> Division IV at Nationals
TinDefacto
post Nov 21 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #21

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Nov 20 2017, 09:50 PM) *
I don't understand how this Division IV thing works. Aren't both of the Townview teams listed as large schools in Texas and will be competing to try to earn two of the 40 spots in San Antonio? I thought it meant that if we have a repeat of last year's state finish with Highland Park winning medium and Dulles winning large but with a lower team score than Highland Park than they could also compete at nationals?

Both Townview teams are indeed competing as Large in Texas, but that's because they're magnet schools -- per TAD rules, any magnet school, regardless of its enrollment, must compete at the size of the largest school in the district. This is why they're Large, but Talkington in Lubbock is Medium -- Lubbock has no Large schools.

USAD, however, is not concerned with how states make their divisions; they have their own population divisions, and no special rules about magnet or private schools. That is why the Townviews would be Small for USAD -- I hope that makes sense! smile.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Nov 21 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #22

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Nov 21 2017, 01:50 AM) *
QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Nov 20 2017, 01:44 PM) *
Top Texas schools with populations under 1300:
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • Townview Talented & Gifted
  • Townview Science & Engineering
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Taylor (not James E. Taylor)
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Nov 20 2017, 03:25 PM) *
Why does USAD keep bringing in new teams and not allowing them to compete for the team championship? First teams from China that can't beat US teams, now wild card teams that can't beat the state champions. Pretty soon more than half of all teams at nationals will be ineligible to win.

I think that actually is already the case... I mean, if all 23 states bring second teams, and there's 15 international, let's say, then there'd have to be 38 state champions there to match that... and last year there were only 32.

I don't understand how this Division IV thing works. Aren't both of the Townview teams listed as large schools in Texas and will be competing to try to earn two of the 40 spots in San Antonio? I thought it meant that if we have a repeat of last year's state finish with Highland Park winning medium and Dulles winning large but with a lower team score than Highland Park than they could also compete at nationals?

What TinDefacto said, but also Highland Park and Dulles are both large schools by USAD divisions (as is Lubbock High), so Dulles could not have gone to nationals as a division 4 school last year were this rule in place. Last year, Bandera would have been the division 4 team (I think).

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 21 2017, 08:24 PM
Post #23

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (JakeLHS @ Nov 21 2017, 03:57 PM) *
Last year, Bandera would have been the division 4 team (I think).

Yup, I believe so! Although I realized I'd forgotten another school from my list:
  • Lebanon Trail
  • Talkington
  • Townview Talented & Gifted
  • Townview Science & Engineering
  • John Paul II
  • Bandera
  • Sam Houston
  • Taylor (not James E. Taylor)
  • Estacado
  • IL Texas Garland
  • A.C. Jones
  • Turner College & Career

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
zzzptm
post Nov 26 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #24

HRH, King of DemiDecTalk and of DDT Dominions Beyond the Seas

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 1

This is making my head spin. At least t-shirt sizes are consistent across the USAD space.

Oh, wait, I forgot about China when I typed that. I'm an XXL in the USA, but I'm in "European" sizes in China, which is their euphemism for "Big and Tall".

So, what *does* USAD mean when it says "Large"????

--------------------
The "m" is silent and "Zzzptm" is only one syllable...
"The world could perish if people only worked on things that were easy to handle." -- Vladimir Savchenko
"Plan B is Plan A with an element of panic." -- John Clarke

+Quote Post
mrstewart
post Nov 28 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #25

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 241,408

Figures, the first year Lebanon Trail has a shot at going to Nationals it's in Frisco. Oh well...we'd be happy to go.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 28 2017, 02:37 PM
Post #26

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 26 2017, 10:22 AM) *
This is making my head spin. At least t-shirt sizes are consistent across the USAD space.

Oh, wait, I forgot about China when I typed that. I'm an XXL in the USA, but I'm in "European" sizes in China, which is their euphemism for "Big and Tall".

So, what *does* USAD mean when it says "Large"????

What do you mean exactly? International schools follow the same size divisions as US schools, if that's what you're getting at. Really though, China calls those "European" sizes?? xD

QUOTE (mrstewart @ Nov 28 2017, 01:40 AM) *
Figures, the first year Lebanon Trail has a shot at going to Nationals it's in Frisco. Oh well...we'd be happy to go.

