Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Occupy Wall Street? Good or Bad?
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Oct 26 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #41

Guests

I don't think it will turn violent either, but my perception may be biased because what I mostly see are Occupy Dartmouth protesters, who are demographically very different from Occupy protesters in major cities.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 26 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (Tad Walters @ Oct 26 2011, 12:59 PM) *
At what point(If there is one) will the Occupy movement turn violent and become similar to mass riots in other countries?

Mass riots in other countries are demanding human rights, civil liberties, and regime change, not a more equitable distribution of resources or a more fair economic playing field. OWS is fundamentally different from the kinds of things that turn violent.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Oct 26 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #43

Guests

What about Greece? Got a bit violent over there.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Oct 27 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #44

Guests

They're upset because of unique circumstances, so I didn't include them in that statement.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Oct 27 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #45

Guests

Just sayin' the obvious: ain't no OWS on the east coast that's gonna make it thru the winter.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crow_*
post Oct 27 2011, 02:56 AM
Post #46

Guests

Right, I'd be mighty surprised if we see anything like the riot in Rome without a serious provocation.

+Quote Post
post Oct 27 2011, 03:05 AM
Post #47

Guests

Oakland may have just seen a bit of that.

Lol Oakland.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 27 2011, 05:07 AM
Post #48

Guests

I think if smurf like what went down at Occupy Oakland becomes the norm, then violent protesting may be the next step. If the people who demand change are aware that they'll be met with the truncheon and not discourse, then it's really not a stretch for them to get violent.

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Oct 27 2011, 05:39 AM
Post #49

Guests

Is this what we're talking about? Scott Olsen injuries prompt review

A Google search for "scott olsen occupy oakland" gives several UK sources, an ABC news blog, the Huffington Post, and a San Francisco news affiliate on the front page. dry.gif

+Quote Post
post Oct 27 2011, 06:50 AM
Post #50

Guests

Yeah, just that whole incident with the tear gas and the flashbangs. I saw the news helicopter footage where you see tear gas canisters and numerous flashbangs thrown into a large crowd, then a group of people all crowding up around something near the police barrier, then another flashbang is thrown right next to the group and they disperse. I didn't realize they were crowding around an injured person. That's smurfed up.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 27 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #51

Guests

WHAT THE smurfING smurf

+Quote Post
post Oct 27 2011, 08:42 AM
Post #52

Guests

Yeah, that's what we were talking about. The guy laying on the ground is a veteran of the war in Iraq.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Oct 27 2011, 08:44 AM
Post #53

Guests

I was under the impression that this was a different incident.

+Quote Post
post Oct 27 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #54

Guests

Nope. And for those who are missing out on the facebook conversation, here's an ariel view of the same incident. Starting at 0:53 you can see the group of people in the bottom left corner of the screen rush back to crowd around the injured man, then promptly get flashbanged. The injured guy is the white blob (his shirt, I assume) laying down on the crosswalk line. If you go back to about 0:43 and watch until about 0:45, you can see him moving towards the top of the screen, then a series of explosions go off near him and he goes down. There is video evidence of this guy getting hit in the head and going down, multiple camera angles all confirming the same incident.

EDIT: Went back and looked at Widget's video, 0:43 in my video corresponds to about 0:23 in his video.

EDIT2: Just watch this.

This post has been edited by tryingtothinkagain: Oct 27 2011, 09:08 AM

+Quote Post
post Oct 27 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #55

Guests

There's also this:
http://www.occupyr.com/General/thread.php?id=333

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Oct 27 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #56

Guests

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/...d-protests-live - someone from the Guardian did an account of the stuff that went down in Oakland. Assuming it's all accurate, I expect full-blown news coverage tomorrow (later today) by American news networks--the same networks that didn't even cover the earthquake in Turkey fully... dry.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Oct 27 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #57

Guests

+Quote Post
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Oct 30 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #58

Guests

So was s/he implying that the protester in question didn't have a job? Isn't that the exact opposite of what was stated? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_BigTS_*
post Nov 11 2011, 12:41 AM
Post #59

Guests

Hey folks!

Tom from Occupy Erie, here! Not too happy that we decided to do an #Occupy here in our tiny little corner of Pennsylvania, but a few dudes got it started and they've been camping in the gazebo of the park we have in downtown Erie. We've had demonstrations at UPMC, at representative Kelly's office, personally confronted our state senator Jane Earl while she was out for a beer (she was on television the night before saying that OWS "promotes incivility in politics), and last week marched in solidarity with Scott Olson and Post Office workers. That was what I have liked about Occupy so far: none of this stuff we did locally never got any press coverage, but when it started everything we did was on the evening news.

I do not like, however, the idea of making a homestead out of a park, especially in a city like mine where most residents aren't college students surviving off of a trust fund that their parents set up for them (*cough*New York*cough*) who have to leave for work or for familial obligations. I also don't like it because you are not immediately confronting anything when you sit in a park. Those are my criticisms, I could be wrong though.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Nov 11 2011, 02:21 AM
Post #60

Guests

QUOTE (BigTS @ Nov 10 2011, 05:41 PM) *
especially in a city like mine where most residents aren't college students surviving off of a trust fund that their parents set up for them (*cough*New York*cough*)

Have you ever been to New York? Or...ever heard a rap song?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2018 - 05:23 PM