Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Team Captains
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post May 3 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #1

Guests

What are your thoughts on making an outstanding Decathlete the team captain?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post May 3 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #2

Guests

I think we may have had a conversation about this before, but, succinctly, a team captain shouldn't just be someone who gets high scores in everything. The captain not only sets a standard for the team, but has to help their peers meet that standard. Which isn't necessarily easy.

The role isn't completely necessary, of course, but it was notably helpful to have a captain two of my three years.

+Quote Post
Guest_Herohito_*
post May 3 2012, 04:28 AM
Post #3

Guests

I think of captains as a "gateway" between the coach and student.
A decathlete that fulfills this task is the best for the job.

+Quote Post
Guest_cfnjofa_*
post May 3 2012, 05:24 AM
Post #4

Guests

We have three captains, kinda like the branches of government, they split up the captain's responsibilities and keep themselves in line. They are the hardest working and dedicated members of the team and they are voted on by the class.

+Quote Post
Guest_KurdishLiberator_*
post May 3 2012, 05:51 AM
Post #5

Guests

I personally don't believe in a team captain. I went out, recruited the majority of new students, attended every octathlon meeting and taught along side helping plan for team events. A captain sets up superiority which is always harmful toward structure. Here is my logic; a team try's to score as high as their best honors/leader. Rarely will you find a team in which the highest scorer is a varsity. The issue is that a captain almost takes away from that "drive to the top" by creating an inherent leader. Furthermore, AcDec is already way to "leveled" in that people are content beating their own bracket which is enough in their eyes. It's irrational to add another level of superiority and harm team mentality. As a whole, even though I'm viewed by some as the "de facto captain", I will never take that title. I will serve my role as a decathelete that helps his team regardless of what his "status" is.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post May 3 2012, 06:17 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (KurdishLiberator @ May 2 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Here is my logic; a team try's to score as high as their best honors/leader. Rarely will you find a team in which the highest scorer is a varsity. The issue is that a captain almost takes away from that "drive to the top" by creating an inherent leader. Furthermore, AcDec is already way to "leveled" in that people are content beating their own bracket which is enough in their eyes. It's irrational to add another level of superiority and harm team mentality. As a whole, even though I'm viewed by some as the "de facto captain", I will never take that title. I will serve my role as a decathelete that helps his team regardless of what his "status" is.

Every team has a highest scorer. If that person assists their teammates as they go throughout the year, in a non-dickish manner, then the superiority is ameliorated and unlikely to lead to resentfulness. I see no reason why not to name that person a captain. The pretense of title is a pretty good motivator.

Besides, any problems caused by the title would be mitigated by making captains speak at school board meetings and carry water/calculators/trophies. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_swaswa_*
post May 3 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #7

Guests

I personally don't believe in a team captain. I went out, recruited the majority of new students, attended every octathlon meeting and taught along side helping plan for team events. A captain sets up superiority which is always harmful toward structure. Here is my logic; a team try's to score as high as their best honors/leader. Rarely will you find a team in which the highest scorer is a varsity. The issue is that a captain almost takes away from that "drive to the top" by creating an inherent leader. Furthermore, AcDec is already way to "leveled" in that people are content beating their own bracket which is enough in their eyes. It's irrational to add another level of superiority and harm team mentality. As a whole, even though I'm viewed by some as the "de facto captain", I will never take that title. I will serve my role as a decathelete that helps his team regardless of what his "status" is.

I honestly don't think there's one set way to run a successful decathlon program. Whether or not you have captains do an enormous amount of work depends on the type of program you run. Our program has elected two captains for the past 19 years, and it has worked well for us, for the most part. Being a captain requires both leadership and dedication (I can't say I have both yet, but I'm working on it biggrin.gif). Our long-time head coach, Mr. Scott, has always been a busy man, with all that he does for the school. Therefore, having captains to run meetings, motivate other students, and keep everyone in line is ideal for us. I've also found that certain decathletes respond better to other students than older coaches, but others are complete opposites.

