Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of your team, Let's hear about how you're doing
Guest_Herohito_*
post Sep 2 2015, 03:01 AM
Post #61

Guests

Taking care of the competing members is rather obvious, really. But also you have to develop your non-competing team members, especially the underclassmen who still have a few years left in them. Some people take a while to get into the spirit and start getting good results, and those are also worth working with. For those that work best in a group, you can pair them with competition members and make them study partners or partners for performance practice. Though in my experience, if you leave people mostly to their own devices, they will find their own place on the team or they will leave because it's not what they want to do.

So in short: show them the ropes, and then let them do what they choose to do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Sep 4 2015, 03:05 AM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (kdarrow @ Sep 2 2015, 01:49 AM) *
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Sep 1 2015, 12:35 PM) *
I have 8 freshmen, 11 sophomores, 4 juniors and 9 seniors.

Wow! I guess I never knew that you had so many on the team. How do you work with that many? The most I ever had to start the year was 16 and I nearly lost my sanity that year. This year I have 12, 7 seniors and 5 juniors, all newbies. This will be the most underclassmen in Jefferson history.

That's a young team EDC. We still do the all juniors and seniors thing, mostly because I recruit out of my AP World History class of sophomores. We also have Octathlon so the youngsters are in that. On top of that, we have an academy where those kids have to take either 2 math or science AP/Pre-Ap classes every year, making it difficult to have kids in the class for 3/4 years.

I have had some reshuffling in our varsities- dropped 2 who weren't putting in much time for 2 who could be a part of the team. We have 6 honors, 14 scholastics, and 8 or 9 varsities. The honors are solid- we have one returner who was 8.9k last year, and the other two are juniors who are keeping competitive with the returner. The other 3 are outside of class (one of them our 7.8k scholastic from last year) and 2 of them are putting in work but the in-class kids are doing well.

The scholastics are insanely competitive; we have two returners (7.7k and the 7.2k honors from last year) who both are currently outside of our top 3. I think we may have some seriously stellar scholastics. It is going to be rough cutting this group to 3 because there are 10 seriously competitive kids so far. I feel like some of them may fall off seeing the odds, but it's impressive to say the least.

The varsities are, well, the varsities. We have one kid going gangbusters (6.8k returning scholastic who played as honors now varsity lol) and will be a huge boost, but with one returner (6k returner) not much involved, we have another (6.5k) who is hot and cold and I really need him to step up. I have some solid juniors in varsity but they are being varsities about studying consistently.

We're finishing science today and will be done w/music in 2 weeks. By December we will have read everything once, plus I had the kids read three resources over the summer (sosci and 2 of their choice). I am very excited and I am confident in our abilities, but I have set the bar supremely high for these kids. We met our goals last year (make top 10) so we feel we can meet this year's, but it's a whole new thing for us to be trying to compete at this level. We have five of the six scorers, I just need one more to give us a complete team.

+Quote Post
Guest_JSC_*
post Sep 7 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #63

Guests

Word on the street is that Dulles is top five, and probably top three.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Sep 7 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #64

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (JSC @ Sep 7 2015, 09:34 AM) *

Potentially top one...? popcorn.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Sep 8 2015, 05:49 AM
Post #65

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Sep 7 2015, 03:29 PM) *

We know all Texas State Champion teams know they're special before the year truly starts, but they will forever sandbag. mudkip.gif

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Sep 9 2015, 03:27 AM
Post #66

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Sep 8 2015, 05:49 AM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Sep 7 2015, 03:29 PM) *

We know all Texas State Champion teams know they're special before the year truly starts, but they will forever sandbag. mudkip.gif

I can understand the sandbagging of the past now. I totally think we're capable, but I am always nervous about our chances. The stakes are too high to take anything for granted, and I don't want to anoint anything because the competition is so strong. Pearland could easily win again, Friendswood should be just as strong if not stronger, Coppell seems to be poised for something big, HP will always be near the top, Katy Taylor looks to be on the rise again, and there's a million other teams and factors standing in the way of any one team winning, including us. I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time.

JSC, I hope the word on the street wasn't just from me tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Sep 28 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #67

Guests

Fingers crossed. Today is the big day; our start of Academic Decathlon. I've gotten a few "I decided not to do it" emails, but not too many. I hold out hope.

