Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Division IV at Nationals
Dave C
post Oct 31 2017, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 233,229

I don't know when this got added, but I saw it on the USAD homepage today. I don't think anyone has mentioned it here yet, but I assume there are some opinions out there.

The USAD Board of Directors has approved the establishment of a Division IV to be added to the USAD face-to-face national competitions. Each State that sends a State championship team to the national USAD face-to-face competition may also send a team that will compete in Division IV. This team will be selected by each state. If the state does not have a state director this team will be selected by USAD staff. The criteria for selection will be that the team participating in Division IV will be from a different division than the state championship team unless there are no divisions in that state. The Division IV teams will only be eligible for individual medals. All teams and individuals will be required to stay at the official hotels at the national USAD competition. Division IV teams will also be validated by the same process used to verify and validate state championship teams. States who wish to send a team to participate in Division IV must notify USAD on or before November 15, 2017.
Notifications received after this date may not be honored.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 1 2017, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

I thought it was randomly chosen as well? As in the state would be randomly chosen? I don't really see the point of this other than "more teams" at nationals which is cool, but they can't even compete for the full championship or team scores? I don't get it. Are the teams from China still participating? I thought the original reason to stop inviting 2nd place teams was so that the schools from China could compete. Also, it says it has to be from a different division- is that based on USAD divisions, or state divisions?

Lots of questions here...

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Alex Ballard
post Nov 1 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 680,812

I also heard about this last week from our County Coordinator, and I was very confused by the potential logistics of this "Division 4". Based on the language used, in California (for example), would a second team go to Nationals that IS NOT from Division 1 (based on the fact it says "from different divisions")? This does not seem exactly like the "wild card" teams USAD had several years ago, so I am interested to hear more about what are the requirements/process for this.

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Nov 1 2017, 04:24 PM
Post #4

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

So this would have allowed Nimitz *and* Friendswood to go to the 2003 Nationals... Large and Medium state winners, for example. This would not allow Granada Hills and ECR to both attend, as they're in the same division.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post Nov 1 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 252,908

It's great that more schools will be going to nationals, but I don't really see what problem this solves.

--------------------
Nick Synodis
Mountain View Mesa High School

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 2 2017, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

Whoo!! I am excited for this! To answer some questions:

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Nov 1 2017, 09:58 AM) *
I thought it was randomly chosen as well? As in the state would be randomly chosen? I don't really see the point of this other than "more teams" at nationals which is cool, but they can't even compete for the full championship or team scores? I don't get it. Are the teams from China still participating? I thought the original reason to stop inviting 2nd place teams was so that the schools from China could compete. Also, it says it has to be from a different division- is that based on USAD divisions, or state divisions?

Lots of questions here...

So, the states are randomly chosen, yes, depending on how much space there will at Nationals. This year, I think it'll be between five and ten states that will be able to send wildcards. They will not be eligible again until all the other eligible states get a turn. I don't get why they're not eligible for team awards, though; they seem to be afraid of having a wildcard team beat the state champion team for some reason. International teams are still participating; this is instead likely to take the place of most of the individual competitors.

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 1 2017, 12:24 PM) *
So this would have allowed Nimitz *and* Friendswood to go to the 2003 Nationals... Large and Medium state winners, for example.

False -- both Friendswood and Nimitz have/had well over 1300 students, the USAD cutoff for Large! (Texas has some big schools, y'all.)

QUOTE (Alex Ballard @ Nov 1 2017, 11:51 AM) *
I also heard about this last week from our County Coordinator, and I was very confused by the potential logistics of this "Division 4". Based on the language used, in California (for example), would a second team go to Nationals that IS NOT from Division 1 (based on the fact it says "from different divisions")? This does not seem exactly like the "wild card" teams USAD had several years ago, so I am interested to hear more about what are the requirements/process for this.

Technically, if a team of under 1300 students makes CA State DI, there could totally be two schools from CA DI to go to Nationals!

I am kinda weirded out by the fact that DIV teams can't get team awards, but I'm really excited for second teams to be able to go to Nationals again!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Nov 4 2017, 07:41 PM
Post #7

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Member No.: 16

"The criteria for selection will be that the team participating in Division IV will be from a different division than the state championship team unless there are no divisions in that state."

This makes it sound like the cutoff is based on the state organization's divisions, not USAD divisions.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 5 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #8

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Nov 4 2017, 03:41 PM) *
"The criteria for selection will be that the team participating in Division IV will be from a different division than the state championship team unless there are no divisions in that state."

This makes it sound like the cutoff is based on the state organization's divisions, not USAD divisions.

It does! That's exactly why I asked about it; they confirmed it's by USAD divisions. Don't know why they decided to word it like that.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
JSC
post Nov 17 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 4 2017, 06:12 PM) *

It does! That's exactly why I asked about it; they confirmed it's by USAD divisions. Don't know why they decided to word it like that.

I'm pretty sure that (a time long ago) in the past the USAD divisions were determined ad hoc, once the state champions advanced. I remember the irony that when a "medium" Texas school advanced, they were placed in the large division at nationals. Or something like that.

In other words, at one time in the past the USAD size divisions were simply slices among the pool of teams that made it.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 17 2017, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (JSC @ Nov 17 2017, 06:47 AM) *

I'm pretty sure that (a time long ago) in the past the USAD divisions were determined ad hoc, once the state champions advanced. I remember the irony that when a "medium" Texas school advanced, they were placed in the large division at nationals. Or something like that.