Our team has always understood that captainship doesn't equate to a level of superiority. They're just elected based on whether they can set a good example for the rest of the team and show everyone the ropes when it comes to competition prep. Our captains have always been just as important as the rest of our members; they're there to act as positive role models and leaders for the rest of the decathletes.

This post has been edited by swaswa: May 3 2012, 06:34 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_Crow_*
post May 3 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ May 2 2012, 07:19 PM) *

To some extent, I'd say its better to pick somebody well liked by 1) fellow decathletes & 2) teachers.

Our captain's main job was to be team ambassador. English teacher has a major project due the day before competition? Send out the captain to ask for a one week extension. The local rag sent their bottom rung reporter out to do a story on your team? Give them an interview with the captain.

If they're also an outstanding decathlete, great, but if you have a happy-go-lucky scholastic, they're ideal because they can pull off the combination of "friendly/actually studies/hasn't been wholly consumed by the madness." Varsities and honors can be kinda quirky in that role sometimes.

If you're captain has, like, actual duties beyond being the lovable PR person, you should probably farm those out to the most obviously dedicated people. (And maybe have a separate Dr Jekyll captain when you want things from people / need to get well-meaning intruders out of your hair.)

This post has been edited by Crow: May 3 2012, 06:34 AM

+Quote Post
Guest_swaswa_*
post May 3 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Crow @ May 2 2012, 11:32 PM) *

To some extent, I'd say its better to pick somebody well liked by 1) fellow decathletes & 2) teachers.

Our captain's main job was to be team ambassador. English teacher has a major project due the day before competition? Send out the captain to ask for a one week extension. The local rag sent their bottom rung reporter out to do a story on your team? Give them an interview with the captain.

If they're also an outstanding decathlete, great, but if you have a happy-go-lucky scholastic, they're ideal because they can pull off the combination of "friendly/actually studies/hasn't been wholly consumed by the madness." Varsities and honors can be kinda quirky in that role sometimes.

If you're captain has, like, actual duties beyond being the lovable PR person, you should probably farm those out to the most obviously dedicated people. (And maybe have a separate Dr Jekyll captain when you want things from people / need to get well-meaning intruders out of your hair.)

That's actually a really good point. Among other things, a captain is the voice and face of the program around the school.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post May 3 2012, 06:40 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Crow @ May 2 2012, 11:32 PM) *

Essentially, your captain should be Ferris Bueller.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crow_*
post May 3 2012, 06:44 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Widget! @ May 2 2012, 11:40 PM) *
Essentially, your captain should be Ferris Bueller.

Well put, my good sir.

+Quote Post
Guest_kplay6809_*
post May 3 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #12

Guests

Captain is something you put on your college resume, and in most cases never touch again. Our team had leaders, sure, especially when it comes to each GPA category, but everyone is, hopefully, motivated enough to do the work themselves.

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post May 3 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #13

Guests

The purpose of a team captain is to have authority backed by the coach. The captain can hold study sessions and additional practices when the coach isn't available, and have the power to make people attend those things or else they will get in trouble with the coach. Unfortunately, that system only works if the coach has any power in the first place, which was not generally the case on my team. We were so desperate for members (at least varsities) that we practically had to beg people to join/stay on the team. We did have a team captain my freshman year - I think my coach wanted to honor him for his years of dedication and strong leadership skills - and we all respected him, but I'm not sure that his "captain" title made a big difference to the team dynamic. I can see it working very well on a team where more students want to compete, and thus the coach has more leverage over them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post May 3 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Guests

This isn't really a science, there's plenty of reason to argue for/against a codified hierarchy.

+Quote Post
Guest_overly_critical_man_*
post May 3 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #15

Guests

A hierarchy must be established so the varsities know who to carry luggage for at state and nationals. emot-colbert.gif

Seriously though...a captain shouldn't necessarily be your highest scorer. More like the person you trust to lead you. A charismatic leader, if you will.