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Dec 3 2015, 04:00 AM
Post #68

Advanced Member

We're a week and a half out from Round 1, which also determines our final 9 from the 23 we have. The big win at Friendswood (shocking to literally everyone- when they announced the 5th through 2nd teams, they thought we were 6th since they had just beaten us; it was a great surprise smile.gif ) really sparked the team. Thanksgiving was hit and miss, but that's how it is for everyone. We are finishing econ up now, while also reviewing our weak spots (looking at you, music art and sosci).

Our round 1 meet also doubles as the district championship- with a team like Clements, who has won for forever, this is a big deal for us. Subjectives are also there, so we are really focusing on speech and impromptu. I am not putting any expectations on this team anymore- as long as we continue to work as hard as we can, the sky is the limit. Our V1 has been slacking, but our V2 finally finished band and is really putting in the work. Our scholastics, who were pretty dominant at Friendswood, are speeding up rather than slowing down which is amazing. Our final cut of the scholastics will be rough- we had 8 or 9 over 4.3k, and they would be on most of the teams in the state with a score like that. Our honors responded pretty well and cut down their margin between us and Pearland/HP honors, but I do not know how they will do come next Saturday.

The other super-cool thing, which tells me a lot about our program I think, is that four kids who did not make the team last year have come back and all increased over 1,000 points since last year so far on tests alone. It has been something truly amazing to see.

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post Dec 22 2015, 01:25 AM
Post #69

Guests

Going into Winter Break, I am utterly terrified of what is Morton Ranch's first and possibly last chance to make a splash at the state level. As of R1, I believe we are certainly poised for top 20 in Texas so long as we continue working. This year has certainly been lackluster in terms of effort given by our kids, but we're definitely better off than we have been in the past. Our H1 is a freaking genius if he will just read the guides (pulled an 820 on R1 Lit after just glancing at the guide), our H3 seems to be working hard to count, S1 (myself) and S2 (Patrick, BUWHA on this board) are working hard to catch back up to Dulles after the whooping they dealt to us at R1, S3 is a Sophomore who is currently on track to break 7k, which would be a fantastic start for her Decathlon career, and our Varsities are... Well, varsities.

Going into Regionals, I'm worried about how our team will hold up against the other teams. At this point, Dulles is but an unreachable goal, but I do definitely want to close the gap between us and them. I fear our Honors will become discouraged having to face 3 of the top Honors in the state (Oishik Saha, Scott Lin, and Brian Bell), but it will be a learning experience considering the bloodbath that is to come at State. A huge motivator for me has been Allison Yelvington's constant growth and her ability thus far to just completely and totally whoop my butt-- She helped to light a fire under me, even though I've never exchanged a word with her. I really hope our kids are studying right now, but it's extremely hard to tell. Everybody has their priorities, and Decathlon is unfortunately not the top one for anyone but me (though, to be fair, I'm borderline obsessed). We're taking the Hard tests between now and Regionals, with Math being next Monday and the rest of the tests the week we return from break.

Subjectives have been somewhat of a struggle for us as of late, but after today's interview practice, I feel like everybody is finally starting to really open up and get a hold of who they are as Decathletes (and, to an extent, who they are as people).

I believe that we are capable of reaching 45k by State, but at this point, my only goal is for us to do as well as we are able-- so long as we leave it all on the table and can walk away knowing we worked hard, I can finish my senior year happy and proud of all that these kids have done. This could be a new chapter for Morton Ranch, and I'm immensely glad I was able to start it with them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Dec 22 2015, 03:18 AM
Post #70

Guests

I will tell you that as a competitor the best you can do is not to worry too much about it. Stress is highly detrimental to competition member performance. Leave that worrying to the coaches who don't have to compete.

Just do your best and accept the result that you get.

This post has been edited by Herohito: Dec 22 2015, 03:19 AM

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 5 2016, 02:57 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Whether we win or not, we have a dang committed team. These kids are all in, all 9 of them.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2016, 03:01 AM
Post #72

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Jan 4 2016, 08:57 PM) *
Whether we win or not, we have a dang committed team. These kids are all in, all 9 of them.

Such a short post, yet so very terrifying drama2.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Jan 5 2016, 05:13 AM
Post #73

Guests

Current State of Edgewood High School:

California.

+Quote Post
post Jan 5 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #74

Guests

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Jan 4 2016, 11:13 PM) *

California.

Get outta here tongue.gif

+Quote Post
madcap
post Jan 9 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Jan 5 2016, 12:13 AM) *

California.

Allan, I love you!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2018 - 04:59 AM