IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Scoring System, because a lot of people are discussing it in other threads
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 12 2012, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

Firstly, I don't intend for this post to be a discussion of the new SQ. Rather, I just want to have a place to talk about what the switch from 60,000 to 70,000 points total will affect.
So I'll pick up where the "Prospects for Next Year" discussion left off. I personally think that the change will make it ridiculously difficult to set numerical goals at first.

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 13 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #2

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

I'm planning on having my team work out of 60k until we approach the R1 invitational, with maybe a few relays here or there.
Learning the material comes first. Dealing with nerves is important too, but it's a faster problem to deal with.

This post has been edited by Herohito: Apr 13 2012, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
BearMan
post Apr 13 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 207,578

I'm curious as to how the scoring software is gonna work. Obviously they'll need to revamp it to accomodate this new stuff...but the current software hasn't been updated for 10 years...so what do you bet USAD is just like "smurf you all, figure it out yourselves!"

--------------------
Once a Polar Bear, Always a Polar Bear

+Quote Post
acadecker
post Apr 13 2012, 03:09 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 168

It makes for some very interesting (and to me, scary) scenarios. My nightmare scenario at next year's Regional competition is for my team to have more individual medals than any other team, have the top two overall honors, two of the top scholastics, and the top varsity, have ZERO chance of not winning based upon previous scoring systems, and then wind up NOT winning because we screwed up on the Super Quiz relay and dropped 2,000 to 3,000 points during that event.

Based upon how badly we performed during every single Super Quiz Relay this past year, this could happen.

So yeah, numerical predictions are out-the-window.

--------------------
Still coaching Academic Decathlon after 28 years!

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Apr 13 2012, 03:44 AM
Post #5

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (acadecker @ Apr 12 2012, 07:09 PM) *
It makes for some very interesting (and to me, scary) scenarios. My nightmare scenario at next year's Regional competition is for my team to have more individual medals than any other team, have the top two overall honors, two of the top scholastics, and the top varsity, have ZERO chance of not winning based upon previous scoring systems, and then wind up NOT winning because we screwed up on the Super Quiz relay and dropped 2,000 to 3,000 points during that event.

Based upon how badly we performed during every single Super Quiz Relay this past year, this could happen.

So yeah, numerical predictions are out-the-window.

Statistically this is very unlikely, unless your team performs worse under pressure for some reason. Remember that the SQ relay now includes all the objectives except math.

+Quote Post
acadecker
post Apr 13 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 168

Unfortunately, this (team worse under pressure of SQ Relay) happened to us ALL YEAR LONG. I think we were five questions behind the leader at SQ Relay at Regionals, and yet we won the combined (written plus relay) SQ at that same tournament. We won Regionals by over 1,000 points and we had 4 of the top 9 scorers (#1 and #3 Honors and #1 and #3 Varsity)--but what if each question on the Relay had been worth 333 pts? That's 1500 points, and now we're looking at 2nd place. My team clearly knew the Super Quiz articles, as evidenced through winning the combined--but our on-stage collapse would have cost us the tournament. I've run the numbers: if we do the same thing next year, we don't win.

We went on to the State Tournament, where we had our worst showing on the Super Quiz Relay that I've seen from one of my teams in 23 years of competing--14 points, which was about 20 points behind the #1 team. Just the year before, we finished in 2nd place in the State SQ Relay. This year's team just did not do well in the SQ Relay, even though I felt that they knew the material. This is going to bug me all year long, and it is going to keep me awake at night leading up to Regional competition.

If my students thought I looked stressed during Relay before, just wait 'til next year . . .

This post has been edited by acadecker: Apr 13 2012, 03:26 PM

--------------------
Still coaching Academic Decathlon after 28 years!

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 14 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #7

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (acadecker @ Apr 13 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Unfortunately, this (team worse under pressure of SQ Relay) happened to us ALL YEAR LONG.

This year's team just did not do well in the SQ Relay, even though I felt that they knew the material. This is going to bug me all year long, and it is going to keep me awake at night leading up to Regional competition.

