Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coaching, competing blog, An attempt to write out some ideas
stanleytree
post Jan 17 2018, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

Hey everyone, so I wanted to do this for a while and figured why not now. I have wanted to write a blog about my experiences both coaching and competing, and figured I'd post it here to see if this has traction. Feel free to comment over there- with the lack of action on the board for anyone except for a few, maybe a new place would be beneficial.

theacadecguy.wordpress.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Scholastic Underdog_*
post Jan 17 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Jan 17 2018, 01:23 AM) *
Hey everyone, so I wanted to do this for a while and figured why not now. I have wanted to write a blog about my experiences both coaching and competing, and figured I'd post it here to see if this has traction. Feel free to comment over there- with the lack of action on the board for anyone except for a few, maybe a new place would be beneficial.

theacadecguy.wordpress.com

You've got yourself at least one follower smile.gif I look forward to seeing how far you take this!

+Quote Post
Guest_nixonotis_*
post Jan 22 2018, 11:54 PM
Post #3

Guests

Just followed your wordpress smile.gif I think this is a great idea!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 23 2018, 06:37 PM
Post #4

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

You might be able to set up a plugin that will pipe your blog into the IP.Board. I've got a blog-board plugin at my SMF forum that's pretty easy to work with.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 25 2018, 04:17 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12

I don't know what any of that means Dean, but I'd love to do it.

I made a second post, this time focusing a bit more on ways to recruit and a little bit on varsities: How to Build an Acadec Team, Part 2: Recruiting

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Jan 25 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #6

The Fisher King

https://www.networking-forums.com/blogs-of-...erest-and-note/

^ I've got several blogs that pipe content into that part of my forum. I go to the blog plugin, enter the URL of the blog's RSS feed, add a title for the blog, hit save, and the entries roll in.

Although, I look for an IPB app that does what I'm talking about and it looks like it'll cost $30. Dang, SMF stuff be for free...

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post Apr 26 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 722,347

Well, I finally posted another one. This time it's mostly written by my students. I apologize if this get under anyone's skin, but they needed to get some stuff off their chest and I endorse most of what they say. I need to figure out how to create pdfs of the rubrics they created so I can upload those as well.

The Dulles Decathlon Manifesto

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2016 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Apr 30 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #8

The Fisher King

Judge training is difficult, at best. You'll always have judges that showed up late because of their schedule, last-minute replacements, and the like. That's just how these events are put together.

That then means you also get judges that are grading like they really don't care at all about what they're doing. There should be a way to simply drop those judges' scores if they're going like... straight 2s except for one kid that gets 10s. Or straight 10s except for one kid that gets 2s. We don't need Santa Claus or The Grinch in as judges. We need people that are putting some thought into this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post Apr 30 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Apr 30 2018, 01:28 PM) *
Judge training is difficult, at best. You'll always have judges that showed up late because of their schedule, last-minute replacements, and the like. That's just how these events are put together.

That then means you also get judges that are grading like they really don't care at all about what they're doing. There should be a way to simply drop those judges' scores if they're going like... straight 2s except for one kid that gets 10s. Or straight 10s except for one kid that gets 2s. We don't need Santa Claus or The Grinch in as judges. We need people that are putting some thought into this.

I think the essay idea of taking the two closest is a better option. If someone is too bubbly about everything, then all their scores are gone. If someone doesn't want to be there, then all of theirs are gone. I also think ranking each room from a max of 1,000 (top scorer gets that automatically), then scaling down from there would really balance out a lot of those problems. Would it boost scores? Of course, but a)USAD wants to do that anyways, and cool.gif it would make things way more equitable between rooms. How many overall individual medals have been decided by being in the wrong or right subs room?

--------------------

Competition

Coach

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Apr 30 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,988

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ Apr 30 2018, 07:24 PM) *
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Apr 30 2018, 01:28 PM) *

I think the essay idea of taking the two closest is a better option. If someone is too bubbly about everything, then all their scores are gone. If someone doesn't want to be there, then all of theirs are gone. I also think ranking each room from a max of 1,000 (top scorer gets that automatically), then scaling down from there would really balance out a lot of those problems. Would it boost scores? Of course, but a)USAD wants to do that anyways, and cool.gif it would make things way more equitable between rooms. How many overall individual medals have been decided by being in the wrong or right subs room?

Speaking from the experience of both judging and training for essay, I feel that there are a lot of enormous flaws in the event at almost every level. What you suggest, the top-score-gets-1,000-then-scale idea can work, but there are issues with it as well. For instance, at Region VII this past season, there was one essay topic (I don’t recall which) that didn’t have a single truly great essay—there were plenty of 600-700 scores, but practically nobody above that level. I personally have an issue with the top of that pool being given the same score as, say, Achutha, whose essay was truly astonishingly strong. Beyond that, essay judging isn’t done the same as speech and interview, with there being separate rooms, or even separate groups. We generally separated the essays into three groups (one for each topic) and separated into three groups ourselves, with group sizes generally correlating to the size of the stack of essays for each topic. However, due to variations in grading speed, along with the relatively common need for a 3rd reader (it happened a looooot at Region VII this year and last), which judges graded which essays varied constantly and there was practically no consistency in it. As such, denoting what the different “rooms” would be from which to build the 1,000-then-scale stuff would be very hard to do.

Please don’t take this as a dismissal of your ideas, though—I do really and truly like your ideas and they’d certainly be better than what USAD is doing right now. I just want the problems to be discussed and fleshed out, that way proper solutions can be worked on in such a way that these proposed changes are justifiable in most every way... something USAD clearly never did with practically any of their policies.

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 1 2018, 12:23 PM
Post #11

I'm not saying you do the room thing with essay, just speech and interview. The essay rubric needs its own rework.

--------------------

Competition

Coach

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post May 1 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 721,988

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ May 1 2018, 12:23 PM) *
I'm not saying you do the room thing with essay, just speech and interview. The essay rubric needs its own rework.

In that case, absolutely agree with you, then. Especially for the essay rubric... ugh

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 3 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #13

The Fisher King

Why not make the essay test an essay *grading* test. Students have to grade for both grammar mistakes as well as poor construction of arguments. Provide 3-5 essays of varying quality and have the students see how close they can get to the actual grade. They have to list where they see errors in grammar as well as where they can spot flawed arguments or poor parallel construction, stuff like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 6 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #14

Got another post this weekend- it rapidly went off the rails before becoming focused back on what I wanted it to be about. Lots of stuff covered, hope y'all enjoy:

--------------------

Competition

Coach

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 8 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #15

The Fisher King

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ May 6 2018, 05:45 PM) *
Got another post this weekend- it rapidly went off the rails before becoming focused back on what I wanted it to be about. Lots of stuff covered, hope y'all enjoy:

You're almost sandbagging, there. emot-smug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post May 13 2018, 09:38 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 721,993

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ May 6 2018, 03:45 PM) *

I commend you on the post mortem. You weren't afraid to look in the mirror. We, too, just missed a goal at the state competition (not one as lofty as yours), but one we thought we could hit. We wanted to be top 10, and while we had a crazy increase in objectives, we failed to perform in the subjectives the way we can. I, too, will have to look at how I contributed to this because I set the program and clearly I didn't adjust correctly. Announcing the recruitment of kids for next year starts tomorrow so hopefully we can get some interest in a fantastic theme.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 11:04 AM