This occurred to me too... not the most exciting. sad.gif Maybe you can keep your enrollment just under 1300 next year and still qualify for Minnesota if Texas gets another wildcard? (And/or win State with 56k in 2020 with your four-year-experienced team?)

Also, the "first year" you have a shot? This makes it sound like you've been waiting forever, but you've literally been around one year!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Nov 29 2017, 12:39 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 252,079

Those Texas snapshot numbers for next year's UIL realignment have already been submitted. You can see the list of reported numbers at this page - https://www.texasfootball.com/snapshot/ We won't know until February what the new UIL cutoff number will be for deciding if a school is 6A or 5A in Texas, but some of the schools that are probably paying close attention to that cutoff number (which was 2150 two years ago) will be Highland Park (2180), Friendswood (2108 - they will almost certainly drop back down to medium for AcDec purposes), and Mansfield Summit (2182). Lebanon Trail submitted a number of 1757.

This post has been edited by ridgepoinths: Nov 29 2017, 12:40 AM

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Ridge Point High School, Texas
State Qualifiers 2016 (medium school level) and 2017 (large school level)
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Team Champs, 2014, 2015, 2017

+Quote Post
madcap
post Nov 29 2017, 04:39 AM
Post #28

Alpwaaca

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Nov 28 2017, 07:39 PM) *
Those Texas snapshot numbers for next year's UIL realignment have already been submitted. You can see the list of reported numbers at this page - https://www.texasfootball.com/snapshot/ We won't know until February what the new UIL cutoff number will be for deciding if a school is 6A or 5A in Texas, but some of the schools that are probably paying close attention to that cutoff number (which was 2150 two years ago) will be Highland Park (2180), Friendswood (2108 - they will almost certainly drop back down to medium for AcDec purposes), and Mansfield Summit (2182). Lebanon Trail submitted a number of 1757.

I clicked that link and got a pop-up for Texas football gifts (no surprise), and was about to close it, but then I saw the the Texas football gift includes "Dave Campbell" merchandise and I got super excited thinking it would be TinDeFacto's godfather (the top Varsity at Nationals/1990!!). Of course it's a different Dave Campbell, but I still got excited. biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
Scholastic Under...
post Nov 29 2017, 05:56 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 671,637

QUOTE (madcap @ Nov 28 2017, 10:39 PM) *
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Nov 28 2017, 07:39 PM) *

I clicked that link and got a pop-up for Texas football gifts (no surprise), and was about to close it, but then I saw the the Texas football gift includes "Dave Campbell" merchandise and I got super excited thinking it would be TinDeFacto's godfather (the top Varsity at Nationals/1990!!). Of course it's a different Dave Campbell, but I still got excited. biggrin.gif

I kept reading that as "TinDeFacto's grandfather" and was wondering how the heck a man ~45 years old would be a grandfather to a 21 (22?)-year old. facepalm.gif

This post has been edited by Scholastic Underdog: Nov 29 2017, 06:07 AM

--------------------
Nicholas Welch
MRHS Scholastic 2013-2016
E-Nats Scholastic Score Record Holder

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 29 2017, 11:53 AM
Post #30

Don't compare my beat with his...

Member No.: 14

I remember last time we looked at this Summit was just below the cutoff. If the number is around 2170 or so, then they will not avoid the jump this year sad.gif

There's an old wive's tale about the 6a cutoff being "Highland Park +1". I don't think that will hold this year, although UIL gives themselves a wide berth of selecting where the cutoff is. Friendswood will definitely move down, and the Lubbock schools are not reported on here, so it will be interesting to see where they end up for medium championship purposes.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Nov 29 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #31

Schools not on list:
Coppell
Nimitz
Plano East
Plano Senior
Marcus
Lubbock
Lubbock Monterey

Both of the Lubbock schools were pretty close to the cutoff last time, especially Monterey.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Nov 29 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #32

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Nov 28 2017, 08:39 PM) *

Ooh, I didn't know this existed! Awesome!! Yeah, that's about how many students Lebanon Trail will have once they have all four grades (2020), but next year they could be around 1300 -- probably a bit more, but if not, they'd still be eligible to be a wildcard team even if their UIL status is based on a higher number.

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Nov 29 2017, 07:53 AM) *
I remember last time we looked at this Summit was just below the cutoff. If the number is around 2170 or so, then they will not avoid the jump this year sad.gif

There's an old wive's tale about the 6a cutoff being "Highland Park +1". I don't think that will hold this year, although UIL gives themselves a wide berth of selecting where the cutoff is. Friendswood will definitely move down, and the Lubbock schools are not reported on here, so it will be interesting to see where they end up for medium championship purposes.

