5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2018-19 Topic + Guides Discussion
nixonotis
post May 1 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #61

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 722,330

The funny thing about living in the 21st century is that most of the songs USAD probably tried so hard rolleyes.gif to acquire is that they are free on streaming platforms, like Spotify...

That being said, I made a Spotify playlist with (most of) the selected works! I couldn't find "REQUIEM AETERNAM," “OUT THERE” or “DIES IRAE," or at least the correct versions. I also included the whole piece for pieces that are split into movements (Coltrane & Reich).

Here's a blurb I wrote in Xathlon's Facebook Group:

Since the music is so accessible this year, at least in comparison to previous years, we are going to try to make some good Spotify playlists for students and coaches as part of our "Music for Decathletes" program!

Beyond just the Selected Works (the playlist I linked here), we'll be taking music from the Resource Guide--whether it was heavily covered, lightly referenced, or tangentially related to a point that was made--and construct playlists that will allow students to immerse themselves in the Transformational Decade. Of course, the Resource Guides won't be out for a bit...so here's something to get you started!

So I'll post my playlists somewhere on this forum if people would like to see them. Happy to take recommendations!

This post has been edited by nixonotis: May 1 2018, 04:14 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 1 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

It definitely feels like there will be a lot of music talked about not in the selections, which will make this even tougher than normal. What are page ranges we're thinking? I think 120+ for both music and sosci, 80 or so for lit, 80-90 for science, maybe 100 for art?

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 1 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #63

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 721,901

QUOTE (StanleyTree2.0 @ May 1 2018, 01:15 PM) *
It definitely feels like there will be a lot of music talked about not in the selections, which will make this even tougher than normal. What are page ranges we're thinking? I think 120+ for both music and sosci, 80 or so for lit, 80-90 for science, maybe 100 for art?

I think 120 seems way too low for music. Considering that we've had 200+ for that guide before, I think it could run really long again. And I think lit will need to be longer since there are so many more works than usual...that's more authors to talk about, etc.

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post May 1 2018, 10:37 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 721,993

Thanks for Aquarius and White Rabbit, but sorry USAD...I hate you. "It's Gonna Rain" is way worse that Dripsody. It could be used for torture purposes.

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post May 1 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 721,988

Dies Irae again? I loved that song back when we had it a few years back, but the fact that they’re repeating it is... interesting to me.

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post May 1 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #66

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 1 2018, 10:37 PM) *
Thanks for Aquarius and White Rabbit, but sorry USAD...I hate you. "It's Gonna Rain" is way worse that Dripsody. It could be used for torture purposes.

I was playing the selected works for my wife and when this one came on we both bust out laughing. The nice thing about it being so painful and odd is that for Listening Selection question purposes, you probably only need to hear it once or twice to identify it...

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 2 2018, 12:43 AM
Post #67

QUOTE (Scholastic Underdog @ May 1 2018, 05:42 PM) *
Dies Irae again? I loved that song back when we had it a few years back, but the fact that they’re repeating it is... interesting to me.

If the selection I found is correct, then it's a very different track from the energy year. Same part of the mass, but a totally different mass setting.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 2 2018, 01:18 AM
Post #68

Turtlemaster.

Group: Admin
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 1 2018, 06:37 PM) *

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I love It's Gonna Rain and I'm so excited it's a Listening Selection.

+Quote Post
Peter Cao
post May 2 2018, 02:33 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 721,908

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ May 2 2018, 02:18 AM) *
QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 1 2018, 06:37 PM) *

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I love It's Gonna Rain and I'm so excited it's a Listening Selection.

Same here, it's probably the best of the listening selections this year.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 2 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #70

Turtlemaster.

I mean, I don't know if I'd go that far... there's always 2013's "Ах ты степь" ("Akh ty steppe")... and Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto... *stares dreamily into the distance*

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post May 2 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #71

I understand the cultural significance of It's Gonna Rain...is that what you guys are talking about? From my perspective it is not pleasant to listen to. It would be awesome as a sample in another song, and I think it was clearly an excellent early example of ambient, minimalist music...it's not my favorite, though.

