Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upcoming Houston Round
Rrosas30
post Feb 12 2014, 02:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 610,777

Who's excited for this year's Houston round? Has anyone started their research yet? If so, what have you found to be rather interesting? I've begun looking through the art section and some of the pieces are pretty intriguing.
There's still a lot of work to be done, but I'm looking forward to it. This year's overall topic has a lot of mind blowing sub-sections which are sure to keep us entertained.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Feb 12 2014, 04:01 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 252,079

My school should have teams competing for the first time in WSC and I think my team is excited about the diversity of the categories and materials they need to study. This is pretty new to us so I'm trying to help the teams develop a studying strategy. I'm using the lure of Singapore as a carrot for my students and that's fairly intriguing to them. But I really don't know much about what the actual competition will entail and this will be a learning experience for my students. We did have the chance to meet with Jeremy from Irving Nimitz last week and he indicated the Houston event will be much larger than in past years with possible participation from teams in three states and all across the Lone Star State.

As far as studying, we watched, discussed, and wrote about A Beautiful Mind last week and the students are researching spying this week. We'll probably spend the majority of our time focusing on psychology and economics since they appear to be the broadest categories.

What school are you affiliated with?

This post has been edited by ridgepoinths: Feb 12 2014, 04:04 AM

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Ridge Point High School, Texas
State Qualifiers 2016 (medium school level) and 2017 (large school level)
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Team Champs, 2014, 2015, 2017

+Quote Post
Rrosas30
post Feb 12 2014, 01:06 PM
Post #3

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 610,777

I am with Pasadena Memorial High School
Yeah my team is pretty excited about the Singapore round and we're hoping to qualify this year.
I attended last year with a different team and it was a fun competition, and I'm definitely looking forward to competing again specially with the increased participating this year.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 13 2014, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Alpwaaca

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Feb 11 2014, 11:01 PM) *
We did have the chance to meet with Jeremy from Irving Nimitz last week and he indicated the Houston event will be much larger than in past years with possible participation from teams in three states and all across the Lone Star State.

That sounds really exciting! Did he say which three states?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Feb 14 2014, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 13 2014, 10:52 AM) *
We did have the chance to meet with Jeremy from Irving Nimitz last week and he indicated the Houston event will be much larger than in past years with possible participation from teams in three states and all across the Lone Star State.

three counting Texas. The other two he mentioned were Colorado and Arizona.

--------------------

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 15 2014, 07:37 AM
Post #6

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Feb 13 2014, 08:51 PM) *
QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 13 2014, 10:52 AM) *

three counting Texas. The other two he mentioned were Colorado and Arizona.

Sweet! I already asked this question in another thread, but do you know which team won the Houston round last year - was it Pasadena again?

I'm thinking I want to make more DDSIC pages for WSC competitions. I dream of a Houston round page with past results, photos, and so on.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Feb 15 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #7

Don't compare my beat with his...

Member No.: 14

Pasadena did win.

Dulles may be attending as well.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Feb 15 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #8

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

I'm thinking I may throw together a team after State - DDD suggested that it's a good change of pace that makes Decathletes more motivated to go back to Decathlon, and I know my H2, who's a junior and so much like me it's scary, could use a break. We'd be coming to the Houston round.

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post Feb 15 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 252,908

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 15 2014, 10:51 AM) *
I'm thinking I may throw together a team after State - DDD suggested that it's a good change of pace that makes Decathletes more motivated to go back to Decathlon, and I know my H2, who's a junior and so much like me it's scary, could use a break. We'd be coming to the Houston round.

I think that's a great idea! If you just meet after school for an hour every day with whoever you recruit (WSC is a good way to recruit Decathlon people) and have them read a few pages that you can discuss/test on, you'll probably do very well.

--------------------
Nick Synodis
Mountain View Mesa High School

+Quote Post
JSC
post Feb 16 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Feb 15 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Pasadena did win.

Last year's round actually went to Cinco Ranch, with Wunsche second, South Houston third, Roberto's Pasadena Memorial fourth, and San Antonio Warren fifth.

