IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> And you're not hardcore!, Unless you live hardcore!
Guest_Mr. Tree_*
post May 16 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Guests

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,...00.html?cnn=yes

You ain't the Catholic you thought you were, son.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 16 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #2

Guests

There's nothing like the zeal of a convert, but Gingrich may find it's awkward to try to be more Catholic than the Pope.

POPE'D MOTHAsmurfAS

POPE'D

+Quote Post
Guest_Mr. Tree_*
post May 16 2009, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Guests

Good ol' Newt. Doing his best to keep the Republican Party classy

+Quote Post
teeling
post May 16 2009, 08:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (the article)
The two spoke directly less than a week later, and the Pope sent yet another telegram on Jan. 20 when Obama was inaugurated.

i knew it! obama is a traitorous papist who will sell us to rome at the slightest provocation!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 17 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #5

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Notre Dame could have avoided the brou-ha-ha... but they didn't.

It'll all blow over when Obama orders an invasion of Iran.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post May 17 2009, 05:07 AM
Post #6

Guests

From personal experience, Catholic Universities and politics don't mix. When I visited Saint Louis University a year or two ago, someone in my tour group asked whether SLU would accept funds from a then proposed amendment in missouri that would have opened up private funding for stem-cell research. The tour guide dodged that question like will ferrel in a dodgeball match...

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 17 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 16 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Notre Dame could have avoided the brou-ha-ha... but they didn't.

It'll all blow over when Obama orders an invasion of Iran.

Yeah...that'll be the day I vote Libertarian...

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 17 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (Captaink @ May 16 2009, 11:07 PM) *
From personal experience, Catholic Universities and politics don't mix. When I visited Saint Louis University a year or two ago, someone in my tour group asked whether SLU would accept funds from a then proposed amendment in missouri that would have opened up private funding for stem-cell research. The tour guide dodged that question like will ferrel in a dodgeball match...

Is this an allusion to some movie of his?

+Quote Post
Guest_Captaink_*
post May 17 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (gabrielcunha.7 @ May 17 2009, 07:50 AM) *
QUOTE (Captaink @ May 16 2009, 11:07 PM) *

Is this an allusion to some movie of his?

Crap, forgot that that was the one movie will ferrel wasn't in with vince vaughn...
mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Mr. Tree_*
post May 17 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #10

Guests

Heyyyy back on topic fellas!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/05/16/oba...dame/index.html

Now 19 people arrested outside of Notre Dame for protesting this...it gets better!

+Quote Post
Guest_dizzyizzy_*
post May 19 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Guests

AND THE LEGEND OF THE POPE WAS WAY HARDCOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post May 20 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #12

The Fisher King

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

Offtopic post invisibled.

If abortion views were regionalized, we'd have another civil war, and that's the truth.

--------------------
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko

+Quote Post
Guest_mrrrg_*
post May 20 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 20 2009, 01:34 PM) *

If abortion views were regionalized, we'd have another civil war, and that's the truth.

Unlike a certain political party whose membership is 99.5% white, male, rich, quasi - racist and cranky, the Catholic church is truly a big tent with room for all. The current revanchist policies might reflect an infection of fundamentalism that will dissipate once the Light reveals how hypocritical most fundamentalists are. The problem with all fundamentalists (as I see it) is that in their desperate clinging to law, they totally abandon the spirit.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 20 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 20 2009, 04:34 AM) *

I don't think so...the Civil War came about from arguments over the expansion of slavery into new territories, while abortion is already legal everywhere...still, I completely agree with your point that the issue has become infectious and is given way too much weight in politics today.

QUOTE (mrrrg @ May 20 2009, 07:20 AM) *
QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 20 2009, 01:34 PM) *

Unlike a certain political party whose membership is 99.5% white, male, rich, quasi - racist and cranky

This is a totally ridiculous claim.
the Catholic church is truly a big tent with room for all. The current revanchist policies might reflect an infection of fundamentalism that will dissipate once the Light reveals how hypocritical most fundamentalists are. The problem with all fundamentalists (as I see it) is that in their desperate clinging to law, they totally abandon the spirit.

