post Mar 28 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #41

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (DTLA @ Mar 28 2017, 06:06 PM) *
QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Mar 28 2017, 10:42 AM) *
QUOTE (DTLA @ Mar 28 2017, 06:21 PM) *
Subjectives drop at state. Stronger competition, higher expectations. I've learned to expect a 1000-2000 drop in subs, it's just the nature of the beast.

I'm surprised there's not more outrage at CAD. This is TWO YEARS IN A ROW they've made a colossal mistake, and it is unacceptable. We joked around that they delayed the start of the award ceremony by two hours to make sure there weren't any mistakes, and yet, University was the victim of egregious error that should've been easy to identify. Coach Canfield and the kids at University are wonderful people, and have represented CA to the best of their abilities for a long time. I feel terrible for them, they don't deserve this.

While CAD spends it's time dealing with lame minutiae like sweater pockets and length, its credibility is slipping, quickly. If CAD really is the pinnacle of state organizations, there is no wonder why Academic Decathlon as a whole is so dysfunctional.

...sweater pockets? I definitely think it's a case of two years in a row being a pattern not an exception and it is unfortunate and kinda crazy they made that mistake. I do think having a non-size based division skew makes it harder to pinpoint but still. To Texas' credit, I do not remember too many errors like that, or really errors in general, the three years I've been coaching. Last year's essay thing was frustrating but was somewhat corrected and it was a location problem not an error.

I do believe Cali has the best presentation of awards by a long mile. Texas is just not quite as polished and as someone who won a state title this year, getting the same plaque we got at regions was not super great. But this error from Cali is kinda crazy.

Uniforms were one of the big rule changes this year. While it was apparently in rulebook for years, CAD decided to begin to enforce its "no pocket" rule last year, which disallowed several team uniforms. Understanding that a good 1/3 of the teams wear cardigans or jackets that have pockets, there was a quite a hullabaloo. Pockets are now allowed. This year they were talking about erasers, and how they worry that kids might bring in erasers that have information written on them. I can only laugh that they worry so much about the integrity and security of their tests, when a fellow state organization is releasing SQ videos, and they can't get the award ceremony right. Worry about pockets and erasers another time!

I'll trade you the glitz of our award ceremony, for your scholarship money. Again, CAD has bizarre priorities.

In regard to plaques and trophies, I think it's laughable that CA D2 and D3 teams get trophies, where legit top-10 get plaques. There's no way a school that put a sub-42k score should receive anything similar to what top teams receive. It makes no sense. Give the also-rans plaques, and give the teams that really worked hard the credit they deserve.

That's absurd. Who freaking cares? As long as what they're wearing isn't offensive, it doesn't really matter. That eraser thing is a sick joke. Even if they were, how many answers could you fit on that? C'mon CAD, be better.

I didn't realize our scholarship money is so much bigger. We got our kids 19k this year which was pretty incredible. I do agree I would rather take that than a trophy...I just wish we had a trophy

The Division thing in Cali is continuously bringing up weird things, and awards is another. I'm with you in one sense, but I'm also of the idea that if you have a d-3 and d-2 champion, they better have some sort of award. I also believe that program tends to be more important than size in decathlon success (University, Edgewood, etc.) so I see why they did this, and originally agreed with the score divisions. Now I'm not so sure.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allan21996
post Mar 29 2017, 03:03 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 83,395

There was a 500 dollar math and science scholarship, and a scholarship given by the coaches that is made on the spot in the 2.5 days before the awards thanks to the wonderful Ms. Gabby Scully. If she didn't do that scholarship, we'd have nothing.

--------------------
The Allan Aguirre
Former 4 year Decathlete.
Former Coach of some decent teams.
Just out here for the memes.

If you're truly passionate about Decathlon(or anything), money, resources, ability, should never hold you back. It should only drive your passion further, because than you're truly achieving something.

