Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Occupy Wall Street? Good or Bad?
Guest_Autumn Comet_*
post Nov 11 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #61

Guests

Occupy Boston over by South Station in Dewey Park has been pretty tame so far. There are tents set up, but most of the people I met only went for a few hours each week because they were college students in the area (and not all college students have parents paying for them, or at least I don't tongue.gif ) or are otherwise employed.

Since they're right outside probably the most popular subway stop and the major one that leads to Logan airport, just by camping they're getting a lot of attention. There was some protesting outside a Bank of America here in Waltham, but I honestly haven't been keeping up all that well.

Apparently a few OWS protesters are marching to DC. Good luck to them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BigTS_*
post Nov 11 2011, 04:07 AM
Post #62

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Nov 10 2011, 09:21 PM) *
QUOTE (BigTS @ Nov 10 2011, 05:41 PM) *
especially in a city like mine where most residents aren't college students surviving off of a trust fund that their parents set up for them (*cough*New York*cough*)

Have you ever been to New York? Or...ever heard a rap song?

Yes, I've been to New York, and all I listen to is rap and r&b. Manhattan is definitely full of those types that I'm talking about. Zuccoti is a few blocks down from a lot of student housing at NYU, for example.

Maybe I am being a bit stereotypical, but Zuccoti is right near NYU student housing (and the campus, sort of), and I feel like it would be hard to keep a disciplined semi-permanent presence in the square without a dedicated group being there everyday. If there wasn't a group of cadres that was there a lot of the time the committees would fall into chaos and the entire horizontalist structure would give in; people assume that just because it's nonhierarchal there won't (and shouldn't) be leaders, but that's entirely false. So of course the most privileged would be the most able to stay.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Nov 14 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #63

Guests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAO2yPdafTI...ayer_detailpage

I found it disturbing that I had difficulties figuring out which country some of the clips came from.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Nov 14 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #64

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Nov 14 2011, 09:54 AM) *
sorry, but there's a difference between pepper spray and mass murder. however sensationalistic the movement gets, no one is the us is seriously having his freedom of expression curtailed.

I sorta feel like using pepper spray on people without violent provocation counts as seriously curtailing their freedom of expression. I haven't followed these disputes real closely though.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Nov 14 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #65

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Nov 14 2011, 12:54 PM) *
sorry, but there's a difference between pepper spray and mass murder. however sensationalistic the movement gets, no one is the us is seriously having his freedom of expression curtailed.

Yeah, and waterboarding doesn't cause serious bodily harm.

Let's not have too much perspective here.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Dec 16 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #66

Guests

An idealistic college senior telling the rest of the world whose jobs have "social value" and whose don't. Never seen that before. Yawn.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Dec 16 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #67

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Dec 16 2011, 02:50 PM) *
An idealistic college senior telling the rest of the world whose jobs have "social value" and whose don't. Never seen that before. Yawn.

You know, I kind of despise this sentiment. "Oh, you're a college senior? Yeah, sorry, you don't actually have any valuable opinions about the merit of various careers." The fact that the author of the piece is a college senior shouldn't detract from the analysis given.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Dec 17 2011, 06:03 AM
Post #68

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ Dec 16 2011, 02:44 PM) *
QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Dec 16 2011, 02:50 PM) *

You know, I kind of despise this sentiment. "Oh, you're a college senior? Yeah, sorry, you don't actually have any valuable opinions about the merit of various careers." The fact that the author of the piece is a college senior shouldn't detract from the analysis given.

No, indeed, that "analysis" detracts from itself extremely well without any help. Since I'm a college senior myself, I was clearly not saying that college seniors' opinions are worthless, but merely pointing out that our demographic is known for filling student newspapers with insufferable holier-than-thou garbage.

I do, however, admire him for having the courage to say what he believes, even though I think his beliefs are crackpot. It's always better to be honest than politically correct.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Dec 17 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #69

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Dec 16 2011, 11:34 AM) *
"This sort of betting is of no social value. Bankers will tell you that it allows for more efficient pricing of assets, but if the last decade taught us anything, it’s that it actually leads to bubbles where assets aren’t priced accurately at all. It’s destructive, greedy behavior....Taking a job at Goldman Sachs is immoral. To take a job in finance is to become complicit in a socially useless enterprise that ruins lives. You should feel bad about yourself if you do it. You will be a worse person if you do it. That sort of message may very well alienate a lot of Harvard students. But we need to hear it."

Plenty of people claim lawyers have no social value. It is not my fault they do not understand anything about markets.

I mean, there is not much more to say here than "cool story, Harvard bro."

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Jan 7 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #70

Guests

Ol' Billy C. on Occupy.

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post Jan 7 2012, 07:08 PM
Post #71

Guests

True. Here's clinton's statement and only clinton's statement. Discuss this, not the author's fanboyism. tongue.gif

“I think what they’re doing is great. Occupy Wall Street has done more in the short time they’ve been out there than I’ve been able to do in more than the last eleven years trying to draw attention to some of the same problems we have to address. There are a lot of young people out there, I see a lot of unemployed students and they are upset, he said. They don’t know where the jobs and opportunities are for them, and they are worried about how they’re going to pay off their student loans without going broke.”

Does occupy need a platform?

“Yes, but it doesn’t have to be a platform; it doesn’t have to be twenty pages. They should start with three or four points to generate a political movement to get heard more clearly.”

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Mar 15 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #72

Guests

I'm not really sure how I feel about that op-ed. I feel like I'd need to be inside to really understand it more.

+Quote Post
Guest_VarsityBoy_*
post Mar 16 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #73

Guests

to me the sudden attack of ethic is kinda weird... I mean, no doubt what he said is true, he just builds up a poor ethical connection to the audience imo.

I just don't think that this is such a surprise it's made up to be.

/cynic.

This post has been edited by VarsityBoy: Mar 16 2012, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 06:00 AM