Research Monkey
post Jun 4 2009, 03:05 AM
Post #21

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jun 3 2009, 08:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 4 2009, 02:57 AM) *
So does the US have to get first in its pool to qualify, or can it get second into that second pool?

Sorry, the top three auto qualify, and then the fourth place team plays the fifth place team in COMNEBOL for a spot.

What is COMNEBOL?

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 03:09 AM
Post #22

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 4 2009, 04:05 AM) *
QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jun 3 2009, 08:00 PM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 4 2009, 02:57 AM) *
So does the US have to get first in its pool to qualify, or can it get second into that second pool?

Sorry, the top three auto qualify, and then the fourth place team plays the fifth place team in COMNEBOL for a spot.

What is COMNEBOL?

South America

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 4 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #23

touha po ztracené

This USA-Costa Rica match is looking really rough for us right now. Really not good.

But wtf is this with the Astroturf? I mean, I don't even watch that much football, but I really can tell that it's not right.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Jun 4 2009, 03:41 AM
Post #24

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 3 2009, 08:22 PM) *
But wtf is this with the Astroturf? I mean, I don't even watch that much football, but I really can tell that it's not right.

I'm not watching the game right now, so, please, elaborate.

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
JSK
post Jun 4 2009, 04:18 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Group: Mod Squad
Member No.: 75

The US played quite badly tonight. Let's hope they beat Honduras this weekend, otherwise they may be in serious trouble.

--------------------
"I realized I had won. I had won all the prizes Academic Decathlon truly offers. The scholarships and promises of travel are only enticements to trick short-sighted children into partaking of an experience far more beautiful, far more awesome, far more sublime than they could comprehend in their limited experience. The competition is not about a few people winning this scholarship or that medal. The competition is about everyone, yes, everyone, gaining a desire to learn for the rest of their lives. It is about enriching our lives with deep and profound experiences. It is about following the path less taken, and realizing it has made all the difference in our lives." ~ zzzptm

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 04:21 AM
Post #26

They played terribly, but we should not look too deep into this, the Honduras game is much more important. Torres was stabbing, Pablo was weak, and the defense was disorganized. Offense wasn't much better either. This was expected, but Bradley had a poor game plan, and didn't execute a pressure-style, which was what was needed.

And the astroturf was concrete with a layer of turf. It was baaaaaaaaad.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jun 4 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #27

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Widget! @ Jun 3 2009, 08:41 PM) *

It was really hard, and the ball was bouncing way more than it was rolling. Like Mr. Tree said, it was over a concrete floor and was far too hard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Jun 4 2009, 04:51 AM
Post #28

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jun 3 2009, 09:45 PM) *
QUOTE (Widget! @ Jun 3 2009, 08:41 PM) *

It was really hard, and the ball was bouncing way more than it was rolling. Like Mr. Tree said, it was over a concrete floor and was far too hard.

You need to go watch a game in Payson. dry.gif

Granted, I've only played on two separate astroturf fields, but in my experience, astroturf = fail.

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 05:39 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 4 2009, 02:35 PM) *
HOW DID I MISS THIS TOPIC.

us played terribly in the first half, and picked it up in the second but it wasn't enough. the decision to take out torres was monumentally retarded; he was clearly the only guy in a white shirt doin' work before half time. Still, though, US should have no trouble qualifying, and I don't have a problem with giving Costa Rica points, because they need to beat mexico to keep them out of the WC. thoughts on UEFA groups to follow.

Torres was trash, he stabbed on the first goal, and didn't even attempt to get the ball back (story of the night), and was not tracking back on the second. No one was good, but he was only a bright spot because he got the ball (he is a reincarnated Freddy Adu).

