IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's your team look like for the 2011-2012 school year?, in the interest of collegial transparency
Guest_Gear_*
post May 11 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Guests

My recruiting is done for next year and here's what I have:

8 honors (4 male, 4 female) (4 seniors, 3 juniors, and 1 sophomore)(5 with a PSAT above 200) (1 returner: #3 in state)
7 scholastics (2 male, 5 female) (6 seniors, 1 sophomore) (4 with a PSAT above 200) (1 returner: #1 in state)
7 varsity (2 male, 5 female) (4 seniors, 2 juniors, and 1 sophomore) (none with a PSAT above 200) (0 returners)

This is, of course, prior to running the master schedule and prior to cowards running at the sight of the resources. I'm really excited and confident about honors and scholastics; the varsities are an unknown but could be solid (I only hope as solid as last year's bunch). It should be noted that I do not believe experience as a decathlete to be a guarantee of success (the #3 honors, the #2 scholastic, the #1 and #3 varsity in Tx. medium school state were all newbies). I also am aware that a PSAT score above 200 does not guarantee success.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
acadecker
post May 12 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 25

Nothing guarantees success; however, 200+ PSAT scores don't hurt! You have more 200+ PSAT scores on your team in one year than I have had in 20 years. I get about one every 4 to 7 years; maybe we've had 5 or 7 kids, tops, over the past 21 years. I can't imagine what having 9 all at once would be like. My one current kid with a 200+ PSAT score has been nick-named "Jesus" by the rest of the kids--not the "Hey Zeus" pronunciation--it's because to them, he walks on water (as far as scoring goes). He might be my first 8,000 point scorer in ACADEC. He works very hard, and puts in a lot of time and effort, which is why he scores well--but that's also why his PSAT score is high. Test scores don't (only) indicate intelligence; they also indicate how hard people have worked up until now.

Oh well; it is what it is!

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post May 12 2011, 04:14 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (Gear @ May 11 2011, 10:09 AM) *

8 honors (4 male, 4 female) (4 seniors, 3 juniors, and 1 sophomore)(5 with a PSAT above 200) (1 returner: #3 in state)
7 scholastics (2 male, 5 female) (6 seniors, 1 sophomore) (4 with a PSAT above 200) (1 returner: #1 in state)
7 varsity (2 male, 5 female) (4 seniors, 2 juniors, and 1 sophomore) (none with a PSAT above 200) (0 returners)

This is, of course, prior to running the master schedule and prior to cowards running at the sight of the resources. I'm really excited and confident about honors and scholastics; the varsities are an unknown but could be solid (I only hope as solid as last year's bunch). It should be noted that I do not believe experience as a decathlete to be a guarantee of success (the #3 honors, the #2 scholastic, the #1 and #3 varsity in Tx. medium school state were all newbies). I also am aware that a PSAT score above 200 does not guarantee success.

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's round up who's playing for second!

+Quote Post
Guest_Gear_*
post May 12 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (JSC @ May 11 2011, 11:14 PM) *
QUOTE (Gear @ May 11 2011, 10:09 AM) *

Now that we've got that out of the way, let's round up who's playing for second!

No way our roster is a lock for anything. We'll be competitive but there are many great programs out there that will prevent a year like this last one from occurring again. If they'd post their rosters, you'd see what I mean.

+Quote Post
Guest_Danton_*
post May 12 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #5

Guests

This is, of course, prior to running the master schedule and prior to cowards running at the sight of the resources. I'm really excited and confident about honors and scholastics; the varsities are an unknown but could be solid (I only hope as solid as last year's bunch). It should be noted that I do not believe experience as a decathlete to be a guarantee of success (the #3 honors, the #2 scholastic, the #1 and #3 varsity in Tx. medium school state were all newbies). I also am aware that a PSAT score above 200 does not guarantee success.[/quote]
[/quote]
No way our roster is a lock for anything. We'll be competitive but there are many great programs out there that will prevent a year like this last one from occurring again. If they'd post their rosters, you'd see what I mean.
[/quote]