+Quote Post
Guest_magicblueman_*
post May 3 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #16

Guests

We always assigned one captain per division. It was normally the person who had had the most experience and/or who had the most work ethic. The idea was to put that person on a pedestal 1) to reward their work and 2) to set an example for the rest of the team. It really carried no weight other than the symbolism though. I'm a fan of the idea, but I can see where it can easily cause some excess strain on a team's dynamic (as it may have done with my team a few times).

This post has been edited by magicblueman: May 3 2012, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Sherpa_*
post May 3 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #17

Guests

At least one of our captains for the last two years didn't compete. Thus they had more time for captainly duties, but they scored lower than every other competitive decathlete in their division so they didn't have that superiority.

In the old times, captains were always honors because they were the only people with work ethic. However, in a truly more balanced team, it is sometimes good to make a varsity/scholastic captain.
In 2011, we had two scholastics as co-captains. That was our best year (maybe a reversal of causation, but still)

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post May 3 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #18

Guests

The first team captain I ever had was the top honors and a slave-driver. We had a calendar printed out with each day's tests and what material we should study that night, and it was her who set the testing schedule, not our coach (I think, this was 4 years ago, I might be wrong).

She broke DDD's old record at nationals and we broke 51k (which beat our school's previous record by almost 10,000 points). I think it worked out well.

+Quote Post
Guest_J Eberhard_*
post May 4 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #19

Guests

we choose team captains after the season based on
1- contributions in points to success of team
2- contributions to the success of teammates (willingness to help others with the material)
3- the ultimate 'team' person

If a student wants "team captain" it will be based on results.

We also give out an M.V.B. award (most valuable brain)... the student who without their score our team results would have really suffered.

+Quote Post
Guest_the_crazy_honors_*
post May 4 2012, 03:05 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ May 3 2012, 09:50 AM) *
The purpose of a team captain is to have authority backed by the coach. The captain can hold study sessions and additional practices when the coach isn't available, and have the power to make people attend those things or else they will get in trouble with the coach. Unfortunately, that system only works if the coach has any power in the first place, which was not generally the case on my team. We were so desperate for members (at least varsities) that we practically had to beg people to join/stay on the team. We did have a team captain my freshman year - I think my coach wanted to honor him for his years of dedication and strong leadership skills - and we all respected him, but I'm not sure that his "captain" title made a big difference to the team dynamic. I can see it working very well on a team where more students want to compete, and thus the coach has more leverage over them.

Well, about five of us held practice sessions independent of the coaches this past year. It's just our thing.
My problem is, our S1 half-jokingly declared herself captain in November, and the title stuck. Her scores are relatively better than mine, and she does have the charisma that makes our team listen to her. However, I personally consider myself a de facto captain because I make study materials (I'm going to finish up a chapter summary of Dr. Z after this post), spend quite a bit of time trying to come up with ways to work with our team, carry a notebook specific to AcDec leadership (NOT study materials, just stuff about the team and how to teach and stuff) with me everywhere, keep a running list of interview questions as I come up with them...I can't speak for her, but I spend around three hours a day on Decathlon right now. For comparison, I believe most of our Honors only really work during the hourlong class period, at least this time of year.
I'll be perfectly honest: I resent that she gets the recognition for being captain simply because she's older and, I suppose, more assertive - she did lay claim to the title before I expressed that I wanted to lead. All year, though, I've been angry at myself for slacking off at the beginning and letting her little bit of leadership be recognized, because now that I work my tail off to try to get us up to the roughly 36k we need to advance to the Texas State meet this coming year, I'm still in her 5.5k-scoring, grudge-holding, title-claiming shadow as "lieutenant."
She's a junior now, so at least I'll be able to be a great captain by senior year, I suppose. Still, I desperately want to be the best thing that ever happened to my school's newly revived AcDec program. I want to be the captain who takes us to State for the first time in five years. I want to be the captain who gets all six counting scores above 5k for the first time in too smurfing long. Maybe part of me just wants validation for what I'm doing, but I really do want to know - what should I be doing that I'm not? What should I not be doing that I am? I've come to respect a lot of you guys and your opinions, and I could use some advice.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 06:07 AM