> Some fantastic stuff here, really...
Jonesy
post May 7 2009, 12:25 AM
Post #21

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (monica @ May 6 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Once we've got the schools to warrant it, I'm fairly certain we'll do our best to provide many more regional meets! We'd love to get more schools in Texas involved. Maybe you guys who already know about the program can bring it up to your friends? Word of mouth is a great resource.

I suppose I should try to convince some teams around here to do it, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested. Prep already competes in every academic competition known to man it seems. With the success that Burke has had in AD, maybe they could generate enough interest to field a SCup team too.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
j_ernzen
post May 7 2009, 05:41 AM
Post #22

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 144

QUOTE (debator @ May 5 2009, 10:15 PM) *
the best part of the SCup is clearly the debate and everybody knows it.

Definitely have to agree with that one! wink.gif Debate is something that I'm much more comfortable doing, and so it's one part of the competition that I actually look forward to.

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 7 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #23

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

As I've said before, I would love to replace the interview event in Aca-Deca with a debate. I never found Decathlon interviews to be a very accurate assessment of ability at all, though perhaps I'll feel differently once I start applying for real jobs.

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post May 7 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #24

Statistician in Residence

Member No.: 45

QUOTE (monica @ May 6 2009, 06:11 PM) *
Once we've got the schools to warrant it, I'm fairly certain we'll do our best to provide many more regional meets! We'd love to get more schools in Texas involved. Maybe you guys who already know about the program can bring it up to your friends? Word of mouth is a great resource.

You guys should really try and do, like, a southern regional meet. There are several schools in Durham that would really benefit from some sort of academic competition like SCup -- the Durham school of Arts and Sciences strikes me as a great prospect. It's essentially a feeder school to top schools in the country. Very rigorous. And I don't think NC has ever fielded an Academic Decathlon team, period. So it would be something new. A chance to sort of expand beyond the USAD-determined set of states that they really push, you know? Just a thought. I love SCup study materials. They're really nice.

I hope someday I am not-poor enough to afford the travel. It sounds like it'd be super fun.

This post has been edited by Dr. Roffles: May 7 2009, 07:06 AM

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 7 2009, 07:07 AM
Post #25

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Member No.: 16

North Carolina usually does field a team at nationals, but they score very poorly.

+Quote Post
Dr. Roffles
post May 7 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #26

Statistician in Residence

Member No.: 45

Oh, whoops. Just looked. Wow. I have been focusing on the upper tier of scores rather than the lower tier, so I can see why I missed that. Daaaamn, NC, what is this. That sucks. No wonder nobody at Duke knows about NC AcaDec.

--------------------
#welp

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 7 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #27

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Actually, no NC team was at Nationals 2009. Montana also did not show.

One more reason to boost SCup.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
madcap
post May 8 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #28

Alpwaaca

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Jonesy @ May 6 2009, 07:25 PM) *

I suppose I should try to convince some teams around here to do it, but I'm not sure if they'd be interested. Prep already competes in every academic competition known to man it seems. With the success that Burke has had in AD, maybe they could generate enough interest to field a SCup team too.

I heard that the Prep team last year went to Japan just for fun? Also, from what I've seen, SCup looks like a competition Prep would be really good at.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 8 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #29

Captain Hypertension

QUOTE (madcap @ May 7 2009, 09:41 PM) *
QUOTE (Jonesy @ May 6 2009, 07:25 PM) *

I heard that the Prep team last year went to Japan just for fun? Also, from what I've seen, SCup looks like a competition Prep would be really good at.

It wasn't the team per se, but mostly people who took the class, our had our coach as an english teacher, and they went to china.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alpaca
post May 12 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 60

Monica captured it really well. Making the curriculum free keeps costs lower for teams, helping to compensate for travel - though it of course makes operations challenging for us! We'd love to have more regional meets as we develop the infrastructure. Local host sites, step forward. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 12 2009, 02:48 AM
Post #31

Captain Hypertension

QUOTE (alpaca @ May 11 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Local host sites, step forward. smile.gif

What exactly do you need in a host site?

--------------------

+Quote Post
clarissa
post May 22 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #32

Group: Pink Panthers
Member No.: 160

I had wanted to compete in the World Scholar's Cup last year but the competition was the same day as the PA Decathlon Regional Competition. Do any of you know when the WSC's competition will be this year? Does it have Regional Competitions as well?

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 22 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #33

Captain Hypertension

QUOTE (clarissa @ May 21 2009, 07:14 PM) *
I had wanted to compete in the World Scholar's Cup last year but the competition was the same day as the PA Decathlon Regional Competition. Do any of you know when the WSC's competition will be this year? Does it have Regional Competitions as well?

The only "regional" competition that I'm aware of was optional this past year and was in AZ. Not sure about this upcoming year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
monica
post May 22 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #34

RIP Mountain Dew

Member No.: 70

We held a regional competition in Arizona, but regional qualification is not necessary if you want to compete at the world finals. This year, the competition will take place in Singapore at Nanyang Girls School on June 13th an 14th. We'd love to have you!

--------------------
Proposed curriculum theme for Scholar's Cup 2010: Goats on Boats

+Quote Post
j_ernzen
post May 23 2009, 05:10 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 144

QUOTE (monica @ May 21 2009, 06:17 PM) *

We held a regional competition in Arizona, but regional qualification is not necessary if you want to compete at the world finals. This year, the competition will take place in Singapore at Nanyang Girls School on June 13th an 14th. We'd love to have you!

Yeah, we just found out that none of our teams will be able to compete in Singapore. sad.gif So for the second year in a row, I'm not going to internationals. It sucks!

+Quote Post
monica
post May 23 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #36

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (j_ernzen @ May 23 2009, 12:10 AM) *
QUOTE (monica @ May 21 2009, 06:17 PM) *

Yeah, we just found out that none of our teams will be able to compete in Singapore. sad.gif So for the second year in a row, I'm not going to internationals. It sucks!

Noooooo!!! I thought you guys were going to pair up with the Westwood competitors :-( Does that mean they're not going to make it, either?

--------------------

+Quote Post
clarissa
post May 29 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #37

Thanks! I wish the competition wasn't so far away though. Is the theme announced for 2010 yet? I checked their website and only see the bit about the 2009 stuff.

+Quote Post
monica
post May 30 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #38

RIP Mountain Dew

Not yet! More likely after the world finals, which are the weekend after next.

--------------------

+Quote Post
clarissa
post May 31 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (monica @ May 30 2009, 03:34 PM) *

Any predictions? I looked at some of this year's stuff. Very interesting! I love how it goes along with some of the Decathlon stuff...not that I was really looking forward to studying Mexico anytime soon after Nationals were over.

+Quote Post
monica
post May 31 2009, 01:22 AM
Post #40

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (clarissa @ May 30 2009, 07:54 PM) *
QUOTE (monica @ May 30 2009, 03:34 PM) *

Any predictions? I looked at some of this year's stuff. Very interesting! I love how it goes along with some of the Decathlon stuff...not that I was really looking forward to studying Mexico anytime soon after Nationals were over.

I'm pulling for any theme that involves goats.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 09:30 AM