Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Soccer Thread
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 10:11 PM
Post #41

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

Costa Rica ties it up at 1, Venezuela goes final in their win, as does Argentina. Chile opens up the scoring against Paraguay in the 16th in Paraguay.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 6 2009, 11:34 PM
Post #42

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

STOP DOING THAT, LATIN AMERICA

USA DOES NOT APPROVE OF YOUR EARLY GAME SHENANIGANS

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 7 2009, 12:09 AM
Post #43

PK baby!! America has been dominating play.

1-1. Donovan with a absolute BLAST.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 12:12 AM
Post #44

touha po ztracené

The USA has been playing really well since giving up that early goal, it's been a lot of fun to watch.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 7 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #45

I really have no complaints going into the half. The midfield has been great, Donovan has been what we needed, Dempsey great, the only problem is the forwards are not doing too much. Defense has been solid. I am enjoying this a lot.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 12:34 AM
Post #46

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jun 6 2009, 05:14 PM) *
I really have no complaints going into the half. The midfield has been great, Donovan has been what we needed, Dempsey great, the only problem is the forwards are not doing too much. Defense has been solid. I am enjoying this a lot.

I think that's been the key, they've kept the ball on the Honduran side, and pushed back everything that was kicked away from the goal area.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 12:40 AM
Post #47

touha po ztracené

Also, is it just me, or have we been getting some raw deals on the officiating? I mean, the guy just got beat so he hand balled it?

Honduran dude gets poked, and Donovan gets a yellow card? Come on...

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Jun 7 2009, 12:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #48

touha po ztracené

1. That goal was awesome.

2. Another wtf call...

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Jun 7 2009, 01:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 7 2009, 01:17 AM
Post #49

Player of the game has been Clark in my mind. His on the ball D has been stellar. Feilhaber has turned it up though, he has been fantastic. BEASLEY IS TRASH. GET RID OF HIM AND MASTROENI.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 7 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #50

Game goes final. 2-1 U.S.A. Dominant play from them. Now I get to watch the El Salvador-Mexico game on Telemundo!

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 7 2009, 01:26 AM
Post #51

touha po ztracené

To reiterate:

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 3 2009, 01:20 PM) *
U-S-A!!!

U-S-A!!!

U-S-A!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 10 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #52

The second round of qualifying games begin today. Asia is already off and running, with Iran just scoring to put Iran up on UAE 1-0.

Other scores:
Australia 2-0 Bahrain
Japan 1-1 Qatar
South Korea 0-0 Saudi Arabia

Lots of angles here:
-Qatar is eliminated with that draw with Japan; they have finished all 8 games, and are a point behind third place Bahrain
-Uzbekistan can still qualify for the playoff (third place team of both groups play off for the right to play against New Zealand for the Oceania spot) with a win against Bahrain in the last game, although they would need to win 2-0 in Bahrain to ensure qualification.
-Korea DPR, Saudi Arabia, and Iran are all very close for the second and third spot in Group B. Korea Rep. hosts Iran in the last game, and if Iran goes for all three in this game, a win and a draw in the Saudi Arabia-Korea DPR game would send them through (so to ensure N. Korea doesn't get in, S. Korea should play scrubs).

Europe will start up later, with Finland-Russia on FSC.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 10 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #53

Teams already qualified:
South Africa
Japan
Australia
South Korea
Netherlands

England can qualify today with the easy win over Andorra.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
TheAwesomeKid
post Jun 11 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #54

Sultan of Bahrain

Group: Purple Hazes
Member No.: 95

QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jun 10 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Teams already qualified:
South Africa
Japan
Australia
South Korea
Netherlands

England can qualify today with the easy win over Andorra.

not quite. Theoretically, we still need 4 points (because Belarus is still capable of hitting 24 - unlikely though), probably, we only need three more (assuming bilic and the croats BEAT us at wembley in september).

So even though we have all but qualified, you can't actually say we've qualified. Yet.

