> Division IV at Nationals
Dave C
post Apr 21 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #41

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,901

So now we know what Division IV means:
No team MVP recognition.
No team high score recognition (forget the scholarship...not even a single medal for this, despite the thousands that are given out).
They create a second super quiz round to accommodate these extra teams, but there is no plaque or any recognition for your performance at all.

All for the low, low price of the exact same $600 fee that all the regular teams paid.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any distinction. I know we aren't the state champs, and that's fine. But seriously, these are basic items that you would think are assumed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 23 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #42

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 21 2018, 12:50 PM) *
So now we know what Division IV means:
No team MVP recognition.
No team high score recognition (forget the scholarship...not even a single medal for this, despite the thousands that are given out).
They create a second super quiz round to accommodate these extra teams, but there is no plaque or any recognition for your performance at all.

All for the low, low price of the exact same $600 fee that all the regular teams paid.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be any distinction. I know we aren't the state champs, and that's fine. But seriously, these are basic items that you would think are assumed.

I understand that this setup is definitely not optimal, but also, you can't expect USAD to just be able to whip up 33% more scholarship money (tens of thousands of dollars per division) out of nowhere. I love that they're bringing in new teams, and if that's the sacrifice they have to pull off to make it work, so be it. USAD did make it abundantly clear that there would be no awarded scholarships for Division IV students, and that was the reason several teams (University from CA, South Central Calhoun from IA, Collegiate Academy from PA) rescinded their invitations in favor of competing in Online Nationals. That said, you definitely do have a point that it is unfair you had to pay the same amount as all the other teams -- I hadn't realized that, and that's not great.

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post Apr 23 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #43

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

They also added Div IV and cut out individual representatives without notifying anyone. No one knew there was only 18 invites until far too late.

There is absolutely zero transparency from USAD, and quite frankly it's unbelievable. No one knew what DIV meant. No one knew about the decrease in invites. No one knew that China wasn't eligible last year for team awards. No one knew. Because USAD didn't say anything. For as much money and time we put into this, it sure feels like the people who own this thing don't really much care about anything that happens.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
Dave C
post Apr 24 2018, 01:28 AM
Post #44

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,901

Again, I didn't really care about the scholarships. We all knew that wasn't going to happen, and that was fine. I'm talking about a little more recognition for the kids. I'm talking about giving out 34 more medals...17 for MVP, 17 for high score. Or even just the high score, forget the MVP. And super quiz! Seriously, no mention of the fact that we even did it. Why bother adding the extra round of 39 questions when you aren't going to declare a winner? And I know that I am not the only coach who feels this way.

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post Apr 24 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #45

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

I wonder if hitting their facebook page would be a reasonable thing to do. That's such a huge bummer. One of the best parts about succeeding is getting rewarded for it.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Apr 24 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #46

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Dave C @ Apr 23 2018, 09:28 PM) *
Again, I didn't really care about the scholarships. We all knew that wasn't going to happen, and that was fine. I'm talking about a little more recognition for the kids. I'm talking about giving out 34 more medals...17 for MVP, 17 for high score. Or even just the high score, forget the MVP. And super quiz! Seriously, no mention of the fact that we even did it. Why bother adding the extra round of 39 questions when you aren't going to declare a winner? And I know that I am not the only coach who feels this way.

Ohhh, I totally misinterpreted what you meant by "forget the scholarships" -- my apologies! Yeah, I really don't understand the lack of awarding Super Quiz (especially since this means you won't get any results back, as if there was no point of participating in the first place), nor the lack of MVP/Top Scorer recognition. It seems like they just shied away from giving out anything in Division IV that comes with a scholarship in another division... even though they could obviously just not give the scholarship for those in Division IV. (They were originally not going to award individual overall in DIV either, which would have been ridiculous.) Hopefully we can work to change this for next year.

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ Apr 23 2018, 04:06 PM) *
They also added Div IV and cut out individual representatives without notifying anyone. No one knew there was only 18 invites until far too late.

There is absolutely zero transparency from USAD, and quite frankly it's unbelievable. No one knew what DIV meant. No one knew about the decrease in invites. No one knew that China wasn't eligible last year for team awards. No one knew. Because USAD didn't say anything. For as much money and time we put into this, it sure feels like the people who own this thing don't really much care about anything that happens.

The individual competitors thing was for sure really badly communicated. I had been told originally that there would be no decline in invites, and I was never informed otherwise until it was too late. Communication has been a problem with USAD for a very long time, and although it's wayyyy better than it was just a decade ago, there is still progress to be made.

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post Apr 24 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #47

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 722,330

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ Apr 24 2018, 02:34 PM) *
I wonder if hitting their facebook page would be a reasonable thing to do. That's such a huge bummer. One of the best parts about succeeding is getting rewarded for it.

It's reasonable. All businesses are subject to this...We live in a world where the Internet makes things a lot more transparent, and USAD needs to learn that and adjust a lot of their behaviors.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 30 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #48

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ Apr 23 2018, 03:06 PM) *

This would not fly AT ALL in private industry, I can tell you that right now. People have been fired/transferred for less.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2018 - 10:25 PM