Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World Scholar's Cup competition
CincoRanchStuden...
post Mar 1 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 514

Can someone please explain to me how a typical Scholar's Cup competition works? Because my teammates and I haven't done it before, and are relatively confused as to how the tests and debate run. Any information in regards to how much time is spend on each event would be extremely helpful as well. Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gibisee
post Mar 3 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Purple Hazes
Member No.: 513

Looks like we're on our own here.

--------------------
The crazy Irishman trapped in the Bastille who thinks he's Joan of Arc, St. Louis, God, President Nixon, Daffy Duck, Megatron, Pikachu, Beowulf, Edgar Allan Poe, Pacman, the Dalai Lama, 50-cent, James Cameron, Emily Dickinson, Dick Cheney, the green Power Ranger, Luke Skywalker, Gandalf the White, Gandalf the Grey, Dumbledore, Bill Gates, Stephen Colbert, George Clooney, Bob Marley, Sonic the Hedgehog, Eminem, Sherlock Holmes, Hamlet, Demidec Dan, Kim-Jong Il, Leonardo da Vinci, Lady Gaga, Steve Irwin, Alec Baldwin, Rafael Nadal, Ronaldinho, Bear Grylls, Sarah Palin, Brigham Young, Porfirio Diaz, Xavier Cugat, Hector Berlioz, Tina Fey, Teddy Roosevelt, Shaun White, the Hamburglar, Spiderman, the Prince of Persia, Avatar the Last Airbender, Master Chief and Chuck Norris is not far from the truth.

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Mar 3 2010, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

I haven't competed in this before, but I'll grab someone who has and bully them into explaining for you.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
CincoRanchStuden...
post Mar 4 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Mar 3 2010, 04:01 PM) *
I haven't competed in this before, but I'll grab someone who has and bully them into explaining for you.

Ah, why thank you my kind sir. That would be extremey helpful. Neither I nor my teammates have any idea how a typical competition runs, so any information would be invaluable. As of now, we can only assume/hope that WSC is run exactly like AD.

+Quote Post
alpaca
post Mar 4 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (CincoRanchStudent @ Mar 4 2010, 10:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Jonesy @ Mar 3 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Ah, why thank you my kind sir. That would be extremey helpful. Neither I nor my teammates have any idea how a typical competition runs, so any information would be invaluable. As of now, we can only assume/hope that WSC is run exactly like AD.

Hello!

Let me brew up some answers for you. In the meantime, here are some alumni of the program who have volunteered to answer questions from new participants:

Grace Yang, from China
Jacqueline Khor, from Singapore
Anirudh Sivaram, from Dubai
Ryan Nabil, from Bangladesh
Bunnie Hadsall, from the United States
Ketevan Tsereteli, from former Soviet Georgia

Looking forward to seeing Cinco Ranch involved again!

Daniel

+Quote Post
alpaca
post Mar 4 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (CincoRanchStudent @ Mar 1 2010, 03:48 PM) *
Can someone please explain to me how a typical Scholar's Cup competition works? Because my teammates and I haven't done it before, and are relatively confused as to how the tests and debate run. Any information in regards to how much time is spend on each event would be extremely helpful as well. Thanks!

Here is a fairly typical schedule from a two-day regional round: Scholar's Cup China Schedule

There are four events.

The Writing event runs one hour and is individual. It is open book.

The Debate event matches your team against two or three other teams over the course of an afternoon. Each debate runs one hour. Motions span the curriculum. Debate, like Writing, is open book.

The Scholar's Challenge is a multiple choice exam that covers all six subjects. Its length is 150 to 200 questions (depending on the round). Individual medals are given for performance on the different subjects. It is closed book. It lasts 1.5-2 hours depending on its length.

The Scholar's Bowl is a team event in which questions from throughout the curriuclum are presented on stage. You work together with your teammates to answer them, then submit your answers using a special clicker. It lasts about 2.5 hours.

These four are the main tournament events. They count toward your team and individual scores.

Other events, such as the Debate Showcase and Scholar's Scavenge, are meant more for community-building. You can watch a bit of last year's Debate Showcase here. In it, the top 12 debaters from 12 different countries (or schools) are assembled into new teams that debate in front of the community, with audience participation.

Hope this helps! Don't hesitate to write if you have further questions.

Daniel

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Mar 4 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #7

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

Well damn, I was going to make RM do it, but I suppose you can just get the answer from the man himself...

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Mar 4 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #8

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Alpaca's the man that invented it. His word is law.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
CincoRanchStuden...
post Mar 5 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #9

Thank you very much.

+Quote Post
JSK
post Mar 5 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Group: Mod Squad
Member No.: 75

Sounds like so much fun! To bad that like many college students I neither have the money to travel to competitions nor the time to take preparation for competitions as seriously as I would like.

--------------------
"I realized I had won. I had won all the prizes Academic Decathlon truly offers. The scholarships and promises of travel are only enticements to trick short-sighted children into partaking of an experience far more beautiful, far more awesome, far more sublime than they could comprehend in their limited experience. The competition is not about a few people winning this scholarship or that medal. The competition is about everyone, yes, everyone, gaining a desire to learn for the rest of their lives. It is about enriching our lives with deep and profound experiences. It is about following the path less taken, and realizing it has made all the difference in our lives." ~ zzzptm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2017 - 09:43 PM