Now here I agree. I'm not Catholic, but unlike many of my nonreligious friends, I'd prefer to be Catholic over most other religions, because it is a very inclusive and genuine church...certainly more in the Christian spirit than the fundamentalist Protestant groups whose main purpose seems to be telling people not to be gay or have abortions.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post May 20 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 20 2009, 12:11 PM) *
certainly more in the Christian spirit than the fundamentalist Protestant groups whose main purpose seems to be telling people not to be gay or have abortions.

There is way more involved in these churches. I think it is interesting how its OK for some to have their beliefs but it is "reprehensible" for the religious right to promote theirs.

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 20 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (zzzptm @ May 20 2009, 06:34 AM) *

This may be kinda off topic, but I once read a crappy book called Unwind in which they do have a civil war over abortion.
Their solution: retroactvely abort unruly teenagers for spare organs.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post May 20 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (BadgerCam @ May 20 2009, 12:17 PM) *
certainly more in the Christian spirit than the fundamentalist Protestant groups whose main purpose seems to be telling people not to be gay or have abortions.

There is way more involved in these churches. I think it is interesting how its OK for some to have their beliefs but it is "reprehensible" for the religious right to promote theirs.

I don't remember saying that, but I won't argue that I didn't or that it isn't my opinion. In response, I think the difference between having beliefs and promoting them is quite interesting. I would find it just as reprehensible if homosexuals attempted to infringe on your right to follow your faith. I believe that we should have the right to our own beliefs, and that the government should not interfere in the private lives of citizens if at all possible.

Basically, your direct comparison between people being allowed to "have" beliefs, which should always be permissible, and being able to "promote" their beliefs (i.e. force them on nonbelievers) is quite flawed.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post May 20 2009, 09:49 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (TheWerg @ May 20 2009, 02:23 PM) *
QUOTE (BadgerCam @ May 20 2009, 12:17 PM) *

I don't remember saying that, but I won't argue that I didn't or that it isn't my opinion. In response, I think the difference between having beliefs and promoting them is quite interesting. I would find it just as reprehensible if homosexuals attempted to infringe on your right to follow your faith. I believe that we should have the right to our own beliefs, and that the government should not interfere in the private lives of citizens if at all possible.

Basically, your direct comparison between people being allowed to "have" beliefs, which should always be permissible, and being able to "promote" their beliefs (i.e. force them on nonbelievers) is quite flawed.

Ah. There is the important point. Having the right to abortions is infringing on my belief that it is murder. Those that promote the right to have an abortion are doing nothing different from those promoting the opposite viewpoint. Thus the entire argument (on both sides) is flawed and we end up where we are today, still arguing over Roe v. Wade.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post May 20 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #19

Guests

Clearly, it is ambiguous in the case of abortion. To you, it is murder. To others, it isn't. Therefore, in your own life, you can make that decision not to "murder" and to follow your beliefs. But if someone else doesn't agree on that point, you should not force that person to comply.

I must admit that I am far more ambivalent on the point of abortions than on most issues in which religion enters the political process, so I may not be the best one to argue it here.

This post has been edited by TheWerg: May 20 2009, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_gabrielcunha.7_*
post May 20 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (TheWerg @ May 20 2009, 03:54 PM) *
Clearly, it is ambiguous in the case of abortion. To you, it is murder. To others, it isn't. Therefore, in your own life, you can make that decision not to "murder" and to follow your beliefs. But if someone else doesn't agree on that point, you should not force that person to comply.

I must admit that I am far more ambivalent on the point of abortions than on most issues in which religion enters the political process, so I may not be the best one to argue it here.

I am for abortion, but if you think someone's committing murder, shouldn't you stop them?

This post has been edited by gabrielcunha.7: May 20 2009, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2018 - 11:03 AM