IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does anything else matter, Except for score.
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Typo Grasshopper

Group: Purple Hazes
Member No.: 87

So today next year's coach (an English I teacher with a grudge agaisnt me since freshman year) told me that she would prefer it if I wasn't on the team next year. Among other reasons she mentioned my negativity about the team's overall performance. This made me wonder, should a decathlete's attitude, among other things, help determine whether or not they are on the team, or is it just up to who scores the highest?

--------------------
QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jul 12 2009, 03:54 PM) *
If Pearland wins, then yay. If Dobie wins, then yay. If Cinco Ranch wins, however, I will pull my hair out and jump into a vat of tar :P

It is every decathlete's job to take this as a guarantee.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the godfather
post May 13 2009, 01:47 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 103

u should just tell her forget her b/c i'm the veteran here and already have competed and technically u are the rookie

--------------------
"If you were to die tomorrow would you be happy with your life? Do you have any regrets? It's easy enough to press backspace and change an answer, but you can't exactly erase a moment in your life and try again. Live each day like you may never see the sunrise again, love like you might never hug or hold someones hand again, don't wait to tell someone how you feel in case you never have that chance, because they might just feel the same way, and wouldn't it be worth taking that chance if it might be your last? Take advantage of every breath and every minute of your life without any regrets, embrace even the pain and the heartbreak, and most importantly the laughter and the smiles you share with those you love."

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #3

Typo Grasshopper

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 12 2009, 06:47 PM) *
u should just tell her forget her b/c i'm the veteran here and already have competed and technically u are the rookie

I am sure that will go over splendidly!

--------------------
If Pearland wins, then yay. If Dobie wins, then yay. If Cinco Ranch wins, however, I will pull my hair out and jump into a vat of tar :P

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 13 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

Absolutely, attitude should matter. A Decathlete who can't get along with the rest of the team could cause other people's scores to decrease, make competition a less enjoyable experience for everybody, and ultimately cause serious damage to the school's Decathlon program. Unfortunately, my team never had the luxury of picking people based on attitude; we were usually just scrambling to get enough decent scorers to make a full team. But if your school has a larger pool to draw from, it should definitely be taken into consideration.

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Typo Grasshopper

How would someone's attitude decrease other people's scores?

--------------------

+Quote Post
the godfather
post May 13 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

But yeah i agree with will u want people with positive attitude. Let's just put it this way despite how well Terrell Owens perform do u really want him on ur team? If ur answer is yes then just pick whoever, if no then find the type of people who are willing to work with others cooperatively

--------------------
"If you were to die tomorrow would you be happy with your life? Do you have any regrets? It's easy enough to press backspace and change an answer, but you can't exactly erase a moment in your life and try again. Live each day like you may never see the sunrise again, love like you might never hug or hold someones hand again, don't wait to tell someone how you feel in case you never have that chance, because they might just feel the same way, and wouldn't it be worth taking that chance if it might be your last? Take advantage of every breath and every minute of your life without any regrets, embrace even the pain and the heartbreak, and most importantly the laughter and the smiles you share with those you love."

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 13 2009, 01:56 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 12 2009, 05:51 PM) *

Good teams require huge amounts of teamwork to get high scores. Studying and practicing together as a team is the best way to improve everyone's score. A person who detracts from the team dynamic jeopardizes the team's ability to do so.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
Post #8

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

As it stands now, we've cut contact with a team member this year for his attitude and said that unless he makes a radical change of course sometime very soon, we don't want him with us next year, and we won't get him guides.

It absolutely does matter. Team sports are serious business.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Ambivalent Mike
Post #9

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 119

Acadec sure isn't an individual sport. Scores might not be decreased because the team doesn't care for each other, but scores won't get that boost that come from working together as a team. Acadec really creates a kinda friendship between team members. I made real good friends with people I never really paid much attention to. It really helps to have that motivation that comes from a mutual effort to win as a team as opposed to a medal Free For All.

+Quote Post
TheAwesomeKid
Post #10

Sultan of Bahrain

Member No.: 95

I guess even though I'm all for the individual and the recognition of the individual, you have to admit that personal attitude affects team performance. If you, Gabriel are the veteran, all the other kids look up to you. They listen to everything you say. Because of that, you have to always watch your attitude.

I know because that's the position I was in this year. Out of the two veterans, I am the more vocal and passionate about team performance. Hard to believe, I know. But I had to catch myself from telling the team we were going to lose because of our varsities all the time. Think about it this way. If you walk into afterschool practice ranting about how varsities suck and they're going to cost you the championship, how will that make them feel? If you - the veteran - think there's no shot, how will the rookie view the team's chances. And if someone feels the team is destined to fail from day one, why then, they won't work as hard, will they. It will decrease from a big activity to a mere collegeapplicationextracurricularboxtofillout.

I gues that's why your attitude matters.

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 01:59 AM
Post #11

Typo Grasshopper

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 12 2009, 06:56 PM) *

Good teams require huge amounts of teamwork to get high scores. Studying and practicing together as a team is the best way to improve everyone's score. A person who detracts from the team dynamic jeopardizes the team's ability to do so.

Yet, if I had been kicked off, our collective team score would've dropped 1,300 points, not to mention we only studied together during state.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post May 13 2009, 02:00 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 12 2009, 05:59 PM) *

Yet, if I had been kicked off, our collective team score would've dropped 1,300 points, not to mention we only studied together during state.