Quanzel Caston from Wunsche--now at West Point, and an amazing young man--jumped up and won the #2 individual overall in the senior division at the Global Round in Dubai. I don't have the placings in front of me, but I think the Cinco Ranch team--Lindsey Li, Tony Deng, and Gauri Bora--finished around #20 overall at worlds, with the top Wunsche team in the same ballpark. Those teams from Taiwan and Hong Kong and Beijing and Singapore don't mess around.

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 16 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #11

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (JSC @ Feb 16 2014, 02:47 AM) *
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Feb 15 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Pasadena did win.

Last year's round actually went to Cinco Ranch, with Wunsche second, South Houston third, Roberto's Pasadena Memorial fourth, and San Antonio Warren fifth.

Quanzel Caston from Wunsche--now at West Point, and an amazing young man--jumped up and won the #2 individual overall in the senior division at the Global Round in Dubai. I don't have the placings in front of me, but I think the Cinco Ranch team--Lindsey Li, Tony Deng, and Gauri Bora--finished around #20 overall at worlds, with the top Wunsche team in the same ballpark. Those teams from Taiwan and Hong Kong and Beijing and Singapore don't mess around.

Oh my word, that's spectacular! I can't believe I didn't know any of this last year. It's also really cool that two teams, not just one, advanced. I hope that happens again this year. Maybe three teams can make it?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Mar 11 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Chief Duckling

I'm excited and grateful to have the opportunity to volunteer with this year's Houston Round! We're sending out invitations this month, but I also want to encourage all of you here to consider fielding a team (or three). While I unfortunately never had the opportunity to compete in WSC myself, having spoken extensively with its leadership and read about its curriculum and events, I feel confident that World Scholar's Cup is an excellent program and will benefit your students immensely.

I especially ask you to consider helping your feeder middle schools become involved, as WSC participation can bring new leadership and intellectual energy to a school, help students discover new interests and strengths in time to pursue them in high school, and of course prime young students for success in Decathlon. If any of you have any questions about World Scholar's Cup, JSC and I would love to answer them.

Thank you!

--------------------
Marin Young

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Mar 29 2014, 12:52 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I'm looking forward to hearing numbers of teams competing at the meet. My school plans on having four senior teams and one junior team (younger brother of one of our graduating seniors and my two twin 12-year-old sons!), and it sounds like there now could be teams competing from as many as five different states?

This is new to us so I'm still trying to put together as many possible resources as we can to help our teams prepare. Are there any sample tests or quizzes out there that I can utilize?

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Mar 11 2014, 11:39 AM) *
I'm excited and grateful to have the opportunity to volunteer with this year's Houston Round! We're sending out invitations this month, but I also want to encourage all of you here to consider fielding a team (or three). While I unfortunately never had the opportunity to compete in WSC myself, having spoken extensively with its leadership and read about its curriculum and events, I feel confident that World Scholar's Cup is an excellent program and will benefit your students immensely.

I especially ask you to consider helping your feeder middle schools become involved, as WSC participation can bring new leadership and intellectual energy to a school, help students discover new interests and strengths in time to pursue them in high school, and of course prime young students for success in Decathlon. If any of you have any questions about World Scholar's Cup, JSC and I would love to answer them.

Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Mar 30 2014, 04:21 AM
Post #14

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Mar 29 2014, 07:52 AM) *
I'm looking forward to hearing numbers of teams competing at the meet. My school plans on having four senior teams and one junior team (younger brother of one of our graduating seniors and my two twin 12-year-old sons!), and it sounds like there now could be teams competing from as many as five different states?

This is new to us so I'm still trying to put together as many possible resources as we can to help our teams prepare. Are there any sample tests or quizzes out there that I can utilize?

We look forward to having you! I do not know whether WSC has practice materials like Decathlon, but I'll pass along your question and get back to you.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Mar 31 2014, 02:38 AM
Post #15

Chief Duckling

I've been given a Dropbox folder of practice materials. I'm told you already received them from JSC, but anyone else is welcome to PM me an email address to get quizzes.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post May 2 2014, 03:00 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Two weeks from the Houston competition and my teams continue to prepare - anyone else on this thread going to have teams there?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2017 - 09:36 AM