In other words, at one time in the past the USAD size divisions were simply slices among the pool of teams that made it.

It still works like that actually. So although they start with schools with populations 750-1300 in DII, they'll wiggle it a bit to make them more equal/make sure each division has at least a quarter of the competing schools in them -- not too ad hoc. Texas just has really big schools compared to the rest of the country, so almost all Medium schools in Texas are well beyond 1300, meaning well into the 'Large' division for USAD. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 17 2017, 02:14 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 17 2017, 02:13 PM) *
QUOTE (JSC @ Nov 17 2017, 06:47 AM) *

It still works like that actually. So although they start with schools with populations 750-1300 in DII, they'll wiggle it a bit to make them more equal/make sure each division has at least a quarter of the competing schools in them -- not too ad hoc. Texas just has really big schools compared to the rest of the country, so almost all Medium schools in Texas are well beyond 1300, meaning well into the 'Large' division for USAD. tongue.gif

I think some of the schools in Texas considered "medium" should probably be large, considering that a 2,000 person school is not medium size. Maybe like 1,600?

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 20 2017, 07:12 PM
Post #12

Turtlemaster

It's official! 23 states will have the option to send a wildcard team to Nationals this year!
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Georgia
  • Hawai'i
  • Iowa
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Massachusetts
  • Maine
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

I am sooooooooo excited for this!

So, since all of the top teams in Texas have populations over 1300... who else will be headed to Frisco? My bet is Lebanon Trail. cool.gif (Though I guess they wouldn't be going to Frisco, since they already kinda live there, but... you know what I mean.)

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Nov 20 2017, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Member No.: 16

Why does USAD keep bringing in new teams and not allowing them to compete for the team championship? First teams from China that can't beat US teams, now wild card teams that can't beat the state champions. Pretty soon more than half of all teams at nationals will be ineligible to win.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 20 2017, 07:44 PM
Post #14

Turtlemaster

Top Texas schools with populations under 1300:
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • Townview Talented & Gifted
  • Townview Science & Engineering
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Taylor (not James E. Taylor)
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Nov 20 2017, 03:25 PM) *
Why does USAD keep bringing in new teams and not allowing them to compete for the team championship? First teams from China that can't beat US teams, now wild card teams that can't beat the state champions. Pretty soon more than half of all teams at nationals will be ineligible to win.

I think that actually is already the case... I mean, if all 23 states bring second teams, and there's 15 international, let's say, then there'd have to be 38 state champions there to match that... and last year there were only 32.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 20 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 20 2017, 08:44 PM) *
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones

I think that actually is already the case... I mean, if all 23 states bring second teams, and there's 15 international, let's say, then there'd have to be 38 state champions there to match that... and last year there were only 32.

I agree that it is a bit absurd. China teams are now eligible I believe though. If it was my team that was invited to division 4 I don't think I would go.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Jr.
post Nov 20 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #16

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 690,173

D IV? That’s gonnna be one looooooooooooooooong award ceremony.

--------------------
2013-2015 Varsity
"Isn't it pretty to think so?"

+Quote Post
Dave C
post Nov 20 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 233,229

This is great. Out of curiosity, is this the result of a lottery selection, or is it every state that expressed interest? I was expecting a shorter list.

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Nov 20 2017, 11:30 PM
Post #18

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 20 2017, 08:44 PM) *
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones

Yay Talkington and Estecado! Strange to think Lubbock ISD has a chance (however tiny) to send two teams to nationals.
But Talkington might have some issues. I believe Talkington has special status as a medium school by TAD standards as a private/magnet school in a district with medium schools, despite being smaller than Estecado. Would that be a problem by USAD rules too?

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 21 2017, 12:09 AM
Post #19

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Nov 20 2017, 07:30 PM) *
Yay Talkington and Estecado! Strange to think Lubbock ISD has a chance (however tiny) to send two teams to nationals.
But Talkington might have some issues. I believe Talkington has special status as a medium school by TAD standards as a private/magnet school in a district with medium schools, despite being smaller than Estecado. Would that be a problem by USAD rules too?

Nope! USAD goes strictly by enrollment. There are many magnet/private schools over the years that have been placed in Division III despite being able to have a very selected student body.

QUOTE (Dave C @ Nov 20 2017, 07:09 PM) *
This is great. Out of curiosity, is this the result of a lottery selection, or is it every state that expressed interest? I was expecting a shorter list.

I was too. But apparently Texas can handle all the teams, so this year it seems everyone got in who wanted!

Notable states missing are Alaska, Arizona, and Rhode Island.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Nov 21 2017, 01:50 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 252,079

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 20 2017, 01:44 PM) *
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones

I don't understand how this Division IV thing works. Aren't both of the Townview teams listed as large schools in Texas and will be competing to try to earn two of the 40 spots in San Antonio? I thought it meant that if we have a repeat of last year's state finish with Highland Park winning medium and Dulles winning large but with a lower team score than Highland Park than they could also compete at nationals?

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Ridge Point High School, Texas
State Qualifiers 2016 (medium school level) and 2017 (large school level)
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Team Champs, 2014, 2015, 2017

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th December 2017 - 08:15 AM