Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Next Year..., ???
Guest_Stealer of Souls_*
post Jan 31 2018, 07:49 PM
Post #21

Guests

Whatever the theme, I hope the teams love it. Interestingly (at least to me), all four of my returning members like Africa better than World War II.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_korunic_*
post Mar 12 2018, 01:11 AM
Post #22

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Jan 24 2018, 03:07 PM) *
Next year's topic will be...

ACADEMIC DECATHLON

That's right! The competition *is* the topic! The packets will focus, thusly:

ECONOMICS: Special focus on printing costs and getting budget for competitions.

MUSIC: "The Songs of Decathlon", featuring the worst songs of each year that the decathletes have loved to hate. There will also be a special John Cage-inspired composition, "ABCDE", which will be a piano played by a Varsity guessing answers to the objective tests from 2008. Lots of C in that one, but there will be enough variety to keep it random.

ART: Emphasis on photography, particularly group photography. Works studied will be a survey of Academic Decathlon team photos from 1984 to the present. Both standard as well as "wacky" photos will be included.

LANG and LIT: The novel will be "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which is pretty much guaranteed to be something everyone has read, but we're sure there's at least one varsity per team that hasn't read it and, in fact, will not read it. Or even see the movie. Because varsities.

MATH: Same old math, nothing more to see here, move along. Well, there will be a look at using probability in making multiple-choice exams and the distribution of "C" as a correct answer through the history of the multiple-choice test.

SCIENCE: Aerodynamics. As in paper airplanes and "other creative missiles". Independent study will involve finding out about some of the more legendary AcDec airborne antics.

SOCIAL SCIENCE: Academic Decathlon. That's right, the whole competition, from then until now. Know the teams, know the scores, know the coaches, know the topics. Read this packet, and you'll be ready to kick back with the coaches and complain about the terrible subjective judging back in 2007.

ESSAY: In a twist, Decathletes will be presented with essays from past competitors and have to grade *them*. Let's see how accurately they can score 10 essays, ranging in quality from an Honors magnum opus all the way down to the semi-literate ramblings of a Varsity apologizing why he didn't read anything at all this year but please don't tell his coach, he doesn't want to make her mad. Until after she sees the scores...

This made my day...if USAD (for the 100th anniversary in a while or whatever) decides to do this, please take these suggestions verbatim. I would seriously consider secretly re-enrolling in high school just to participate. SoSci would be every scoremonger's dream XD

This post has been edited by korunic: Mar 12 2018, 01:12 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 08:20 AM