really don't want to major in Secondary Ed, because it means all but abandoning history classes my junior/senior year to take a bunch of ridiculous educational theory classes - e.g. "Computers in the K-12 Classroom" - but .. I don't know how difficult it would be to NOT major in education, then get certified, then teach.

In Texas, certification on the secondary level comes with a set of courses that are separate from the Bachelor's degree.

And, yes, there are ridiculous theory classes, but there are also good ones. Depends mostly on the instructor. I had a great Reading class and a great Discipline class.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
Kort Jackson
post May 3 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #12

Procurer of vhaoijlhhngnsgagt.

Member No.: 58

I have been out of AD for three years, after graduating in 2006. I am current working on my BA of History with a Concentration in Social Studies. From there, I expect to teach High School social studies (likely History) and also coach AD. My ultimate goal is to transition to being a professor at a University and/or a career in politics.

This post has been edited by Kort Jackson: May 3 2009, 01:25 AM

--------------------
Kort Jackson - Former Husky, Academic Decathlete, and other things. BA-History '12, Current Grad Student, DemiDecTalk commentator and other things.
Other than that, not at all epic.

+Quote Post
TheWerg
post May 3 2009, 03:55 AM
Post #13

Major Major Major Major

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 48

On my way to Duke, majoring in English (for now), but I'll be taking lots of history, economics, political science, and anything else not math or science classes. Eventual plans involve law school or business school and a really high-paying job so that I don't have student loans hanging over me on my death bed.

--------------------
"Slowly, I began to see--as if a veil had lifted--the tortured shadow of Cain everywhere, within me and without, his many cultural reincarnations parading through my mind like frames projected on a cyclorama. He was the first city-builder. Perhaps the father of science and philosophy. His war was with God, the Father who spurned him. Of the two--him and Abel--only Cain possessed subjectivity. A complex inner life. It was said that Western man himself was Cain, cursed with the burden of restlessness and the endless quest for selfhood."

+Quote Post
Chloe
post May 3 2009, 04:05 AM
Post #14

So wuvwee

Group: Pink Panthers
Member No.: 12

Oh right, serious post:

Heading off to Carnegie-Mellon's School of Art next semester, but seriously considering trying to transfer into the Bachelor of Science and Art Program for second semester. I consider myself very lucky; everything actually seems to be working out pretty well right now. I got the best financial aid from them (well, they matched my highest offer), I love the campus, I loved the people I met there, and I'm excited for these next few years.

Things might just be okay.

This post has been edited by Chloe: May 3 2009, 04:06 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Subversive Asset...
post May 3 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #15

BURN!

Member No.: 57

In my second (but Junior) year at Texas A&M, studying accounting (tax track) in a 5-year (4 and a half years for me) program where I'll graduate with a BBA in Accounting and a Masters in Accounting (Tax), as well as be prepared for CPA certification. I've been taking things pretty easy for the past couple of years, but I'm still on the right track, preparing for an internship in spring 2010 (getting companies narrowed down...)

--------------------
ADVANCE APOLOGY: Sorry for the post length. I like to be thorough.

+Quote Post
iMatt
post May 3 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #16

Admiral and Love Guru Adama

Member No.: 8

I left my college where I started out about 5 months ago due to mental health issues/unstability etc etc fun times, and now I'm working a part time job and piecing my life back together. Plans include: Making more money, working less, somehow accomplishing that paradox. Fo reals though: I want to get back into college before I've lost much more time, hopefully somewhere further away than the college closest to me, but I won't complain. Ideally I could be transferring up to Eastern Michigan University next spring or fall and have free housing with a buddy of mine who's probably going up there as well.

What do I want to *do* with my life? Well hell, I don't quite know myself. I'm intensely interested in psychology nearly to the point of obsession, but I've learned that I hate biology with a mad passion. I've considered counseling, but what irks me is that none of these careers capitalize on my greatest talent, my writing. So along with all this I chase after copywriting apprenticeships that I'm not quite qualified for and slowly grind my keyboard into dust just letting my consciousness go.

Hopefully someday I'll just start writing and never stop.

--------------------

Funk Mission
RIP MYSGSAB Never Forget :p

+Quote Post
Captaink
post May 3 2009, 06:21 AM
Post #17

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Member No.: 61

Me? I had grand plans for college. I had a laundry list of things I was gonna do, but just about all of them fell through. Do I regret it? No. I've been extremely lucky with all of the opportunities that have fallen in my lap. I was hoping to give campus tours at college. Instead, I've found myself with my hand grasped firmly around the first rung on the ladder to Athletics administration, and I love it to death. Even sitting at the baseball stadium waiting out a rain delay was oddly fulfilling. Here, it seems like you are judged by what you are a part of, and to me that's something that is far more unique and fulfilling than going greek or being in SGA. Granted, I'm not sure if that's what I want to do with my life (and it's certainly not something I'd do for the money), and that's why I'm going to school. I figure a major and two minors ought to give me enough to get at least a foothold in some field come 2012. My major, supply chain management, is what brought me to tcu. Learning that graduating classes in that field were in the 30-50 range, I felt even further from the madding crowd of accounting/finance majors here. I'm equally excited about my energy minor. Partisan drabble aside, oil and gas are going to be around for the forseeable future (and politicians would do well to acknowledge their necessity). Alongside that, I just heard about a possible joint venture with waste management to use reclaimed landfill to power our campus (wind turbines, methane gas extraction, etc) and I may have started drooling a bit. I guess that goes with my "forward looking" mindset, which really comes in handy when you are entering college and already know what you want to do with yourself. Anyway, I also threw in a polisci minor, because if all else fails, I'll be graduating in time for an election cycle, and lord knows that's the only time polisci majors can find work...

TL;DR version: It helps to look to the future, but only if you are willing to take what comes and not get hung up on what doesn't.

Also, I have this nagging desire to start an AD team at a nearby high school. Maybe someday I'll put together a powerpoint and go pay the principal a visit...

--------------------
If you get off of school grounds, kiss your ass goodbye as you’re now faced with angry centaurs, hungry spiders, and every variety of evil, man slaughtering mythical beast you can think of. Including trees. There’s a freaking tree that can kill people.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatrioitic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Editorial in the Kansas City Star May 7, 1918

+Quote Post
monica
post May 4 2009, 04:10 PM
Post #18

RIP Mountain Dew

Member No.: 70

I started out as an English major with a theology minor at the University of San Francisco. After my first year, I realized that theology was my primary passion, not English, so I swapped my major to theology with a minor in Catholic studies and social thought. The more I got into my studies at USF, the more I realized they couldn't offer me the intensive theology I thought I needed to be prepared for grad school, etc. I transferred to Marquette University with a major in theology and a minor in Catholic studies. My highbrow theology classes here don't enrapture me, and the Catholic studies minor is moribund at best. I will say that coming to Marquette has challenged me to take a stand in ways I never had to at USF-- the gift of the adversary is something I could have never understood without making the move to Milwaukee.

I'll graduate next spring unless I take a hiatus for Scholar's Cup purposes, which seems ill-advised. At any rate, my interests are veering toward clinical pastoral theology or medical ethics at this point. Deep down, though, I'd love to be a stay at home mom who does consulting work on the side.

--------------------
Proposed curriculum theme for Scholar's Cup 2010: Goats on Boats

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 4 2009, 04:27 PM
Post #19

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

My plans for my future are so FUBAR it's not funny. At this point I have it narrowed down to wanting to do something vaguely biological or maybe psych..... unsure.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 4 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #20

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

I hope to be an oceanographer or astronomer when I grow up.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 04:56 AM