Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decathlete Advice to Coaches
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 15 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (swaswa @ Apr 15 2010, 02:57 AM) *
QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 14 2010, 06:26 AM) *
For honors and scholastics, get the smartest kids in the school. Chemistry can be worked out later, and if it can't, who cares. \

I don't exactly agree with that. We recruited brilliant kids into AcDec who were extremely offensive and large-headed (egotistically). Team chemistry didn't work out at all and the whole year was terrible. The motivation was lacking, especially because people didn't have friends to compete with, people who they would be proud to beat. Even some of the MOST motivated students skipped meetings because the meetings weren't filled with likeable people.

It seems that my school is just the odd one out. The smartest people were big-headed, but so were the people who really weren't that smart at all. I actually got along very well with the smart kids; it were the not-so-smart people that made me want to skip practice. Also, I don't feel proud to beat my friends. I get a lot more out of beating people I don't like. I probably stand alone on this, but I know for a fact that my team last year could have scored several thousand points higher had a few people been replaced with smarter kids.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post Apr 15 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #22

Guests

Your school might just be full of jerks.

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 15 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 15 2010, 01:51 PM) *
Your school might just be full of jerks.

I can't deny the veracity of this statement.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Apr 15 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #24

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 13 2010, 05:42 PM) *
Always be sure to tell your kids how underwhelming their test scores are and crush their egos until they're frothing at the mouth with anger at you to prove you wrong.

Or they drop out and you don't have a team anymore. (Believe me, I wish this worked.)

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 15 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Apr 15 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Always be sure to tell your kids how underwhelming their test scores are and crush their egos until they're frothing at the mouth with anger at you to prove you wrong.

Or they drop out and you don't have a team anymore. (Believe me, I wish this worked.)

This is what happens outside of California.

+Quote Post
post Apr 15 2010, 10:07 PM
Post #26

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 15 2010, 12:27 PM) *
QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Apr 15 2010, 02:09 PM) *

This is what happens outside of California.

Now you're getting it. B)

The quitters were already weeded out during the first round of testing. The ones that remain are the ones insane enough to stick it out.

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Apr 15 2010, 10:08 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_siadmg11_*
post Apr 16 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #27

Guests

One of my friends, a former state champ in Honors, had a great quote about recruiting, "You get A's by showing them medals, B's by giving them food, and C's by telling them Acadec might give them the chance to make up for bad grades and still get a good college."

(We call Honors "A's", Scholastics "B's", and Varsity "C's", typically)

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 16 2010, 02:35 AM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 07:32 PM) *
One of my friends, a former state champ in Honors, had a great quote about recruiting, "You get A's by showing them medals, B's by giving them food, and C's by telling them Acadec might give them the chance to make up for bad grades and still get a good college."

I think you have your scholastics and varsities mixed up. Food is best for varsities.

+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #29

Guests

QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Your friend is a poor recruiter. confused.gif

Varsities are slave labor. Treat them as such.

What's a scholastic? An honors that doesn't get A's in AP classes. Exploit that chip on their shoulder! EXPLOIT IT.

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Apr 16 2010, 03:31 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_gibisee_*
post Apr 16 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #30

Guests

Typically Scholastics are honors that don't get A's out of lazyness. They don't really care about the "chip on their shoulder."
Varsities on the other hand are honors that don't get A's or B's out of sheer indifference.

+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #31

Guests

QUOTE (gibisee @ Apr 15 2010, 09:27 PM) *
Typically Scholastics are honors that don't get A's out of lazyness. They don't really care about the "chip on their shoulder."
Varsities on the other hand are honors that don't get A's or B's out of sheer indifference.

Speaking as a scholastic, all scholastics are bitter balls of hate, one way or another.

Your assessment of varsities is frighteningly optimistic.

+Quote Post
Guest_laureus_*
post Apr 16 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (gibisee @ Apr 15 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Our varsities brought their indifference to decathlon as well.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Apr 16 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #33

Guests

QUOTE (laureus @ Apr 16 2010, 08:38 AM) *
QUOTE (gibisee @ Apr 15 2010, 11:27 PM) *

Our varsities brought their indifference to decathlon as well.

Your varsities suck.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Apr 16 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 16 2010, 03:45 AM) *

Speaking as a scholastic, all scholastics are bitter balls of hate, one way or another.

Yeah gonna side with OCM here although I wasn't a scholastic. This is definitely true.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Apr 16 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #35

Guests

QUOTE (siadmg11 @ Apr 15 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Hahahahahaha. No.

You get Varsities with food. You get great Varsities on sheer luck. There is no way to mold a bad Varsity into a good Varsity. You simply teach the bad Varsities to only care about Super Quiz, and then they get to take your V-3 spot for the Relay.

+Quote Post
post Apr 16 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #36

Guests

You get great varsities by treating them like slave labor.

Which they are.

I swear, I shaped up a varsity into a near 8k scorer through the sheer power of disrespect and damning with faint praise.

"That's a good art score...for a varsity. HAHAHAHAHA"

*Leans back in chair and puts feet on the table with a ocmsmile.jpg face*

+Quote Post
Guest_gibisee_*
post Apr 16 2010, 11:11 PM
Post #37

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 16 2010, 01:45 AM) *

Hate to disagree with you, but I was a scholastic in this millenium and I never considered myself a "bitter ball of hate."

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Apr 16 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #38

Guests

QUOTE (gibisee @ Apr 16 2010, 04:11 PM) *

Hate to disagree with you, but I was a scholastic in this geological epoch and I never considered myself a "bitter ball of hate."

+Quote Post
post Apr 17 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #39

Guests

Hate to disagree with you, but I was a scholastic in this millenium and I never considered myself a "bitter ball of hate."

Grade inflation. You're actually a varsity.

+Quote Post
Guest_gibisee_*
post Apr 17 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #40

Guests

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Apr 16 2010, 05:41 PM) *

Grade inflation. You're actually a varsity.

I imagine that in OCM-land that's considered an insult. It has given me the idea that the only place unaffected by this "grade inflation" is CA, which explains the redonkulous varsities coming out of there. It's a conspiracy I tell you! A CONSPIRACY!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2018 - 03:44 PM