I'm curious--Peter and Sebastian--what makes you like the song so much, though smile.gif

+Quote Post
nixonotis
post May 2 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #72

If you can't tell, I'm REALLY excited about the music this year. I made a mixtape based off of topics/artists/songs/films/etc. that I found in the Music outline...here's a link--enjoy!

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 3 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #73

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (nixonotis @ May 2 2018, 01:15 PM) *
I understand the cultural significance of It's Gonna Rain...is that what you guys are talking about? From my perspective it is not pleasant to listen to. It would be awesome as a sample in another song, and I think it was clearly an excellent early example of ambient, minimalist music...it's not my favorite, though.

I'm curious--Peter and Sebastian--what makes you like the song so much, though smile.gif

It is partially the cultural significance -- and being someone who's super into sound experimentation and sample-based music and things of that sort, I'm a sucker for that -- but it's also just a nice listen!! I can't explain what I like specifically about it. It's just kind of soothing to listen to the sounds evolve and the two channels kind of play with each other. I can understand why someone may not like it, but I don't understand the vitriolic response it seems to be getting...

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 3 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #74

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Is this the first time that USAD has included an apology with the music outline?

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Stealer of Souls
post May 14 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 721,993

I didn't know where to post this so: Apparently the schools in my area have decided to have a new competition: Hmong Academic Decathlon. Does USAD have a copyright on that term? If so they should send a cease and desist order. How rude to base the name of your new competition after one that has been established for so long. Somebody connected should reach out to USAD and check into this underhanded theft taking place in Fresno County.

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post May 14 2018, 10:32 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 722,352

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 14 2018, 01:30 PM) *
I didn't know where to post this so: Apparently the schools in my area have decided to have a new competition: Hmong Academic Decathlon. Does USAD have a copyright on that term? If so they should send a cease and desist order. How rude to base the name of your new competition after one that has been established for so long. Somebody connected should reach out to USAD and check into this underhanded theft taking place in Fresno County.

Why are they calling it Hmong Academic Decathlon? That seems like such a random name. Does 'hmong' stand for something?

--------------------
Coach, Ridge Point High School, Missouri City, Texas
AcDec state participants, 2016 & 2017
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Senior Team Champions, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 15 2018, 02:12 PM
Post #77

Turtlemaster.

QUOTE (Stealer of Souls @ May 14 2018, 02:30 PM) *

I saw that on Twitter and was severely confused. I don't think USAD does have "Academic Decathlon" trademarked though... there's also that Catholic middle school "Academic Decathlon" in SoCal that I don't think USAD's ever done anything about. So maybe they do get to keep that name. :/ That really sucks.

That being said, the competition actually seems pretty neat -- it's for students learning about the Hmong language and culture to have a competitive outlet! I just wish they had a different name...

In other news, the new Resources (supposedly) come out today! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dave C
post May 15 2018, 02:37 PM
Post #78

Resource guides are indeed out. The last one (music) just went live. For page counters:
SS: 94
Sci: 95
Lit: 104
Art: 105
Econ: 130
Math: 148
Music: 172

Also exciting is that they don't have any of the problems with ginormous file sizes this year. Everything is pretty reasonable. I'm glad they learned after what happened last year.

Also also exciting is that the epub versions are available now too instead of having the delay they often have. That is handy for my e-reading kids.

This post has been edited by Dave C: May 15 2018, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post May 15 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #79

Turtlemaster.

That's great to hear they've fixed the file size issues!! Wow though, I'm amazed at the shortness of Social Science... I was thinking that'd be a behemoth! (That Music though... whoa.)

+Quote Post
StanleyTree2.0
post May 16 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #80

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 722,347

Read through a snippet of music- they named all of John coltranes band members. Seems like music is gonna be spicy. SoSci is only 70 or so without the charts and music is 140.

--------------------

Competition
2008 Texas State team champions- Pearland
2008 Texas State individual champion varsity category

Coach
2017 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles
2018 Texas State Large School state champion- Dulles

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2018 - 03:12 AM