Reply to this topicStart new topic
> David Gear
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 8 2013, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Please keep Mr. Gear in your thoughts/prayers/chants/meditations/supplications/etc. He's undergoing surgery today to remove a cancerous kidney. It's a tough surgery and he needs all the positive energy that we can muster.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_GJNHS_*
post Jan 8 2013, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Jan 8 2013, 06:50 AM) *
Please keep Mr. Gear in your thoughts/prayers/chants/meditations/supplications/etc. He's undergoing surgery today to remove a cancerous kidney. It's a tough surgery and he needs all the positive energy that we can muster.

Many of you who are active on this site have never met David Gear...you only know him through his posts on this message board. I met David about 8 or 9 years ago at the Holmes Practice Meet in San Antonio, and knowing him has greatly enriched my Academic Decathlon experience. I have watched him grow and develop into one of the best (if not the best) Academic Decathlon coaches in America. He is as fine a man as he is a coach, and I hope and pray that all goes well for him during this difficult time.

Greg Jackson
Nimitz High School

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 8 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

The surgery was successful, but very dangerous. Mr. Gear lost about 2 pints of blood. He has been moved to the ICU. The doctor said there were a number of times when he almost died. However, the kidney has been removed, and it might not even be cancerous, but a really bad cyst. I will keep you updated as I hear more news.

+Quote Post
Guest_Dr. Roffles_*
post Jan 12 2013, 05:09 PM
Post #4

Guests

Really hope Mr. Gear gets through it all OK... any updates on his status?

He'll be in my thoughts, for sure. We're all pulling for him.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 12 2013, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

The latest word is that he is improving, although in some pain. They wanted to move him out of the ICU, but there weren't any regular rooms available in the hospital, so they're waiting one more day. No word on the pathology of the tumor, yet.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post Jan 12 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Jan 12 2013, 12:11 PM) *
The latest word is that he is improving, although in some pain. They wanted to move him out of the ICU, but there weren't any regular rooms available in the hospital, so they're waiting one more day. No word on the pathology of the tumor, yet.

Thanks for keeping us posted, EDC. I've never met or really talked to Coach Gear, but I've always admired him for leading Rockwall to such success and making a huge scrimmage run beautifully every fall. I hope he gets better.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Jan 15 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #7

Guests

Best of luck to him.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Jan 15 2013, 01:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Latest facebook update:

"The surgeon came in this afternoon and gave David the news we have expecting. Yep he used the C word. The blessing is that the cancer was removed with the tumor. He will get scans every three months. Tomorrow he will get to start with some clear liquids. He is working on recovering and wishing tge process would happen quicker. We want to thank all of you for your support and prayers. Please keep Maddie and Savannah in your thoughts as they struggle with their worry and fear concerning their daddy."

+Quote Post
stanleytree
post Jan 15 2013, 02:03 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 12

David Gear has brought tons of energy to decathlon in Rockwall and in Texas in general. He's a great guy, and I hope he recovers well. Dude's a beast.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 01:41 AM