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #30

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 4 2009, 02:46 PM) *
first off, you screwed up group 6 so hard. ukraine over croatia? not a chance. and you highlighted the reason why right in your post. basically all of ukraine's players (except shevchenko, who's had a mediocre-at-best season at milan) still play in ukraine. In the meantime, most of croatia's stars play in the premier league or the bundesliga. what's more, pretty much every player on the team used to play together at dinamo zagreb, and so they have a marvelous understanding, making them the truest national "team" in UEFA. (this is opposed to a bunch of stars who play together reasonably well, like in spain or italy). especially with the boost recieved from the return of eduardo (with him, they could have challenged for Euro 08, and less a goal that should have been discounted by turkey, nearly did without him), croatia will take 6 points from this weekend, leaving ukraine in the dust.

Maybe I am having an insane crush on the Ukraine right now after seeing Shakhtar dominate Bremen, but I think they can do it; granted, I am not giving Croatia enough credit, but I feel the Ukraine could do it, there entire country is jacked up after the win and surprising performances. They be my picks and I'm sticking to 'em.

Or maybe it's just that yellow and blue flag I love so much. It's so gracious.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #31

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 4 2009, 02:54 PM) *
czech republic was seriously weakend by the dismissal of a lot of their key players (their only remaining attacking force is now rosicky). without them, i seriously doubt their ability to mount a challenge even on second in the group. they still might, but it's incredibly doubtful. and it's also foolhardy to count on northern ireland to lose every single one of their remaining games, especially given how well they've done so far.

I think turkey have it in them to pass up b&h. it'd be cool to see the underdogs come out on top, but the turks have too much talent not to win. no word on whether they'd go through in the playoff round, though.

switching continents, you count t&t out far too easily. their squad's getting older, sure, but yorke and john still have tons of speed left and a great finishing instinct. i could see them winning or tying both or either of their matches easily.

I forgot that the Czechs smurfed their pants on that one. Yea, they're done! Well, Northern Ireland has just about every game at home, and just on reputation I'm sure Belfast is no picnic to play in. I think they go awry in the remaining away games and that group is just too good, although they might get a point in that Czech game.

I really am torn as to whether Turkey will surpass them, I just keep on getting memories of them coming back multiple times in Euros, and I think they will make it interesting.

I'm sorry, but did you see T&T against U.S. in the last qualifying round? They looked abysmal. I don't think they have anything left in them (and now that Shaka Hislop is at ESPN, do they have a keep?).

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #32

COMNEBOL

(everyone has played 12 matches)

Paraguay Rec:7-3-2 Pts:24
Brazil Rec:5-6-1 Pts:21
Chile Rec:6-2-4 Pts:20
Argentina Rec:5-4-3 Pts:19
Uruguay Rec:4-5-3 Pts:17
Colombia Rec:3-5-4 Pts:14
Ecuador Rec:3-5-4 Pts:14
Venezuela Rec:4-1-7 Pts:13
Bolivia Rec:3-3-6 Pts:12
Peru Rec:1-4-7 Pts:7

Paraguay is pretty much a lock to make it, barring a breakdown in the last 6 games. Brazil, Chile, Argentina make up the next tier, and then Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Boliva are all close with Peru out. SO MANY GOOD GAMES THIS WEEK: Uruguay-Brazil, Argentina-Colombia, Paraguay-Chile, Brazil-Paraguay, Ecuador-Argentina. I can't believe Brazil is doing as well as they are with Dunga as coach, and Maradona needs to step up for Argentina. Chile is quite surprising as well, and I really am interested to see what happens.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (Mr. Tree @ Jun 4 2009, 06:01 PM) *
COMNEBOL

(everyone has played 12 matches)

Paraguay Rec:7-3-2 Pts:24
Brazil Rec:5-6-1 Pts:21
Chile Rec:6-2-4 Pts:20
Argentina Rec:5-4-3 Pts:19
Uruguay Rec:4-5-3 Pts:17
Colombia Rec:3-5-4 Pts:14
Ecuador Rec:3-5-4 Pts:14
Venezuela Rec:4-1-7 Pts:13
Bolivia Rec:3-3-6 Pts:12
Peru Rec:1-4-7 Pts:7