I'm really loving the way we're playing right now, too. Yeah, Kazakhstan and Andorra aren't exactly world-class, but we're one of three teams left with 100% records which is super-awesome. England fans are really pumped. I say this every WC, but 2010 really could be our year if the draw is good and Spain/Netherlands under-achieve. I really believe that they are the only two teams who are playing as well/better and as/more consistently than England atm. And that's an awesome thought.

Any thoughts on England's squad if everyone is fully fit?
Should we be playing a 4-4-2 (or 4-2-3-1) or a 4-3-3?
Goalie - James (old)/Robinson (screw-up)/Green (untested)/Hart (no club play)/Carson (after the Croatia game? No) - it's a toughie, isn't it?
RB - Wes Brown or Glen Johnson?
LB - Should Wayne Bridge be on the bench, or should it be Leighton Baines?
RM - Who should start? Beckham? Theo (my favorite)? Lennon? should SWP make the squad?
F - Is Emile Heskey great? Or the greatest ever? Should Crouch be on the bench or not? Should Defoe be in the squad?

The biggest question for me: what happens when Joe Cole comes back?
It's been good without him, but I can't imagine any manager not taking him wherever England goes. And I can't imagine him NOT starting, either, if he's fit. He's pretty much ambidextrous (with his feet), so he either plays LM or CM. Obviously, he's not needed in CM (Barry, Gerrard, Lamps, Carrick). But Capello likes to have Gerrard and Rooney playing off each other behind Heskey on the left, with Ashley Cole often coming up the wing as a link-up and to provide the crosses. So if Joe Cole plays, either Gerrard/Lamps leaves (and then the other one plays in CM with Barry), or Gerrard/Rooney leaves (and the other one plays in the forward role right behind Heskey.)
Which will Capello pick? Will he play Cole at all, now? The system he has seems to work pretty well, but Joe Cole is a wizard with the ball and should always be playing. He really is magic.

Here's what I think

Without Cole:

James (or Green)
Brown Terry Ferdinand A. Cole
Walcott Barry Lampard
Gerrard (switches off with Rooney)
Rooney (switches off with Gerrard)
Heskey

Bench : Green (or James), G. Johnson, W. Bridge, Beckham (still the greatest impact substitute in the game today), Crouch, Defoe, Joe Cole
There looks like there's a massive gap in the right forward of midfield, but that's perfectly fine because Walcott is inhumanly fast and is good at closing up spaces. Plus, Lampard and Barry have excellent movement and will always spread the pitch well.

With Cole:

James (or Green)
Brown Terry Ferdinand A. Cole
Walcott Barry Gerrard/Lampard J. Cole
Heskey Rooney

Bench: Green (or James), G. Johnson, W. Bridge, Beckham, Ashley Young, Lampard/Gerrard, Crouch.
This is the more conventional 4-4-2 formation, but the main problem with it is that you don't have Lamps/Gerrard on the field at the same time, which kind of sucks because they are both extraordinarily talented players who deserve to play.

Thoughts?

+Quote Post
TheAwesomeKid
post Jun 11 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #55

Sultan of Bahrain

80 million pounds.
wow. just wow.

anyways - as a man utd fan, i would love to see Foster be England's Number 1. Obviously. But I put country before club, and I don't think that if he's not starting, he should play for country. A goalie, sometimes, all he needs is a few games in a row to get into the feel of playing. It's that consistency. I think that that's what screwed England over in Euro 2008 quali's more than anything. You can't switch goalies off all the time just because they mess up. James is not exactly Peter Shilton, but he does get more game time than any of the others (Except MAYBE robinson, who isn't very talented at all). In Conclusion, if Foster starts for United at least 20-25 times next season OR goes on loan to another Premier League team and has a good/great 09-10 (which he is perfectly capable of), putting in a solid number (hopefully up to 10) of clean sheets, I start him any day before James. But since Fergie seems bent on playing the aging v.d. Saar, I really don't trust Foster to play with 0 experience.

