> Some fantastic stuff here, really...
zzzptm
post May 3 2009, 02:16 AM
Post #1

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

http://www.scholarscup.org/curriculum

I think part of a hesitancy of this board to embrace SCup comes from the fact that most of us come from an Academic Decathlon background and that humans by nature are conservative: we have trouble accepting the New.

This curriculum is different from USAD materials because it is open ended. There's room for debate here, which is part of the SCup competition, as most of us know.

Looking at the art curriculum, for example, there's an omission of content explicitly based upon fundamentals. Those can be assumed as one takes on the theme of the assembled works. By the way, for those disappointed at Versailles not being on this year's USAD list, it's on the 2008-2009 SCup curriculum. How 'bout them apples, huh?

The curriculum is free and you know it's from DemiDec, makers of Great Stuff ™. I'd like to see more folks here take a critical look at what's on offer here and, even if not competing in SCup, look into it anyway and see what value it has to offer. It's good stuff, and I'm going to do what I can to get it started at my school.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 3 2009, 02:28 AM
Post #2

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

The science topic looks amazing; sustainable development is a big interest of mine right now, and also obviously relevant to current issues. Determining the best way politics and markets can work together towards a sustainable future is probably the most important challenge of our day. I'll definitely have to read those materials...and I mean really read, not just put on the endless list of things I should be reading.

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post May 4 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 123

For a brief time, I was a history major. I looked at the history materials and they are awesome! This is a great concept and I look forward to see many CA teams involved in SC cool.gif

+Quote Post
monica
post May 5 2009, 04:50 AM
Post #4

RIP Mountain Dew

Member No.: 70

I think one of the coolest things about S Cup curriculum is that it has a pulse. The materials are very much relevant to the interest of the students. I mean, come on-- Serenity? The Reluctant Fundamentalist? Scholar's Cup definitely has an edge on USAD materials when it comes to readability and awesomeness. I have fun reading the DBQs students write; I can't imagine how boring the USAD essays must be to read....

--------------------
Proposed curriculum theme for Scholar's Cup 2010: Goats on Boats

+Quote Post
Skolastik
post May 5 2009, 10:44 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 59

QUOTE (monica @ May 4 2009, 09:50 PM) *
I think one of the coolest things about S Cup curriculum is that it has a pulse. The materials are very much relevant to the interest of the students. I mean, come on-- Serenity? The Reluctant Fundamentalist? Scholar's Cup definitely has an edge on USAD materials when it comes to readability and awesomeness. I have fun reading the DBQs students write; I can't imagine how boring the USAD essays must be to read....

Yeah I mean to be totally honest... USAD essays are, in all generality, not fun to write. If they arn't fun to write they can't be especially fun to read.

--------------------

+Quote Post
teeling
post May 5 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #6

board emperor emeritus

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I can't imagine how boring the USAD essays must be to read....

reading 20 essays on the novel and 10 essays on the super quiz that almost all say essentially the same thing... yeah, really tremendously boring. especially when you have to step back and try to separate them in your mind.

short version: the horror! the horror!

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 5 2009, 11:46 PM
Post #7

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (teeling @ May 5 2009, 06:34 PM) *

reading 20 essays on the novel and 10 essays on the super quiz that almost all say essentially the same thing... yeah, really tremendously boring. especially when you have to step back and try to separate them in your mind.

I'd rather read 30 USAD essays than read that book again dry.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 5 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #8

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Jonesy @ May 6 2009, 12:46 AM) *
QUOTE (teeling @ May 5 2009, 06:34 PM) *

I'd rather read 30 USAD essays than read that book again dry.gif

That book was amazing, ad Apocalypse Now is just as good, if not better.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 6 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #9

Typo Grasshopper

Group: Purple Hazes
Member No.: 87

SC really does have better materials, if only there was an easier way to compete.

--------------------
QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jul 12 2009, 03:54 PM) *
If Pearland wins, then yay. If Dobie wins, then yay. If Cinco Ranch wins, however, I will pull my hair out and jump into a vat of tar :P

It is every decathlete's job to take this as a guarantee.