HP has a pretty large team this year. I'm not betting against Gear. I think he just said they'll be competitive. It's a lock.
Oh well, here's what I've got at this point:

17 Honors (H3 at state last year) (7 PSAT over 200) (2 sophomores, 6 juniors and 9 seniors)
33 Scholastic (S2 at state, and he may be a varsity this time around) (13 PSAT over 200) (3 sophs, 13 jrs, 17 srs)
16 Varsity (1 PSAT over 200) (7 jrs and 9 srs)

I'm going to have to talk to Irish about what to do with this many kids. They just kept saying yes when I was recruiting. 66 said yes and about 24 said no. It may have even become "cool" to be a decathlete at HP. Now I just have to figure out how to coach and triple my copy count! blush.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 12 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #6

Guests

See gear on cowardice tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_tdanderson_*
post May 12 2011, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Guests

8 honors (1 returner, PSAT score over 200, and the champion of my WSC teams- this kid is a beast)
17 scholastics (2 returners)
18 varsities (2 returners)

I know that not all of those kids will make it to October though- about half will quit before we go to the first practice competition. Still, I am thrilled to have those kinds of numbers to start with, especially when I'm working so hard to build this program! smile.gif

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post May 12 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

We have a lot of rebuilding to do. We're returning 1 honors (>8k), 3 scholastic, and no varsity. For the first time in three years, I will not have good returning varsity.

We have 39 kids signed up for the class, but I have no idea who they are, except one of them is my son, who will be a freshman scholastic. Of those 39, 12 are frosh. Should be an interesting year.

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post May 12 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Guests

All this PSAT swagger is making me envious and nervous. On our team from this past year our highest PSAT was 182 lowest 150ish. Highest PSAT on the campus was a 190, but that person dropped out of school. Danton? 66 kids? wow! Kids love being part of something successful...except in Alice chicken.gif

Alice will have 4 honors (highest PSAT 175; 3 juniors, 1 senior), 5 Scholastics (highest PSAT in 160's; 3 juniors, 2 seniors), and 4 Varsities (highest PSAT 170; 4 juniors). It sounds small but this will be the first time that we have enough to cover all 9 spots when the school year starts. This past year we didn't have our varsities until almost November. The ones we took to 7Lakes were dropped a few weeks later and replaced with sophmores. The group sounds small but once you get out of the top ten in our school it's a huge drop off.

Good News: all 13 trying out have been on one of my teams since 7th grade, so what we lack in raw PSAT-titude we will try to counter with 'group brain power' and team chemistry turtles2hc9.png

+Quote Post
Guest_JP_Irish_*
post May 13 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Danton @ May 12 2011, 11:06 AM) *
I'm going to have to talk to Irish about what to do with this many kids.

In 2008 we had over 50 kids trying out, we added 2 class periods for AcaDec to handle the number of kids. Having the two periods was very nice, becasue it added some flexibility with scheduling and allowed some kids in the class without having to make them make a choice between AD and something else.

We have not had that many since then. It's nice to have numbers for competition, but I also think that really high numbers can be detrimental. Because we did not have 50 serious kids about making our team. Having too high numbers can make kids shut down way too early. You've only got 3 spots per level, some of those kids are going to feel like they don't have a chance and give up pretty early in the season. I actually had some kids fail AcaDec that year and we kicked out a bunch of kids at semester.