RB - Wasn't it you who was blasting Johnson back on the old thread? Saying 'doesn't England have any better options beside Glen Johnson at Right Back?'. Yeah, yeah it was tongue.gif. If he really does go to Man City/Chelsea/'pool this year, that will be excellent for him and England. He's extraordinarily talented, he's built like Anderson and he plays like Evra. My main qualm is that he can be really immature when defending (often going forward too much and not paying attention to his defensive duties) which will really hurt us playing against a team like Spain or the Netherlands (Arjen Robben, anyone?). HOWEVER - defenders should also get into game rhythm, much like goalies, and I don't think Capello will switch him and Wes Brown off. Brown is a more tried, mature defender. This is a tough call because there's still a year left and in a year a whole lot of stuff can happen. I'd like to see Glen Johnson mature a little bit before we start him over Wes Brown (who has been consistently excellent for country, is not too old). Brown's only fault is that he doesn't come forward nearly as often as he should.

SWP is not as good as Walcott. I love SWP a whole lot. I really do. In fact, he's one of my favorite players in the Premier League atm. But I also have to be honest. He's fast, but walcott is faster. He's a good (not great) passer of the ball, but so is Walcott. He is harder working than Walcott and Lennon, I give you that. But Walcott has so much more individual talent, combined with Henry's speed and Cisse's quickness. I just can't see Walcott not being ahead of SWP in the pecking order. (Walcott is almost a just more developed version of SWP it seems). Lennon is a different story - quick, but not as quick as the other two, but has MUCH better ball accuracy. His passes are great, actually. He will soon be as good a passer as Becks if he continues to grow the way he has at spurs. As much as I like SWP, I can't see the manager taking 4 RM to South Africa, and you have to take Becks (greatest impact sub in the world except maybe Sheva) and Walcott has really come through for Capello this year. The last RM has to be between Lennon and SWP, but Lennon is kind of a faster version of Beckham with worse passing, whereas SWP is a less quick version of Theo Walcott with slightly better passing (but still not as good as Lennon). Manager's choice there. Either would be okay.

Actually, Ashley Young has been capped. I don't think yesternight was his first one, either. I give it to you - Young is an excellent, excellent left winger. But I think that it's a bad decision to have him and Walcott start together. They have similar playing styles - both are quick and read the ball excellently, but Young is a much better passer than Walcott (slower though). Still, it just seems rash to put them both on - if one is being ineffective, the other will probably be ineffective too, just because they play so similarly. It'd be better to have one super quick guy with one super technical guy. Joe Cole is as good (or better) at passing as Young, he isn't nearly as fast, but he reads the ball better than anyone on the England team, just straight up. He is also tecnically brilliant, he cuts through defenses well, he keeps the ball, and he has a couple of effective tricks that serve him well. Don't forget that he pretty much single-handedly beat Andorra in Capello's first competitive game as England manager. If Walcott/SWP starts, Cole should to provide another dimension. If Lennon/Beckham start (extraordinarily unlikely), Young should start to provide a more quick left hand play.
Either way, Young should either start or be on the bench because you can always use him as an impact sub/second half sub to run down the already-tired right backs with his marvellous pace. Or else he should start.

You favor leaving Lamps out to start Ashley Young. That's okay I guess, except then you shouldn't start SWP as well. Anyways, it'll be cool to see what Capello decides, eh?

So, if everything goes to plan (Foster gets game time, Johnson matures)

--------------------Foster----------------------
Johnson----Terry-----Ferdinand-----A. Cole
Walcott----Barry----------------------J. Cole (or Ashley Young IFF Cole isn't fit)
----------------------------Gerrard------------
------------------------Rooney---------------
-------------Heskey---------------------------

Bench - James/Green (whoever is in better club form at the time), Brown (you definitely need at least 2 defenders), Bridge, Beckham, Lampard, Ashley Young, Crouch.

Also in squad - James/Green, Defoe, Lennon, Upson, Jagielka

This post has been edited by TheAwesomeKid: Jun 11 2009, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
TheAwesomeKid
post Jun 11 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #56

Sultan of Bahrain

Crouch ahead of gabby: crouch scares people. It seems stupid, but he does. Even though he looks like a bumbling fool on the pitch, he still manages to have an excellent strike record. Whether it's because of his height, or the fact that he reaches balls before defenders because of his long legs, I don't know. But no-one else has an international strike record of 1 in 2. Crouch does.