+Quote Post
rickshawman
post May 6 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #10

A Decathlete No More :\

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 56

I think my favorite part of the competition was writing the essay, actually. Having the option to integrate the documents/evidence is something I really enjoy doing in writing (who doesn't like factual evidence to back up their own thoughts?), and the TIME given was absolutely amazing, I could go through and make sure everything was written precisely the way I wanted it. I know I'm a pretty good writer, but with USAD essays, they just don't .. give enough time for me to make sure everything is perfectly clear. For SCup, I got to do that, and my score reflected it :]

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 6 2009, 01:53 AM
Post #11

Typo Grasshopper

Group: Purple Hazes
Member No.: 87

How much time did you get?

--------------------
QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jul 12 2009, 03:54 PM) *
If Pearland wins, then yay. If Dobie wins, then yay. If Cinco Ranch wins, however, I will pull my hair out and jump into a vat of tar :P

It is every decathlete's job to take this as a guarantee.

+Quote Post
smarterthanuthin...
post May 6 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 115

I participated in SC last year. At first no one in my acadec class showed any interest in it. But in the end we gave in to my coach's incessant pleads to join. And let me just say, it was an awesome experience. It was really quite challenging to study a whole new set of curriculum after just having finished my acadec season. Even though my team didn't win we had to much fun and learned many great things. So for anyone out there who is debating whether or not to so SC, I say do it. And give it all youve got. Because trust me, the feeling that comes with watching other people walk away with a medal that "should have been yours" still sucks as much as it does in acadec.

--------------------
im kind of a big deal.

"Tu ne quaesieris, scire nefas, quem mihi, quem tibi
finem di dederint, Leuconoe, nec Babylonios
temptaris numeros. ut melius, quicquid erit, pati,
seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
Tyrrhenum: sapias, uina liques, et spatio breui
spem longam reseces. dum loquimur, fugerit inuida
aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

+Quote Post
monica
post May 6 2009, 03:33 AM
Post #13

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (rickshawman @ May 5 2009, 08:50 PM) *

I think my favorite part of the competition was writing the essay, actually. Having the option to integrate the documents/evidence is something I really enjoy doing in writing (who doesn't like factual evidence to back up their own thoughts?), and the TIME given was absolutely amazing, I could go through and make sure everything was written precisely the way I wanted it. I know I'm a pretty good writer, but with USAD essays, they just don't .. give enough time for me to make sure everything is perfectly clear. For SCup, I got to do that, and my score reflected it :]

You wrote a phenomenal essay, and you absolutely deserved your score.

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 5 2009, 08:35 PM) *
SC really does have better materials, if only there was an easier way to compete.

Any ideas? What do you think is your biggest barrier to entry? We'd love to make the competition more available to people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Captaink
post May 6 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #14

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (monica @ May 5 2009, 10:34 PM) *

Any ideas? What do you think is your biggest barrier to entry? We'd love to make the competition more available to people.

From my outsider point of view, Money is probably a common one. Most schools compete in acadec because it costs little or nothing to go to the entry-level competitions (maybe the cost of a bus and 1 night hotel at most), and a school usually only fields one team. With SC, any team that's not within a few hours of the site has to pony up plane fare for three (or four for the coach/sponsor). Multiply that times two or three teams and you've got a sizeable outlay just to go to the first competition. Qualify for international, and that's even more money...

I think it would work if you could get more regional competitions (say NY/DC area, Omaha/midwest, Texas/south , Arizona/West) with say, 6 teams from each going to the US finals, then the top 8 at finals go to World finals.

--------------------
If you get off of school grounds, kiss your ass goodbye as you’re now faced with angry centaurs, hungry spiders, and every variety of evil, man slaughtering mythical beast you can think of. Including trees. There’s a freaking tree that can kill people.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatrioitic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Editorial in the Kansas City Star May 7, 1918

+Quote Post
TheWerg
post May 6 2009, 05:17 AM
Post #15

Major Major Major Major

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (debator @ May 5 2009, 10:15 PM) *
the best part of the SCup is clearly the debate and everybody knows it.

I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure this is true, on the basis that it's a debate.

