Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of your team, Let's hear about how you're doing
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Feb 27 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #41

Guests

We've only fielded a full team of nine once in the last five years (2011).

2014 only 2 scholastics and 2 varsities

2013 only 2 varsities

2012 only 2 scholastics and 2 varsities

2011 all nine

2010 only 2 varsities

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Feb 27 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #42

Guests

Yeah, definitely been there before. The problem is that 90% of the time, students are varsities precisely because they aren't really up for the kind of studying AD requires.

To my great surprise, I've found that scholastics definitely cause me more grief. Too unpredictable.

This post has been edited by Herohito: Feb 27 2014, 08:07 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Gurkha_*
post Mar 6 2014, 01:29 AM
Post #43

Guests

I'm back...after awhile...one of those Texas Coaches that left. To clear things up I needed a forum for just Texas issues. Two years ago I was in my third year of coaching and simply overwhelmed by school, AcDec, etc. I am in a more comfortable position now and have realized how much I have checked demidectalk...so...it's time to dive back in.

I am a supporter of transparency on team scores, lesson planning and such. More importantly I think scores should be publicly displayed for an entire competition. This includes putting scores in newspapers and online forums.

It's exciting to see all this interest in AcDec.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Mar 6 2014, 02:22 AM
Post #44

Guests

QUOTE (Gurkha @ Mar 5 2014, 07:29 PM) *
I'm back...after awhile...one of those Texas Coaches that left. To clear things up I needed a forum for just Texas issues. Two years ago I was in my third year of coaching and simply overwhelmed by school, AcDec, etc. I am in a more comfortable position now and have realized how much I have checked demidectalk...so...it's time to dive back in.

I am a supporter of transparency on team scores, lesson planning and such. More importantly I think scores should be publicly displayed for an entire competition. This includes putting scores in newspapers and online forums.

It's good to see you! Congratulations on the fourth-best Regionals-to-State increase among large schools.

+Quote Post
Guest_jerryz123_*
post Mar 6 2014, 03:10 AM
Post #45

Guests

For 2014-2015:

Our Honors are all staying. Our top scholastic is becoming an Honors. Our second best scholastic and top varsity are graduating.

Thinking about recruiting for next year is giving me a headache. Our team is run as a club, and without too much teacher support. If we were a class, we could be the "cool class" that chills and has fun. However, as a club, its hard to compete with activities such as Science Olympiad and Mock Trial that have a less rigid curriculum and are more specialized competitions. Most of the people who show up to our recruitment meetings take one look at the packets, say "I'm not smart enough for this", and never come back. I've only been able to coerce my friends into sticking with the club and putting the work in.

How do you sell Acdec to your students? How do you convince them that its worth putting in time for?

+Quote Post
Guest_Gurkha_*
post Mar 6 2014, 04:00 AM
Post #46

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Mar 5 2014, 08:22 PM) *

It's good to see you! Congratulations on the fourth-best Regionals-to-State increase among large schools.

Thanks Marin. By the way, in case nobody knows this, Coppell had the #1and # 2 honors during state going into the Art and Social Studies Test. One scored a 820 in art, the other 770 in SS, but Marin dominated. Dominated I say. Good job.

Marin, have you looked at that scoring process???

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Mar 6 2014, 04:10 AM
Post #47

Guests

QUOTE (Gurkha @ Mar 5 2014, 10:00 PM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Mar 5 2014, 08:22 PM) *

Thanks Marin. By the way, in case nobody knows this, Coppell had the #1and # 2 honors during state going into the Art and Social Studies Test. One scored a 820 in art, the other 770 in SS, but Marin dominated. Dominated I say. Good job.

Marin, have you looked at that scoring process???

I did something good in art and social sci? This I did not know. Happy Marin. And thank you!

What scoring process do you mean?

+Quote Post
Guest_Gurkha_*
post Mar 6 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #48

Guests

Look at the team score sheets, your coach should have them, and add up the subject scores, in chronological order. As you keep a running total you will see the competition emerge along the way. This is why I feel live scoring should be public.

However, I actually only tracked the top teams now that I realize it. You may have been in the lead before then. You kinda snuck in on us ya know.

Coppell H1 was #2 in essay and #1 in Lang Lit + high interv and speech.

Say hi to your coach for me.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Mar 6 2014, 11:57 PM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE (Gurkha @ Mar 6 2014, 06:56 AM) *
Look at the team score sheets, your coach should have them, and add up the subject scores, in chronological order. As you keep a running total you will see the competition emerge along the way. This is why I feel live scoring should be public.

However, I actually only tracked the top teams now that I realize it. You may have been in the lead before then. You kinda snuck in on us ya know.

Coppell H1 was #2 in essay and #1 in Lang Lit + high interv and speech.

Say hi to your coach for me.

Oh, then yes, I did check that out. I ran and competed in a tiny private scrimmage in the fall, and watching the scores unfold throughout the day was really fun.

