Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Round One in LAUSD
Abuelo
post Oct 19 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 123

The deadline for submitting commitments for Round One in LAUSD was last Friday. It looks like we will have about 820 Decathletes from 63 teams competing at six different sites on November 13. The students will take the seven objective tests. Three additional teams should be ready for Round Two so I anticipate having 66 teams in our regional competition. The Decathletes and Coaches are very excited about the competition this year so I think we will have a good one. How is Round One shaping up in other parts of the country? cool.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JP_Irish
post Oct 19 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 82

So we going to get some scores from that meet?

--------------------
John P. Irish
AcaDec Coach

John Paul II High School
Plano, Texas
"Fear the Cardinal!"

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Oct 20 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartandecathlon @ Oct 19 2010, 10:03 PM) *

Sure. I don't give much credence to scores at this point, but most of my coaches do. I will post the top twenty or so.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Oct 20 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 284

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 20 2010, 12:43 PM) *

Sure. I don't give much credence to scores at this point, but most of my coaches do. I will post the top twenty or so.
cool.gif

Nobody does much talking in my neck of the woods. I find more information in sunny LA than from schools just a few miles from my own. If the usual trends hold true, University will be on top, Hallmark will compete, Edison's late start will translate to a tall mountain to climb, and Bullard will remain a mystery until November 17. But what do I know?

+Quote Post
JP_Irish
post Oct 21 2010, 03:09 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 20 2010, 02:43 PM) *

cool.gif

Neither do I, but it's nice to see where the rest of us stack up against the top of the country.

--------------------
John P. Irish
AcaDec Coach

John Paul II High School
Plano, Texas
"Fear the Cardinal!"

+Quote Post
Gear
post Oct 21 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 157

QUOTE (spartandecathlon @ Oct 20 2010, 10:09 PM) *
QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 20 2010, 02:43 PM) *

cool.gif

Neither do I, but it's nice to see where the rest of us stack up against the top of the country.

This is why we're eagerly awaiting Seven Lakes scores tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JP_Irish
post Oct 21 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

LOL. You've seen what we got Gear. You'll probably be running rapshod over us in two weeks!

So Abuelo, who are some of the heavy hitters participating in the Rd. 1 at your place?

--------------------
John P. Irish
AcaDec Coach

John Paul II High School
Plano, Texas
"Fear the Cardinal!"

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Oct 22 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartandecathlon @ Oct 21 2010, 03:52 PM) *
LOL. You've seen what we got Gear. You'll probably be running rapshod over us in two weeks!

So Abuelo, who are some of the heavy hitters participating in the Rd. 1 at your place?

Too early to know that. Stay tuned for the Scrimmage (Round 1) results. That information may give us an indication as to how teams shape up at this point. Some of our teams have done well in R1 and R2.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
JP_Irish
post Oct 22 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I was curious what schools actually compete in your Rd. 1, is it the typical heavy hitters, ECR, Moorpark, Marshall, Granada Hills, and so on? Or do those schools keep to themselves, because it seems like we get no scores from Cali till official competitions.

--------------------
John P. Irish
AcaDec Coach

John Paul II High School
Plano, Texas
"Fear the Cardinal!"

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Oct 29 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartandecathlon @ Oct 22 2010, 07:28 PM) *
I was curious what schools actually compete in your Rd. 1, is it the typical heavy hitters, ECR, Moorpark, Marshall, Granada Hills, and so on? Or do those schools keep to themselves, because it seems like we get no scores from Cali till official competitions.

Moorpark is in Ventura County; a separate region. I don't believe that they are planning to compete again this year.

We have lots of heavy hitters here in LAUSD. That is one of the reasons why our teams do so well in State and Nationals. Some of our schools do much better in round two than one. And in round three than round two. And in round four than round three.

Speaking of keeping to themselves, some of my coaches have requested that I not publish the team names when I provide the round one scores. I will honor that request, but most of y'all out there in Aca Deca Land are resourceful and will be able to figure out who is who.

And any Decathletes from LAUSD who are wasting their time doing things other than studying had better not let their teammates down!
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Oct 29 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 29 2010, 01:29 PM) *

Moorpark is in Ventura County; a separate region. I don't believe that they are planning to compete again this year.

We have lots of heavy hitters here in LAUSD. That is one of the reasons why our teams do so well in State and Nationals. Some of our schools do much better in round two than one. And in round three than round two. And in round four than round three.

Speaking of keeping to themselves, some of my coaches have requested that I not publish the team names when I provide the round one scores. I will honor that request, but most of y'all out there in Aca Deca Land are resourceful and will be able to figure out who is who.

And any Decathletes from LAUSD who are wasting their time doing things other than studying had better not let their teammates down!
cool.gif

I guess we'd try a little harder if we didn't see Marshall, Granada, and El Camino at the top. It seems silly to me, but then again our round 1 scores are always pretty average.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Oct 29 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #12

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 29 2010, 08:29 PM) *

cool.gif

So every team will be anonymous?