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Mar 29 2017, 04:38 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 123

QUOTE (Allan21996 @ Mar 29 2017, 04:03 AM) *
There was a 500 dollar math and science scholarship, and a scholarship given by the coaches that is made on the spot in the 2.5 days before the awards thanks to the wonderful Ms. Gabby Scully. If she didn't do that scholarship, we'd have nothing.

Yes, Gaby is amazing! And so is the media coverage in L.A.:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-e...0326-story.html

cool.gif

+Quote Post
fyzics
post Mar 29 2017, 05:20 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 30,249

You're all very sweet to give me credit for organizing the scholarship, but really, all I'm doing is collecting money and putting it into envelopes. Larry Walsh of Marshall used to do it, I think, and my first year back at states (2011), he asked if anyone would be willing to take over. I volunteered, and the rest is history - including the part where I fell off the stage a few years ago, so that was exciting....

It continues to amaze me that the engineers cough up less than the coaches, who, as we all know, have already contributed literally thousands of dollars over the course of the year. And, as was said, we do it in just a couple of days.

I'm still unclear as to what happened with University/St. Helena. I love both of those teams, both of those coaches. (Uni has had an incredible program for a zillion years, and Sean is amazing - open, welcoming, wonderful. And we're always cheering for St. Helena because they're the school we line up behind at states when we walk in, so we make a deal every year to yell for each other. Plus Evan is wonderful, too. smile.gif )

Did CAD not remember that St. Helena's was a small school? Because they clearly have a higher score on the Overall Team Scores list that was distributed in our packet after the awards ceremony. But maybe because Uni was D2 and St. Helena was D3, they got distracted? If anyone knows, I'd be curious.

I made my reservations to go to the Coaches' meeting in May up in Sacramento, so I hope all of this is on the agenda there. (Fun trick - years ago, I signed Stockdale HS up with a rewards program at the hotel we use, and I put myself as the contact. Thus, we/I get points every time we stay, and of course, we're 6 rooms for four nights. So I am using my rewards points to get a free hotel room up there for the conference. Two birds/one stone, and it won't cost my school money, which is a good thing.)

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Mar 29 2017, 06:11 PM
Post #45

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Perhaps it had something to do with the Super Quiz scores. It seems possible that University might have had a higher total with the relay, and then without the relay dropped behind St. Helena.

Just a guess.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
Abuelo
post Mar 29 2017, 06:18 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 123

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Mar 29 2017, 07:11 PM) *
Perhaps it had something to do with the Super Quiz scores. It seems possible that University might have had a higher total with the relay, and then without the relay dropped behind St. Helena.

Just a guess.

SQ was thrown out in California because of the Alaska Fiasco.

cool.gif

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Mar 29 2017, 09:17 PM
Post #47

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

Exactly. I suspect that there had it been included, University would have come out as that top small school. Possibly a list was already generated showing that. Then the appeal was made, and the relay was thrown out, and the powers that be forgot to re-check the small school scores without the relay until after the award had been announced.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
DTLA
post Mar 31 2017, 12:13 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,246

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Mar 29 2017, 02:17 PM) *
Exactly. I suspect that there had it been included, University would have come out as that top small school. Possibly a list was already generated showing that. Then the appeal was made, and the relay was thrown out, and the powers that be forgot to re-check the small school scores without the relay until after the award had been announced.

This makes complete sense. While I understand it is an honest mistake, given how hard our kids work, and how much they MUST pay attention to detail in order to succeed, this is inexcusable. Especially seeing this is the second year in a row it happened.

+Quote Post
schwartzy18
post Mar 31 2017, 02:18 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 230,734

I second this statement! It's just like the Oscars.
And you're right about it being worse since they pushed the Awards time back 2 hours for that exact reason.

QUOTE (DTLA @ Mar 30 2017, 04:13 PM) *
This makes complete sense. While I understand it is an honest mistake, given how hard our kids work, and how much they MUST pay attention to detail in order to succeed, this is inexcusable. Especially seeing this is the second year in a row it happened.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2017 - 07:34 AM