He is the Worst Man.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 14 2010, 03:02 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 13 2010, 05:57 PM) *

laugh.gif I stopped after "They were under the heel of the French...Napoleon III or whatever."

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 14 2010, 03:07 AM
Post #3

Guests

It was almost to the good part! I mean, the fact that Napolean III was born in 1808 while the Haitian Revolution took place in 1804 was good too...but still.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Jan 14 2010, 03:51 AM
Post #4

Guests

Pat Robertson is that guy.

QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 4 2010, 08:47 PM) *
dont be that guy.

+Quote Post
Guest_eric..._*
post Jan 14 2010, 04:12 AM
Post #5

Guests

come on, pat! senile people like you are supposed to be creative!

you know, like 'the earthquake was simply a sign from god punishing the haitians for naming their capital after a converted jehovahs witness!'

falling back on some lame urban legend? come on. if youre going to be boring, at least be consistent and blame all natural disasters on homosexuals.

in all seriousness, give what you can: http://www.yele.org/

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 14 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 13 2010, 08:12 PM) *
come on, pat! senile people like you are supposed to be creative!

you know, like 'the earthquake was simply a sign from god punishing the haitians for naming their capital after a converted jehovahs witness!'

falling back on some lame urban legend? come on. if youre going to be boring, at least be consistent and blame all natural disasters on homosexuals.

in all seriousness, give what you can: http://www.yele.org/

k at first I thought you were addressing debator and I was really confused.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Jan 14 2010, 05:11 AM
Post #7

Guests

I thought he was dead, or at least I thought he was the one with the gay hooker and blow.

+Quote Post
Guest_TheWerg_*
post Jan 14 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE (debator @ Jan 14 2010, 12:23 AM) *
pretty sure it was ted haggard and pretty sure it was meth.

Guess he's pretty Haggard now. Right? Right?

(Aw yeah so clever)

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 14 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Jonesy @ Jan 13 2010, 10:11 PM) *
I thought he was dead, or at least I thought he was the one with the gay hooker and blow.

Jerry Falwell is the dead one.

+Quote Post
Guest_Widget!_*
post Jan 14 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 13 2010, 10:55 PM) *
QUOTE (Jonesy @ Jan 13 2010, 10:11 PM) *

Jerry Falwell is the dead one.

They're all dead.

...on the inside.

+Quote Post
Guest_BigTS_*
post Jan 14 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #11

Guests

Oh, Pat. If he took a high school natural science class, he'd know that the earth's plates created the earthquake. And if he took a sociology class when he went to college, he'd know that this global system is what made it a disaster.

When its border opened to foreign trade — mostly to the U.S. — the “neoliberal” economic model massively privatized the public sector, cut wages for everyone in the public sector by half, lowered import duties, and flooded the country with subsidized U.S. rice. It pushed out local producers, and it lead to a massive influx of migration into the slums of Port au Prince. The funding of services (like maintaining the city's water supply, subsidized housing) was cut since the city had less taxed revenue, and people were pushed into living in dangerous shanty-towns.

This post has been edited by BigTS: Jan 14 2010, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_AK_WDB_*
post Jan 14 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #12

Guests

How do we solve the problem of natural disasters? Communism!

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 14 2010, 09:50 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Jan 14 2010, 12:51 PM) *

I'm sure were they to have Internet access to this site, Sichuan province would be inclined to opine...

+Quote Post
Guest_Research Monkey_*
post Jan 14 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (BigTS @ Jan 14 2010, 10:31 AM) *
When its border opened to foreign trade — mostly to the U.S. — the “neoliberal” economic model massively privatized the public sector, cut wages for everyone in the public sector by half, lowered import duties, and flooded the country with subsidized U.S. rice. It pushed out local producers, and it lead to a massive influx of migration into the slums of Port au Prince. The funding of services (like maintaining the city's water supply, subsidized housing) was cut since the city had less taxed revenue, and people were pushed into living in dangerous shanty-towns.

The dictatorship complete with a secret police that killed tens of thousands of people over it's thirty plus year rule didn't really help matters. Nor did the government that replaced it, seeing as it's hard for them to get a leader that won't be either tossed out via a no-confidence vote or forced out by military coup.