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Nov 1 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrew Hartman @ Oct 29 2010, 11:54 PM) *
QUOTE (Abuelo @ Oct 29 2010, 08:29 PM) *

cool.gif

So every team will be anonymous?

Correcto. I will publish scores only. Again, I don't give much credence to round one scores. The range should be enough for those that want to know.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 1 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #14

Well I guess we'll just have someone from the meet unofficially give us names.

You have some lame coaches in LAUSD. Their score or lack of will be noticed come regionals; why's it a big deal to see what's up months in advance?

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Nov 1 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #15

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Andrew Hartman @ Nov 1 2010, 11:10 AM) *
Well I guess we'll just have someone from the meet unofficially give us names.

You have some lame coaches in LAUSD. Their score or lack of will be noticed come regionals; why's it a big deal to see what's up months in advance?

We got coaches like that in Texas, too... but it's not lameness, it's personal preference. I won't put down student names until I've chosen a team... my preference...

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
VarsityBoy
post Nov 2 2010, 02:58 AM
Post #16

Captain of DUST

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 32

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 1 2010, 08:45 PM) *
We got coaches like that in Texas, too... but it's not lameness, it's personal preference. I won't put down student names until I've chosen a team... my preference...

Any particular reason for that?

--------------------
Sorry for partying
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Aug 29 2011, 05:23 PM) *
A great injustice
Rory McIlroy is gone
Cody threads remain

"Assimilationism"

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post Nov 2 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I think having your school assigned to a score puts a certain amount of pressure on you. If your score is high then people start to consider the school's history to say whether they should be expected to keep up the quality. If a traditional power, say North Hollywood doesn't produce well then there is a lot of negative talk that can bring a team down. I guess it makes sense that everyone know the scores, but I always like to know who I'm chasing.

+Quote Post
beregond
post Nov 2 2010, 05:31 AM
Post #18

Leftenant of the big guns

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Oct 29 2010, 03:28 PM) *

cool.gif

I guess we'd try a little harder if we didn't see Marshall, Granada, and El Camino at the top. It seems silly to me, but then again our round 1 scores are always pretty average.

You guys are a bit off - often times at scrimmage, you don't see those kinds of teams at the top - or you get quite a few early surprises that may or may not affect the rest of the year.
And coaches choose not to reveal their team's scrimmage score because there's really no need to. From their viewpoint, why do you really need to know? Just as it seems silly to you guys that they don't reveal the scores, because everyone will know Round 2, it seems just as silly from theirs why you guys DO need to know, since everyone will know on Round 2. It's not about other people knowing your score and "pressure." I didn't care after scrimmage, all I knew was that I needed to get better, and what I especially needed to get better in. Other teams' scores shouldn't matter, only your own. It doesn't matter what the others are doing - just keep studying.

This post has been edited by beregond: Nov 2 2010, 05:32 AM

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 2 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (beregond @ Nov 2 2010, 06:31 AM) *
QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Oct 29 2010, 03:28 PM) *

cool.gif

You guys are a bit off - often times at scrimmage, you don't see those kinds of teams at the top - or you get quite a few early surprises that may or may not affect the rest of the year.
And coaches choose not to reveal their team's scrimmage score because there's really no need to. From their viewpoint, why do you really need to know? Just as it seems silly to you guys that they don't reveal the scores, because everyone will know Round 2, it seems just as silly from theirs why you guys DO need to know, since everyone will know on Round 2. It's not about other people knowing your score and "pressure." I didn't care after scrimmage, all I knew was that I needed to get better, and what I especially needed to get better in. Other teams' scores shouldn't matter, only your own. It doesn't matter what the others are doing - just keep studying.

Um, sorry to prove you wrong, but that's EXACTLY who you see at the top at scrimmages in LAUSD. Marshall, Granada Hills, and El Camino were far and away the best three last year, and none of that was surprising. 2009, ECR, North Hollywood, Palisades, Granada Hills, and Marshall were the top. 2008: NoHo, Palisades, Taft, Granada Hills, El Camino Real were the top 5. None of those teams are surprises to me; the only surprises you see every year are teams becoming absolute trash.

And while I'll agree that it's not necessary to the process, you already proved one of the counterpoints as to why coaches wouldn't want it. I feel that it is probably those coaches from places like NoHo and Palisades who slipped up a bit last year, and then we were all like "damnnnnn, where they at?"

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
dog
post Nov 2 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #20

Big V

Group: Crystal Clears
Member No.: 666

The entire point of scrimages is to compare yourself to other people. If you didn't want to compare then why would you go to scrimages? And really you're only good in acdec relative to other people. Your 900 isn't good if everyone else scores 920, and 600 might not be that bad if everyone else scored 400.

--------------------
Joseph Haisten
Rockwall Varsity

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 04:00 AM