Young MAY surpass cole by 2010, but that's not at all a certainty. That's why based on RIGHT NOW I put Cole ahead. Young simply isn't the genius that Cole is - that's not really an argument. He MAY be better than Cole by 2010, i don't rule that possibility out, but based off of most recent international and club play, Cole is the obvious choice for left wing.

Capello currently plays Heskey in the role I put him, actually. Remember football is a game of motion, not of standing still. Also, remember that you start games in your own half. Heskey starts farther up the field than Gerrard/Rooney, but that doesn't make him a lone striker. He will receive the long balls from Barry/Beckham, while Walcott (or Young), Lamps, Cole, Gerry, Rooney sprint up the field. Heskey muscles through (literally) a couple of defenders, while playing good link up with Barry. by then, Heskey should be just outside the box and have 2 wide options (Walcott, Cole), and 2 inner options (Gerrard, Rooney) while Johnson, Cole and Barry stay in the middle third of the pitch to collect balls that have gone astray. That's what the formation means.

And the Ultimate XI

-------------------------------Casillas-----------------------
Dani Alvez (duh)-------Vidic-------Terry---------A. Cole
----------------------Xavi-----------------------------------
-Messi-------------------------------Iniesta-------------------
----------------Ronaldo------------------Kaka------------
--------------------Torres-------------------------------

Bench: Rooney, Gerrard, David Villa, Buffon, Modric, Podolski, Ferdinand.

Xavi and Iniesta are both geniuses and never give the ball away. I would start Gerrard since I really think he's the best, but this is a type of team that runs on smooth, fluid passing, rather than on raw power.
The alternative:

-------------------------------Casillas-----------------------
Dani Alvez-------Vidic-------Terry---------------A. Cole
----------------------Xavi-----------------------------------
-Messi-------------------------------Iniesta-------------------
----------------Ronaldo------------------Gerrard------------
--------------------Ibrahimovic-------------------------------

Bench: Torres, Kaka, Rooney, Buffon, Modric, Podolski, Ferdinand.

This is a more power-centered team, with the skillful Kaka and Arshavin being replaced by the very strong Ibrahimovic and Gerrard. Either team would be excellent, I think, it just depends on who you are playing. (Second team would be more effective against Germany, Greece; First team would be better against Spain, Portugal).

This post has been edited by TheAwesomeKid: Jun 11 2009, 05:58 PM

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 11 2009, 11:26 PM
Post #57

....Dani Alves...Puyol...Vidic...Lahm
........................Pirlo....................
.....Iniesta..................Xavi...........
............Arshavin.........................
.......................Dzeko..................

Too many barca guys...but it is kinda true, yea?

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
teeling
post Jun 12 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #58

board emperor emeritus

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 11 2009, 05:00 PM) *
you're missing two dudes on your starting eleven. also who tf is dzeko?

HIS STARTING LINEUP IS SO AWESOME IT CAN DOMINATE SHORTHANDED

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 12 2009, 01:33 AM
Post #59

Oh sheeit my bad...add in Iker as my keep andddddddddddd idk...Gerrard.

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 12 2009, 01:02 AM) *
looked it up. turns out he's bosnian.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

Dominated the Bundesliga this year. Won't be there for long.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
JSK
post Jun 14 2009, 07:21 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Group: Mod Squad
Member No.: 75

New Zealand is really bad. The two groups in the Confederations Cup are ridiculously unequal.

--------------------
"I realized I had won. I had won all the prizes Academic Decathlon truly offers. The scholarships and promises of travel are only enticements to trick short-sighted children into partaking of an experience far more beautiful, far more awesome, far more sublime than they could comprehend in their limited experience. The competition is not about a few people winning this scholarship or that medal. The competition is about everyone, yes, everyone, gaining a desire to learn for the rest of their lives. It is about enriching our lives with deep and profound experiences. It is about following the path less taken, and realizing it has made all the difference in our lives." ~ zzzptm

+Quote Post

79 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:22 AM