Aww, Summit moving up. sad.gif It's crazy how many schools are right around the cutoff; I hate how everything changes so much from year to year. These past two years, Medium has been dominated by Highland Park, Summit, and the Lubbock schools. Next year maybe they'll all move up and instead it'll be only Friendswood in their place (or theoretically Rockwall, Rockwall-Heath, J.J. Pearce, and lots of other schools that have bounced around in the past, though their numbers all look much higher now). Ugh, I care too much about consistency.

QUOTE (madcap @ Nov 29 2017, 12:39 AM) *

Haha, aww, that's such a common name but I always get excited seeing it too. xD

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
melanie98
post Nov 29 2017, 09:28 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,712

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Nov 29 2017, 05:53 AM) *

That tale of the line being drawn at "Highland Park plus one" is interesting to us at Summit since our number right now is 2182 (TWO above Highland Park at 2180). We will likely move up to large (I don't know--just guessing) which makes our region competition easier but state, of course, more challenging--especially if Highland Park and the Lubbock schools move up as well. We will see...

This post has been edited by melanie98: Nov 29 2017, 09:30 PM

--------------------
Melanie Atkinson
Summit High School
Mansfield ISD

+Quote Post
JakeLHS
post Nov 30 2017, 03:30 PM
Post #34

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 713,395

QUOTE (Stanley Tree @ Nov 29 2017, 11:57 AM) *
Schools not on list:
Coppell
Nimitz
Plano East
Plano Senior
Marcus
Lubbock
Lubbock Monterey

Both of the Lubbock schools were pretty close to the cutoff last time, especially Monterey.

We're below 2100, but not by much. Lubbock Monterrey and Coronado are both larger than us, so they might move up, and if they do, Talkington may be required to move up too. We're not moving up though, if I've been told correctly.

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 6 2017, 05:41 PM
Post #35

Turtlemaster

I guess we got kinda off-topic, but UIL announced its new cutoff numbers! 6A starts at a whopping 2190 and above, meaning that Highland Park is within Medium range, and that Friendswood will be moving down. Looking through that David Campbell list, it looks like they've added Lubbock schools, and all will stay Medium. Naaman Forest will also be moving down (meaning Highland Park will no longer be the sole Medium school in Region X). However, the number for Summit listed is actually 2215.5... meaning that, if these numbers are correct, it does look like they will be moving to Large after all!

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Dec 6 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #36

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 6 2017, 05:41 PM) *
I guess we got kinda off-topic, but UIL announced its new cutoff numbers! 6A starts at a whopping 2190 and above, meaning that Highland Park is within Medium range, and that Friendswood will be moving down. Looking through that David Campbell list, it looks like they've added Lubbock schools, and all will stay Medium. Naaman Forest will also be moving down (meaning Highland Park will no longer be the sole Medium school in Region X). However, the number for Summit listed is actually 2215.5... meaning that, if these numbers are correct, it does look like they will be moving to Large after all!

They really did it. Kept hp in medium again. 2190 was the closest number they could do while allowing them to be 5a.

Edit: looking at the numbers it keeps the same number of teams in both 6a and 5a so it seems fair.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
ridgepoinths
post Dec 6 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 252,079

I always thought it would be interesting if a school gets bumped up to 6A or bumped down to 5A based on that .5 student count. Those half-students can be a bear to coach - they never give 100% rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Ridge Point High School, Texas
State Qualifiers 2016 (medium school level) and 2017 (large school level)
World Scholar's Cup Houston Regional Team Champs, 2014, 2015, 2017

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Dec 6 2017, 11:36 PM
Post #38

Turtlemaster

QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Dec 6 2017, 06:11 PM) *
I always thought it would be interesting if a school gets bumped up to 6A or bumped down to 5A based on that .5 student count. Those half-students can be a bear to coach - they never give 100% rolleyes.gif

Posts like this make me really, really wish we had a like button. xD

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
madcap
post Dec 7 2017, 05:59 PM
Post #39

Alpwaaca

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Dec 6 2017, 06:36 PM) *
QUOTE (ridgepoinths @ Dec 6 2017, 06:11 PM) *

Posts like this make me really, really wish we had a like button. xD

Ahahahaha! But what does the .5 mean?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th December 2017 - 03:13 AM