If my students thought I looked stressed during Relay before, just wait 'til next year . . .

Seconded. The pressure to choose an answer so quickly encourages students to go with instinct, which doesn't often work - I had a blonde moment and forget whose colony Mozambique was, so I immediately went with France because I thought the name sounded French. Our V3, when asked about a topic he knew quite well, equated "improvements in weaponry" with "percussion caps," simply because he ran out of time to read the other choices. I don't like relay.

--------------------
Marin Young

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 14 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #8

One Vision, One Purpose

Sometimes, the best solution is just to do a lot of relays. That got us pretty far at Regionals.

+Quote Post
Sherpa
post Apr 14 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #9

THE NEVER SLEEPING OCTOPUSHERPA

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 754

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 13 2012, 11:44 PM) *
Unfortunately, this (team worse under pressure of SQ Relay) happened to us ALL YEAR LONG.

This year's team just did not do well in the SQ Relay, even though I felt that they knew the material. This is going to bug me all year long, and it is going to keep me awake at night leading up to Regional competition.

Seconded. The pressure to choose an answer so quickly encourages students to go with instinct, which doesn't often work - I had a blonde moment and forget whose colony Mozambique was, so I immediately went with France because I thought the name sounded French. Our V3, when asked about a topic he knew quite well, equated "improvements in weaponry" with "percussion caps," simply because he ran out of time to read the other choices. I don't like relay.

HOLY. CRAP. We went 34/45 in relay this year. And two of our mistakes were EXACTLY those.

--------------------
Sherpa pwns all.
Raghu Achukola - Coppell Scholastic 2011
Raghu Achukola - Coppell Assistant Coach 2012
Raghu Achukola - UT Austin 2016
Raghu Achukola -.... You get the drift.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Apr 14 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #10

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 14 2012, 05:44 AM) *

That's kinda that deal with super quiz...you gotta prepare mentally to be able to quickly read the whole question, and all the answer choices, while disregarding all other surrounding distractions. It's not unfair, it's something you have to prepare for. We could all have a "brain fart", but the way to prepare for relay is to do it so much that you don't "brain fart"

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
me194
post Apr 14 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #11

Stephen Bergauer

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 16,107

QUOTE (acadecker @ Apr 13 2012, 08:19 AM) *
Unfortunately, this (team worse under pressure of SQ Relay) happened to us ALL YEAR LONG. I think we were five questions behind the leader at SQ Relay at Regionals, and yet we won the combined (written plus relay) SQ at that same tournament. We won Regionals by over 1,000 points and we had 4 of the top 9 scorers (#1 and #3 Honors and #1 and #3 Varsity)--but what if each question on the Relay had been worth 333 pts? That's 1500 points, and now we're looking at 2nd place. My team clearly knew the Super Quiz articles, as evidenced through winning the combined--but our on-stage collapse would have cost us the tournament. I've run the numbers: if we do the same thing next year, we don't win.

We went on to the State Tournament, where we had our worst showing on the Super Quiz Relay that I've seen from one of my teams in 23 years of competing--14 points, which was about 20 points behind the #1 team. Just the year before, we finished in 2nd place in the State SQ Relay. This year's team just did not do well in the SQ Relay, even though I felt that they knew the material. This is going to bug me all year long, and it is going to keep me awake at night leading up to Regional competition.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but I love the extra weight on Relay. More pressure = better...gotta learn how to perform under pressure sometime, right? I wish they'd scale it down to 6,000, though, so the math makes more sense.

--------------------
"We live as we dream--alone."

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 14 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #12

One Vision, One Purpose

This year also gives a bit of a buffer for bad scores in that 2 of 3 scores are counted.

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 14 2012, 08:11 PM
Post #13

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Sherpa @ Apr 14 2012, 05:14 AM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Apr 13 2012, 11:44 PM) *

HOLY. CRAP. We went 34/45 in relay this year. And two of our mistakes were EXACTLY those.

This makes me feel significantly better. xD We were 19/45. It killed us.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 01:11 AM