I was pretty sure I hadn't gotten a lead out of art and SS. I was in the mid-800s on both. Science and music helped me quite nicely.

Someone had a great Friday!

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Aug 27 2015, 10:52 PM
Post #50

Guests

I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting. We just started school last week and I feel if I start approaching people while they're still trying to figure out the new school year I will turn people off. At the same time I'd really like to know who is considering doing decathlon. It's quite the dilemma. I have 3 returning honors. Everything else is completely up in the air. I could have a solid roster. I could have no one. I'm going to try to give it two more weeks. sick0009.gif

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Aug 28 2015, 08:40 AM
Post #51

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Aug 27 2015, 06:52 PM) *
I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting. We just started school last week and I feel if I start approaching people while they're still trying to figure out the new school year I will turn people off. At the same time I'd really like to know who is considering doing decathlon. It's quite the dilemma. I have 3 returning honors. Everything else is completely up in the air. I could have a solid roster. I could have no one. I'm going to try to give it two more weeks. sick0009.gif

Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation... hopefully you have people come forward as interested soon though. Are both of the Sherriff brothers Honors this year?

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Aug 28 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #52

Guests

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Aug 27 2015, 03:52 PM) *

I recommend a gentle reminder. We always started in the summer, which made it slightly more clear who was actively involved in the program. When we had a class, that made it rather explicitly clear.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Aug 28 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #53

Guests

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Aug 28 2015, 01:40 AM) *
QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Aug 27 2015, 06:52 PM) *

Yeah, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation... hopefully you have people come forward as interested soon though. Are both of the Sherriff brothers Honors this year?

Yes. between Rumi, Zain, and Ben Drake we should be ok in the Honors category. As for scholastics and varsity it just depends on who actually decides to give themselves to the cause.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Aug 29 2015, 10:36 PM
Post #54

Guests

One of the best things about your program is that the pacing is incredibly unique. However, I don't think anyone can help you here too much, because your program truly is one of a kind. Maybe get together with your honors and discuss it more if you haven't? Your decathletes probably know more than you do in regard to the students and their priorities. Or possibly talk to former decathletes of yours and see if they have any advice. I am guessing you don't have a class like us. I wish you good luck, and know you will be in Division 1 when March comes around.

+Quote Post
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Aug 31 2015, 04:37 AM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Aug 29 2015, 03:36 PM) *

One of the best things about your program is that the pacing is incredibly unique. However, I don't think anyone can help you here too much, because your program truly is one of a kind. Maybe get together with your honors and discuss it more if you haven't? Your decathletes probably know more than you do in regard to the students and their priorities. Or possibly talk to former decathletes of yours and see if they have any advice. I am guessing you don't have a class like us. I wish you good luck, and know you will be in Division 1 when March comes around.

D1. Where hopes and dreams come crashing down time after time. I still don't know what to think about the D2 championship. Maybe it was getting a blank trophy (CAD mailed the championship plate a month after the ceremony). Maybe it was the strange strained relationship with last year's group. I don't know. It wasn't an exhilarating experience. No recognition by our school or district. Ho-hum. I guess it's all good as long as they continue paying the bills I suppose. I expect mid D1 so long as a couple of my prospects stick to it. If they do we might even be able to give UHS a run for their money...

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Sep 1 2015, 01:40 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

Although I am loaded with scholastics, I am very weak in varsities (after a wonderful two-year run with three outstanding decathletes, including my son). My team will be largely newbies. My top honors is currently a sophomore cheerleader.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post Sep 1 2015, 03:30 AM
Post #57

Guests

Is it still popular these days to have programs where only juniors and seniors can be involved in AcDec?

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ Aug 30 2015, 09:37 PM) *
No recognition by our school or district. Ho-hum. I guess it's all good as long as they continue paying the bills I suppose.

All well and good until it's time for you to leave, and you have no one to pass on the AD program to.

This post has been edited by Herohito: Sep 1 2015, 03:33 AM

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Sep 1 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3

I have 8 freshmen, 11 sophomores, 4 juniors and 9 seniors.

+Quote Post
Guest_Allan21996_*
post Sep 1 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #59

Guests

In the last five years there have been four freshmen who have broke 8400. There was also a 9000 point sophomore in 2014. Youngsters are becoming all the rage these days.

+Quote Post
Guest_kdarrow_*
post Sep 2 2015, 12:49 AM
Post #60

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Sep 1 2015, 12:35 PM) *
I have 8 freshmen, 11 sophomores, 4 juniors and 9 seniors.

Wow! I guess I never knew that you had so many on the team. How do you work with that many? The most I ever had to start the year was 16 and I nearly lost my sanity that year. This year I have 12, 7 seniors and 5 juniors, all newbies. This will be the most underclassmen in Jefferson history.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 05:50 AM