Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Singapore!
rickshawman
post May 30 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #1

A Decathlete No More :\

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 56

Is anyone here going to be at Singapore next, next week for the World Scholars Cup International competition? Kevin, Ian (Research Monkey duh haha) and I will be there horribly representing the United States - we're rooting for Cinco Ranch's team to do well xD

If so, we're going to be going to Kuala Lumpur sometime after the competition for a day trip, and we'll be roaming around Singapore for a few days before the competition. Anyone is welcome to join us (: because we're there for the experience, and its fun doing stuff with new people and such.

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monica
post May 30 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #2

RIP Mountain Dew

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 70

I will be there!

Check Tiger Air for ridiculously cheap flights to KL. Budget air is definitely the way to travel in Asia. For example, Tiger Air is doing an internet deal right now where the flight is free-- you only pay about $15USD per ticket in taxes. They have a lot of flights like that out of Singapore right now.

Ross and I will be backpacking and traveling throughout the region for two weeks following the competition. Depending on how much time you have before the competition, think about doing more than just a trip to KL since travel is so reasonably priced!

--------------------
Proposed curriculum theme for Scholar's Cup 2010: Goats on Boats

+Quote Post
monica
post May 31 2009, 01:24 AM
Post #3

RIP Mountain Dew

wat

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post May 31 2009, 02:38 AM
Post #4

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

QUOTE (monica @ May 30 2009, 03:13 PM) *
I will be there!

Check Tiger Air for ridiculously cheap flights to KL. Budget air is definitely the way to travel in Asia. For example, Tiger Air is doing an internet deal right now where the flight is free-- you only pay about $15USD per ticket in taxes. They have a lot of flights like that out of Singapore right now.

Ross and I will be backpacking and traveling throughout the region for two weeks following the competition. Depending on how much time you have before the competition, think about doing more than just a trip to KL since travel is so reasonably priced!

We're looking at taking a night train so that we can get some sleep for a couple nights without needing to check into any hotels in KL. Sleep on the way in, work through KL from 6 AM to midnight or so, and then hop on the train back to Singapore.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
monica
post May 31 2009, 03:49 AM
Post #5

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ May 30 2009, 09:38 PM) *
QUOTE (monica @ May 30 2009, 03:13 PM) *
I will be there!

We're looking at taking a night train so that we can get some sleep for a couple nights without needing to check into any hotels in KL. Sleep on the way in, work through KL from 6 AM to midnight or so, and then hop on the train back to Singapore.

You would probably spend just as much money doing that as if you found a hostel and took a budget air flight. You'd probably get more out of the trip. A few years ago Ross and I took the ferry from Busan, South Korea to Hakata, Japan thinking it was a great way to save on housing costs. I got sick, neither of us slept or ate well, and it made the time we spent in Hakata kind of miserable. Maybe you can look at your options this week and decide which makes more sense; you may be very pleasantly surprised to see the numbers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post May 31 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #6

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (monica @ May 30 2009, 08:49 PM) *
You would probably spend just as much money doing that as if you found a hostel and took a budget air flight. You'd probably get more out of the trip. A few years ago Ross and I took the ferry from Busan, South Korea to Hakata, Japan thinking it was a great way to save on housing costs. I got sick, neither of us slept or ate well, and it made the time we spent in Hakata kind of miserable. Maybe you can look at your options this week and decide which makes more sense; you may be very pleasantly surprised to see the numbers.

It would probably be easy to do to take a flight, but the timing and logistics for taking a train seems to fit much better. We can get off the train right in the center of downtown to get where we want to outside of town (the Batu Caves is our big morning activity planned) and then we can head back to the KL Station near the Petronas Towers and the KLCC Aquarium (we're from a desert, so that's a crazy exciting concept for us) and catch it again right in the center of town. The night ride is about 7-8 hours (perfect to sleep on) so the KL trip can be put all in one day/two nights, which is important because we don't have too much time. My dad has been to KL a half dozen times or more on business, so he has a pretty good idea of what there is to see, and how best to see it, so we've planned out a day that should give us enough time. For 76 SGD per person, we can get from Singapore to KL and back in beds on the train, which look about as good as any hostel.

It would probably make sense to fly if we were hoping to stay longer, but the train works extremely conveniently for our time constraints, as we've got two days prior to competition, and 3-4 days following.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: May 31 2009, 08:25 AM

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Jun 1 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 123

Major envy going on here. I shoulda gone.

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 1 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #8

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

Turns out I probably won't be able to go sad.gif

Which is a double whammy, because now I have to go to jury duty. And our county seat is about 45 minutes away.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
monica
post Jun 6 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #9

RIP Mountain Dew

QUOTE (Abuelo @ Jun 1 2009, 09:33 AM) *
Major envy going on here. I shoulda gone.

cool.gif

The sunglasses definitely convey the envy. You really shoulda!

--------------------

+Quote Post
monica
post Jun 7 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #10

RIP Mountain Dew

Preparation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd^2
post Jun 7 2009, 02:08 AM
Post #11

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 161

so, what's the final plan? or has that been established yet?
also, any clue as to about how many ppl will be going?

+Quote Post
monica
post Jun 7 2009, 02:15 AM
Post #12

RIP Mountain Dew

Mountain Pointe kids are going, you and Bunnie are going, and I land about 40 minutes after you all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd^2
post Jun 7 2009, 03:47 AM
Post #13

more questions: specifics about transportation? and how much money should I expect to spend for/on this trip?

+Quote Post
monica
post Jun 7 2009, 03:52 AM
Post #14

RIP Mountain Dew

Cab from airport to hotel. Should be about a 15 minute trip. I'd have close to $250 available for food, fun, and miscellaneous stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd^2
post Jun 7 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #15

I was referring to the KL trip..I heard someone talk about a train ride?

+Quote Post
Todd^2
post Jun 7 2009, 04:14 AM
Post #16

http://www.travelwithyourkids.com/destinat...lumpur-by-train

you may want to look at that....

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #17

touha po ztracené

The full trip is about 40 SGD as I recall.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd^2
post Jun 8 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #18

so, leave Singapore Tuesday and get back Thursday? or when specifically are we planning on leaving/coming back?

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 8 2009, 02:27 AM
Post #19

touha po ztracené

I believe we leave Monday night, and return Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rickshawman
post Jun 10 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #20

A Decathlete No More :\

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 56

We made it.

Sitting in the hotel right now, although Kevin and Ian are sleeping. They slept 6ish hours on the plane trips, compared to my 13ish. (:

--------------------
Mountain Pointe Decathlon 2005 - 2009
Arizona Overall High Scorer 2009

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 06:36 AM