--------------------
"Slowly, I began to see--as if a veil had lifted--the tortured shadow of Cain everywhere, within me and without, his many cultural reincarnations parading through my mind like frames projected on a cyclorama. He was the first city-builder. Perhaps the father of science and philosophy. His war was with God, the Father who spurned him. Of the two--him and Abel--only Cain possessed subjectivity. A complex inner life. It was said that Western man himself was Cain, cursed with the burden of restlessness and the endless quest for selfhood."

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 6 2009, 06:12 AM
Post #16

Captain Hypertension

QUOTE (monica @ May 5 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Having a competition in Omaha would help wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
monica
post May 6 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #17

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (Captaink @ May 5 2009, 10:46 PM) *
QUOTE (monica @ May 5 2009, 10:34 PM) *

From my outsider point of view, Money is probably a common one. Most schools compete in acadec because it costs little or nothing to go to the entry-level competitions (maybe the cost of a bus and 1 night hotel at most), and a school usually only fields one team. With SC, any team that's not within a few hours of the site has to pony up plane fare for three (or four for the coach/sponsor). Multiply that times two or three teams and you've got a sizeable outlay just to go to the first competition. Qualify for international, and that's even more money...

I think it would work if you could get more regional competitions (say NY/DC area, Omaha/midwest, Texas/south , Arizona/West) with say, 6 teams from each going to the US finals, then the top 8 at finals go to World finals.

The travel issue is hard. One massive difference between WSC and USAD is that our curriculum is free. USAD materials are very, very pricey, and most people buy several sets. Each student pays a nominal fee of about $50 to compete, which helps us cover incidentals such as food and printing. It costs more to move a single decathlon team of 9 plus coaches/chaperones if you look at the number of people alone. I think we are working on making more regional competitions available to large countries such as the US so that teams don't have to travel quite as far. While travel is expensive, I don't think money bars students from competing beyond that, especially because we can waive the registration fee when that would prevent a student or team from competing. Also, there is no need to qualify in order to compete at the world finals or any of our competitions this year. Some teams are going straight to the world finals instead of competing on a national level because they could afford only one trip not two. (Sorry, gotta defend my cause.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post May 6 2009, 05:31 PM
Post #18

Captain Hypertension

QUOTE (Jonesy @ May 6 2009, 01:12 AM) *
QUOTE (monica @ May 5 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Having a competition in Omaha would help wink.gif

I stick by my suggestion. Also, I don't think anyone would complain too hard if you charged a small fee for the curriculum per team. Hell just $10 or something would add up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Captaink
post May 6 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #19

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (monica @ May 6 2009, 09:12 AM) *
The travel issue is hard. One massive difference between WSC and USAD is that our curriculum is free. USAD materials are very, very pricey, and most people buy several sets. Each student pays a nominal fee of about $50 to compete, which helps us cover incidentals such as food and printing. It costs more to move a single decathlon team of 9 plus coaches/chaperones if you look at the number of people alone. I think we are working on making more regional competitions available to large countries such as the US so that teams don't have to travel quite as far. While travel is expensive, I don't think money bars students from competing beyond that, especially because we can waive the registration fee when that would prevent a student or team from competing. Also, there is no need to qualify in order to compete at the world finals or any of our competitions this year. Some teams are going straight to the world finals instead of competing on a national level because they could afford only one trip not two. (Sorry, gotta defend my cause.)

I understand where you are coming from, it's just that USAD already has a hierarchy set up in most states where a team might have to travel 4 hours at most to compete in rounds one through three, which makes it a bit more appealing to school districts. That's not to say SC can become that way, it's ust that USAD is more entrenched in most places. Of course, if you want to throw a regional in north texas, I'd be glad to offer my services to help make it happen. smile.gif

--------------------
If you get off of school grounds, kiss your ass goodbye as you’re now faced with angry centaurs, hungry spiders, and every variety of evil, man slaughtering mythical beast you can think of. Including trees. There’s a freaking tree that can kill people.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatrioitic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
- Theodore Roosevelt
Editorial in the Kansas City Star May 7, 1918

+Quote Post
monica
post May 6 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #20

RIP Mountain Dew

Once we've got the schools to warrant it, I'm fairly certain we'll do our best to provide many more regional meets! We'd love to get more schools in Texas involved. Maybe you guys who already know about the program can bring it up to your friends? Word of mouth is a great resource.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 09:44 PM