IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2016 in music: the best of., Top 10 lists here!!
TinDefacto
post Dec 23 2016, 07:36 AM
Post #1

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

We never talk about music. WHY DON'T WE TALK ABOUT MUSIC?!

Here's my top 10 albums list of the year (all titles linked to a song):

10. Indicator Indicator - Edie\Abel (electronic, indie pop)
Found this band's EP in my college's radio station freshman year; loved them instantly (and somehow even got them to play an acoustic set on my show!!). Their future looked bright, but then the lead singer had triplets (!!) aaaand as one may expect not too much time for music remained. As such, he decided it was time to retire from music altogether, but before then, they managed to crank out their first/last full-length as a swan songalbum of sorts. While certainly not as good as I had been hoping -- at times it's a bit more cheesy than what I'd expect from them -- it's still overall pretty solid and definitely a very good listen. Indicator Indicator, it was a good run, and I am sad to see you go. sad.gif

9. Big Black Delta - Trágame Tierra (electronic, synthrock)
Big Black Delta will always hold a special place in my heart. His first album, the imaginatively-titled BBDLP1, was an absolute masterpiece. So I suppose it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that he wasn't able to immediately recreate such an impressive feat with his sophomore album, Trágame Tierra (that's "Swallow Me Earth" for y'all gringos [yes, I know I'm the gringo to rule all gringos]). While certainly nowhere near the level of artistry and genius of his debut, owing largely to the airplay-ready sleek pop production and one too many collaborations, it nonetheless stands up as a very fine piece of work all in itself.

8. Paper Route - Real Emotion (indie rock, dreampop)
After Andy Smith left the band in 2010, it was clear that they would never put out anything that would match their 2009 masterpiece Absence. 2012's cheesy mess that was The Peace Of Wild Things proved that right, and any hopes I'd had for the band quickly dissipated. But then Real Emotion came out. While it never rivals the incredible and unique sound of their debut, it proves they're still capable of making some damn good music. There are definitely some cheesy moments, but if one can look past that, there are many gems to be found here.

Sidenote: I was at a concert of theirs last year before the album was even known to be coming out, and at one point they announced to the crowd that they were going to play a new song live for the first time, a song apparently inspired by "the greatest love story of all time". And then they said, "This is called Zhivago!" AND I LOST MY SMURF. <3 #just2013DecathleteThings

7. Future Of The Left - The Peace & Truce Of Future Of The Left (alternative, post-hardcore)
Future Of The Left is kind of hard to describe, but imagine if Gilbert Gottfried fronted a punk band. What you're picturing is probably pretty close to reality. Their fifth album, it also wasn't quite as good as I was expecting -- it's a bit less varied of a record than what one usually gets with them -- but it's still trademark FOTL, replete with loud and abrasive guitar riffs and witty/amusing lyrical escapades, and that will always be a good thing.

6. Porches - Pools (electronic, synthpop)
Yet another musician I find out about because my uncle made a music video for them (the one linked above). Pool is a journey through Aaron Maine's dark, moody mind, and may seem out-of-place to those aware of the fact that we are no longer living in the 80s, but hey, who said we can't pretend?

5. Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross/Gustavo Santoalalla/Mogwai - Before The Flood (OST) (ambient, electronic, post-industrial)
The fourth collaborative film score of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (both of Nine Inch Nails/How To Destroy Angels) found them working not alone but with seasoned film scorer Gustavo Santoalalla (Brokeback Mountain, Making a Murderer) and post-rock band Mogwai to make the accompanying music the Leonardo DiCaprio's climate change documentary Before The Flood. Now, I haven't seen the film, not do I know how good it is or isn't, but what I do know is that the two-hour score is absolutely phenomenal -- beautiful, dark, and haunting.

4. Wes Borland - Crystal Machete (electronic, post-rock)
Earlier this year, Wes Borland -- perhaps best known as the only actually talented member of Limp Bizkit, though I prefer to know him as the mastermind behind the band Black Light Burns -- announced that he had effectively locked himself in his studio for five weeks to make a record with only three goals in mind: 1) he had to do every aspect of the record himself -- writing, recording, mixing -- except mastering, 2) no distorted guitars, and 3) no human vocals. When the summer was over, what he came out with was Crystal Machete, described as "the soundtrack for an 80s film that doesn't exist". And I must say, it's hard to find an instrumental album that feels as cohesive and clearly tells as much of a story as this one. It's one trippy listen, so sit back, close your eyes, and let him tell you a story.

3. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound (alternative r&b, synthpop)
Also another artist I found out about due to my uncle making music videos for them (though none for this album so far). Dev Hynes, aka Blood Orange, is another masterful storyteller, and with Freetown Sound he has made a masterpiece of sound. I don't really know what to say because I obviously suck at writing about music but it is damn powerful stuff and you should listen.

2. 65daysofstatic - No Man's Sky (OST) (elecronic, post-rock)
Now, I've heard that apparently the video game sucks, but my god is the soundtrack incredible. 65daysofstatic are veteran post-rock heroes with long careers in creating epic soundscapes, so it makes perfect sense for them to score a video game. I earnestly think that this is their best work since their 2004 debut The Fall Of Math, one of my favorite albums of all time.

1. Royal Canoe - Something Got Lost Between Here & The Orbit (indie math rock, indie pop, electronic)
THIS ALBUM. It is brilliant and pure genius. I didn't think they could get better than 2013's Today We're Believers, but they proved me wrong, and man do I love being proven wrong sometimes. Please listen to at least the song linked above. <3

HONORABLE EP MENTIONS:
That was just for full-length albums, but Massive Attack's Ritual Spirit EP (trip hop, electronic) and Nine Inch Nails' Not The Actual Events (noise rock, industrial) are also incredible.

-------------------------------------

ANYWAY. Now that I've ranted/rambled about my favorite music of the year, tell me about yours!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Dec 23 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #2

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Dude, it's like we're listening to different radio stations or something... my 2016 discs of choice included Megadeth's Dystopia, Mos Generator's Abyssinia, Spacegoat's Superstition, and... the best of the year in my opinion...

WO FAT: MIDNIGHT COMETH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3PN-kzXEk
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! ninja_turtle.gif ninja_turtle.gif ninja_turtle.gif ninja_turtle.gif ninja_turtle.gif

That album hit the spot, and continues to get spun up a LOT on my playing preferences. Chunky-style, riff-happy, fuzzed-out jams. Rock is alive and well and living in Dallas, TX. It crashed with these dudes and is still hanging out with them.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:24 AM