I don't know you, so I'm not making any judgment about whether your coach is right. Also, if your team only studies together during state, that is probably the first problem you need to fix.

+Quote Post
TheAwesomeKid
post May 13 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #13

Sultan of Bahrain

Member No.: 95

Congrats, you're a star team member. Read my above post, then respond to that. But I will say this. Will probably gained his team 1500-2000 points. I gained my team 1700. That doesn't mean attitudes don't matter. I'd like to think that my real contribution to the team was more than 1700 points because I also inspired people to work harder for the good of the team by always keeping a positive attitude. Negativity already comes from the coach. It doesn't need to come from the kids, too.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 13 2009, 02:06 AM
Post #14

Don't compare my beat with his...

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 13 2009, 02:59 AM) *

Missing the point here.

Look, you can't just look at somebody's score in November and be like "yo, you're better than this guy because your score halfway into competition season is better than this person's". You definitely need to look at team dynamics and stop being so objective. If I'm studying really hard, doing okay anyways, and then someone is like "man dude, you suck, we're screwed because of you", it's not going to lead to a boost in studying or love for the program, which leads to a positive feedback loop (SQ '07, ANYBODY?!) and it will just continue to get worse...and worse...and worse. And pretty soon, you being an a-hole has cost your team. So, yea, being a positive person, keeping your head, and being social and bonding directly correlate to score.

Per example, adding onto what Awesum Kid just said: we had four amazing honors my year, but we cut the third place guy in favor of the fourth place girl because the third place guy was in it for himself. That decision by our coaches probably gained us a good 4-500 points, because our third honors studied well with our second scholastic, and thus made her more motivated to work. Also, Sophy Lee alone as a good, positive team captain probably gave us a decent 8-9,000 points. So yea, if your the best person on your team, you can't just assume that everyone else should be scoring what you are. Encourage them, don't berate.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
the godfather
post May 13 2009, 02:07 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TheAwesomeKid @ May 12 2009, 08:56 PM) *
I guess even though I'm all for the individual and the recognition of the individual, you have to admit that personal attitude affects team performance. If you, Gabriel are the veteran, all the other kids look up to you. They listen to everything you say. Because of that, you have to always watch your attitude.

I know because that's the position I was in this year. Out of the two veterans, I am the more vocal and passionate about team performance. Hard to believe, I know. But I had to catch myself from telling the team we were going to lose because of our varsities all the time. Think about it this way. If you walk into afterschool practice ranting about how varsities suck and they're going to cost you the championship, how will that make them feel? If you - the veteran - think there's no shot, how will the rookie view the team's chances. And if someone feels the team is destined to fail from day one, why then, they won't work as hard, will they. It will decrease from a big activity to a mere collegeapplicationextracurricularboxtofillout.

most definately if you are a leader its ur job to encourage the other members. It's easy to rant about varsities but that doesn't help anything except lower morale and definately lead them not to study. Besides the experience of studying together and improving as a team outweighs anything one might individually do. And lastly remember u advance as a TEAM not as an individual, so a person with a bad attitude will help their team

This post has been edited by the godfather: May 13 2009, 02:11 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #16

Typo Grasshopper

QUOTE (the godfather @ May 12 2009, 08:07 PM) *
QUOTE (TheAwesomeKid @ May 12 2009, 08:56 PM) *

most definately if you are a leader its ur job to encourage the other members. It's easy to rant about varsities but that doesn't help anything except lower morale and definately lead them not to study. Besides the experience of studying together and improving as a team outweighs anything one might individually do. And lastly remember u advance as a TEAM not as an individual, so a person with a better attitude will hurt their team

HuH?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JBroms
post May 13 2009, 02:09 AM
Post #17

Connoisseur of Cheese

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 13

Our team got along fairly well, one member could be considered moody and another a troublemaker, but in the end we all were the ones who made our team of 9 out of 40+ possible. Sure, things other than score matter (like if your choices are going to arrange things like parties and fight clubs), but if your contribution to the team score should be the #1 deciding factor, in my opinion.

--------------------
QUOTE (Widget! @ Mar 21 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Good varsities simply are; I'm honestly not sure there's any sort of rubric or trend.

QUOTE (dizzyizzy @ May 19 2012, 11:19 PM) *
"Soda" is the "Acadeca" of slang terms for carbonated beverages.

McDowell RECORD Varsity
I was the third-highest varsity in pa history for all of a month and a half.
....and now I'm just a washed up old gamer.
twitch.tv steam: http://twitch.tv/jbroms
(Self-Proclaimed) Patron Saint of the Varsities

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 13 2009, 02:10 AM
Post #18

Wow dude, stop focusing on little things in this topic, otherwise you're not going to get anything, and will get kicked off your team.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post May 13 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (JBroms @ May 13 2009, 03:09 AM) *
Our team got along fairly well, one member could be considered moody and another a troublemaker, but in the end we all were the ones who made our team of 9 out of 40+ possible. Sure, things other than score matter (like if your choices are going to arrange things like parties and fight clubs), but if your contribution to the team score should be the #1 deciding factor, in my opinion.

Score is #1, but if you're going to decrease scores around you by being an ass, then it kinda counterbalances itself.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
gabrielcunha.7
post May 13 2009, 02:11 AM
Post #20

Typo Grasshopper

May I also add, I did not insult any of my teammates, rather, the coach doesn't seem to like me for stuff that I did 2 years ago, as well as my disappointment with the team's performance during this past meet.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2018 - 09:09 PM