+Quote Post
Guest_BigTS_*
post Jan 14 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #15

Guests

I hope that you are joking, because I feel like you are intentionally misrepresenting my position. I don't think it's funny, sorry. The truth is that the injustices of society turn natural disasters into man-made disasters. Everyone who's been alive during Katrina knows that.

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 14 2010, 04:53 PM) *

The dictatorship complete with a secret police that killed tens of thousands of people over it's thirty plus year rule didn't really help matters. Nor did the government that replaced it, seeing as it's hard for them to get a leader that won't be either tossed out via a no-confidence vote or forced out by military coup.

Indeed. After U.S. occupations, and after the rule of US-backed dictators...it should be obvious why this catastrophe happened.

+Quote Post
Guest_tryingtothinkagain_*
post Jan 15 2010, 12:10 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE (BigTS @ Jan 14 2010, 06:29 PM) *

I hope that you are joking, because I feel like you are intentionally misrepresenting my position. I don't think it's funny, sorry. The truth is that the injustices of society turn natural disasters into man-made disasters. Everyone who's been alive during Katrina knows that.

Are you kidding? The problems that led to the Katrina disaster started with the founding of New Orleans. It's a damn city below sea level, with the poorest part the furthest below sea level. It has the Mississippi on one side and the Gulf on the other. That thing was smurfing designed to flood.

Those were only some of the major problems, but there's not a one that could have been solved by a different form of government.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Jan 15 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (BigTS @ Jan 14 2010, 04:29 PM) *

I don't think it's misrepresenting your position when you just trashed the free market that you solution was government control, and with your posting background, we can assume that takes the form of Communism.

+Quote Post
Guest_BadgerCam_*
post Jan 15 2010, 12:41 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 14 2010, 04:53 PM) *
When its border opened to foreign trade — mostly to the U.S. — the "neoliberal" economic model massively privatized the public sector, cut wages for everyone in the public sector by half, lowered import duties, and flooded the country with subsidized U.S. rice. It pushed out local producers, and it lead to a massive influx of migration into the slums of Port au Prince. The funding of services (like maintaining the city's water supply, subsidized housing) was cut since the city had less taxed revenue, and people were pushed into living in dangerous shanty-towns.

Indeed. After U.S. occupations, and after the rule of US-backed dictators...it should be obvious why this catastrophe happened.

First off, the US did not cause this catastrophe. An earthquake like that would have killed tens if not hundreds of thousands without US influence. Remember that Port-au-Prince was a major city long before the US sent aid to the dictatorship. It made even have made little difference that so many moved there from the surrounding countryside. They could have died almost as easily there as they could in the city.

TS, I also urge you to look past your blind accusations thrown at the US. Haiti has had major issues since Columbus. After the Spanish rule they had major issues with the French, eventually rebelling and gaining independence. They had issues when they became independent. The US occupation took place at the ed of a civil war. I really think you need to stop and look at the history and not just blindly see what you want in the history so you can bame the American Capitalist system.

Is this partly the US's fault? Probably. Is it al the US's fault? Certainly not.

+Quote Post
Guest_Jonesy_*
post Jan 15 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #19

Guests

Damn you debator, I was going to post that dry.gif
I don't care much about Olberman, but I do think what he said was hilarious.

+Quote Post
Guest_BigTS_*
post Jan 15 2010, 12:52 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (tryingtothinkagain @ Jan 14 2010, 07:10 PM) *
QUOTE (BigTS @ Jan 14 2010, 06:29 PM) *

Are you kidding? The problems that led to the Katrina disaster started with the founding of New Orleans. It's a damn city below sea level, with the poorest part the furthest below sea level. It has the Mississippi on one side and the Gulf on the other. That thing was smurfing designed to flood.

Those were only some of the major problems, but there's not a one that could have been solved by a different form of government.

A single life didn't have to be lost in that hurricane, but it happened anyway.

If you cut forty-four percent of the budget of the New Orleans Corps of Engineers when they are in the middle of fortifying the levees and upgrading the system of pumping out water, then you are making the disaster worse. If you cut $30 million from flood control and shoreline protection, then you are making the disaster worse. If you allow developers to drain the wetlands that act as a natural absorbent of storms, then you are making the disaster worse. If you do all these things, even after local engineers, storm experts, journalists, activists, and state officials warn about the potential outcomes of doing all of that, then you might have a man-made problem.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 02:55 AM