No clue what our team is going to look like. We are still adding kids every day it seems like. All I know is that we are probably going to be young, the majority of our kids trying out are going to be 9th and 10th graders. I also know we will see you all in Rockwall in Oct! popcorn.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Danton_*
post May 13 2011, 04:21 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (J Eberhard @ May 12 2011, 03:04 PM) *
All this PSAT swagger is making me envious and nervous. On our team from this past year our highest PSAT was 182 lowest 150ish. Highest PSAT on the campus was a 190, but that person dropped out of school. Danton? 66 kids? wow! Kids love being part of something successful...except in Alice chicken.gif

Alice will have 4 honors (highest PSAT 175; 3 juniors, 1 senior), 5 Scholastics (highest PSAT in 160's; 3 juniors, 2 seniors), and 4 Varsities (highest PSAT 170; 4 juniors). It sounds small but this will be the first time that we have enough to cover all 9 spots when the school year starts. This past year we didn't have our varsities until almost November. The ones we took to 7Lakes were dropped a few weeks later and replaced with sophmores. The group sounds small but once you get out of the top ten in our school it's a huge drop off.

Good News: all 13 trying out have been on one of my teams since 7th grade, so what we lack in raw PSAT-titude we will try to counter with 'group brain power' and team chemistry turtles2hc9.png

If anyone would ever want to argue that it's all "the community" and coaching doesn't make much difference, only has to look at your program to see why they are wrong. You beat us this year and I know you will have your kids right up there again in 2012. I don't feel sorry for you at all. bow.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post May 13 2011, 05:34 AM
Post #12

Guests

I had four varsity, seven scholastics, and one honors willing to commit to signing an interest sheet. I need to find some honors to counter University High's 3 returning Honors students.

+Quote Post
acadecker
post May 13 2011, 06:08 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 25

Wouldn't it be great if we could trade players, like in the major leagues? I could trade someone a young, up and coming Honors for an old, used varsity . . .

+Quote Post
Guest_Gurkha_*
post May 13 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #14

Guests

Things are looking pretty good - we graduated all our 'scoring' Team members. Have a great bunch of sophmores that will be juniors next year - they are really eager but dont really get being 'competative' yet. I can already tell they think they will cram in September and then they are done for the year. It will be interesting. Have 8 Honors, 5 Scholastic and WOW! 7 Varsity - I hope they stick with it.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post May 14 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

We have 28 trying out, with 3 honors, 2 scholastics, and 2 varsities (1 s-turned-v) returning, including 5 counters from regions and 4 from state (v2 sick). We expect lots of competition top-to-bottom.

As for my role, officially there is no position for me at PHS or in the ISD. I can get a sub position, but before I assume that will be my job next year (which would include a 2nd job) I am going to look at a lot of other positions in Houston and Austin. My dream right now is to get in with Jim Crane, a Houston businessman looking to buy the Astros from Uncle Drayton; if I can get caught up in the turnover of the team, that would be pretty fantastic. Austin is still a huge possibility because I love it here and would not wish to leave until I'm no longer young. Either way, I will help the team as much as I can, and hopefully it will be enough.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 14 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Guests

We have a class for the first time in four years, so that's a big plus.

We're returning our H1, H2, S1 (who will be an honors next year), and V1, but I haven't met any of the new kids yet. Hopefully some of them will be interesting.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post May 22 2011, 04:52 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ May 14 2011, 06:31 PM) *
We have a class for the first time in four years, so that's a big plus.

Don't think I could have done what I did without the class.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 24 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #18

Guests

Apparently, we have 44 kids signed up for the program. If we can get half that on Friday, I will be impressed.

+Quote Post
Guest_Higginbotham_*
post May 24 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #19

Guests

We had a pretty good turn out at our introductory meetings. Lots of freshmen.

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post May 24 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #20

Guests

music cd's, novels, reproduction guides came in yesterday. First meeting completed. All materials dispersed for our 13 kids and Octathlon. In coming freshmen don't get material until the fall (the sheer volume has made some quit from intimidation in the past so we bring them along slower). Mandatory rest time until June 1st (just finished April 29)... some have still snuck in a novel read.

The end of May for Decathlon is like nfl OTA's or mlb spring training... the energy of hope and excitement abounds ... very refreshing approach compared to the panic in the final weeks before state. jump.gif Just need to put together our schedule for the year.

Have a great summer everyone!

+Quote Post

15 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 04:47 AM