Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2017-18 topic
acadecker
post May 22 2017, 04:07 PM
Post #81

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 168

Again, I do not think low resolution files is the appropriate response; it will be interesting--to say the least--to see the results.

--------------------
Still coaching Academic Decathlon after 28 years!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 22 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #82

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (acadecker @ May 22 2017, 12:07 PM) *
Again, I do not think low resolution files is the appropriate response; it will be interesting--to say the least--to see the results.

Something tells me they don't really mean lower-resolution but actually do mean some sort of flattening. But I guess we'll see.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
acadecker
post May 24 2017, 01:24 AM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Sebastian, you finally got your linguistics . . . it's in the Music!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ahundredjarsofsk...
post May 24 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #84

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 705,695

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ May 22 2017, 05:26 PM) *
QUOTE (acadecker @ May 22 2017, 12:07 PM) *

Something tells me they don't really mean lower-resolution but actually do mean some sort of flattening. But I guess we'll see.

FWIW if anyone has Adobe pro, just cut down the file size on your own by exporting to a word document and re-pdfing. It preserves pagination & most of the formatting (though the fonts may change if you don't have them installed), and the file size drops significantly. I got social science from 68MB to 34MB and science from 61MB to 11MB (uh...? Probably lost res on the diagrams, though - the socsci maps were bad to begin with).

I also tried printing to pdf to see if saving a new version that way would work, but it was taking an hour per pdf so I gave up.

+Quote Post
acadecker
post May 24 2017, 01:33 PM
Post #85

Advanced Member

Successful steps:

Open up the downloaded pdf file in Adobe Acrobat Pro

Convert to a Word doc

Convert back to a pdf -- the non-Adobe version works best for some reason

Save

When I did this, the Social Science Resource Guide went from 118 MB in size to 18 MB in size.

There are a few glitches: for some reason, the graph is blank on page 128. The original is a bent line . . . no biggie.

The files this process did not work well on: Mathematics and the Study Guide. The Mathematics places numbers, especially those in formulas, in the wrong places. I may have to print these pages out one at a time from the original. Or, when the kids get to them, simply write the correct formulas on the board.

The advantages with these files outweighs the few glitches. Not only do these print MUCH faster, they scroll much easier when viewing/reading/studying.

This post has been edited by acadecker: May 27 2017, 05:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 28 2017, 11:24 PM
Post #86

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Well, these PDF things are all fancy and new. In a few years, they should have the kinks all worked out.

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
Dave C
post Jun 7 2017, 06:03 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 233,229

Small PDFs are being uploaded right now. Jessica Cole said all of them are ready except music. They are available with your regular download link. I did a comparison of the social science files, and the quality didn't go down that much. The black and white images lost some resolution, but not enough to make a big difference. Most of the color images are unaffected.

Edit: Jessica says that the music guide is still coming. Art, science, and social science are new. The literature guide there got replaced last week, so re-download the old link for the small file. Math and econ are not being replaced.

This post has been edited by Dave C: Jun 7 2017, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 12:40 PM