Paraguay is pretty much a lock to make it, barring a breakdown in the last 6 games. Brazil, Chile, Argentina make up the next tier, and then Uruguay, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Boliva are all close with Peru out. SO MANY GOOD GAMES THIS WEEK: Uruguay-Brazil, Argentina-Colombia, Paraguay-Chile, Brazil-Paraguay, Ecuador-Argentina. I can't believe Brazil is doing as well as they are with Dunga as coach, and Maradona needs to step up for Argentina. Chile is quite surprising as well, and I really am interested to see what happens.

After this week:
Paraguay-27
Brazil-25
Chile-23
Argentina-23
Uruguay-19
Colombia-17
Ecuador-16
Bolivia-15
Venezuela-14
Peru-8

Top four qualify, with fifth playing in a play-off with the fourth place team from CONCACAF/N.America

Gonna go back and redo Euro teams to just be this week.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 4 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #34

Asia

Group 1
Australia MP:5 Rec:4-1-0 Pts:13
Japan MP:5 Rec:3-2-0 Pts:11
Bahrain MP:6 Rec:2-1-3 Pts:7
Uzbekistan MP:6 Rec:1-1-4 Pts:4
Qatar MP:6 Rec:1-1-4 Pts:4

Group 2
Korea Republic MP:5 Rec:3-2-0 Pts:11
Korea DPR MP:6 Rec:3-1-2 Pts:10
Saudi Arabia MP:6 Rec:3-1-2 Pts:10
Iran MP:5 Rec:1-3-1 Pts:6
UAE MP:6 Rec:0-1-5 Pts:1

Asia qualifies the top two in each group, and the third place teams go into a playoff for the last spot. Australia and Japan seem to have it locked up in Group 1, but the battle is tight in Group 2. Both Koreas, Saudi Arabia, and Iran are all very close. If Iran can beat Korea Rep. than this group gets claustrophobic.

Asia finished up on the 17th of this month, so a straight final prediction will be given

Group 1
Australia-22
Japan-19
Bahrain-8
Uzbekistan-5
Qatar-1

Group 2
Korea Rep-20
Korea DPR-14
Saudi Arabia-11
Iran-9
UAE-1

Saudis beat Bahrain to take the last spot.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 5 2009, 04:26 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (debator @ Jun 5 2009, 02:54 AM) *
even as i speak, a croatian international (pranjic) is being signed to bayern munich. they're definitely one of the ten best teams in the world and there's no way they won't be in south africa.

Every time there is some surprising team that doesn't make it. England in 94, Portugal in 98, Netherlands in 02, Nigeria in 06, who knows for 10 (Portugal is my call), but it could be the Croats. All in an attempt to justify my idiocy.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #36

Australia books the third ticket to World Cup 2010, and the second qualifying team to get in (South Africa auto qualifies as the host). A draw against Qatar will do it, and it's 0-0 in the 90th in Qatar. Tim Cahill is one of the best players in the world, I'm upset I didn't get to watch this game. Japan booked the first official qualifying ticket earlier with a 1-0 win over Uzbekistan. South Korea have booked the third of five spots from Asia with their 2-0 win over UAE.

Other news:

England 4-0 Kazakhstan
Azerbaijan 0-1 Wales
Finland 2-1 Liechtenstein
Macedonia 0-0 Norway (on FSC later)
Belarus 5-0 Andorra
Korea DPR 0-0 Iran
UAE 0-2 South Korea

If you want to watch a good game, Serbia and Austria meet on FSC at 1:30 Central

I'll go over Africa in a sec.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 05:25 PM
Post #37

Africa

There are five groups in Africa, and only the winners of each group qualify.

Group 1
Gabon
Togo
Morocco
Cameroon

Matches:
Togo 1-0 Cameroon
Morocco 1-2 Gabon
Gabon 3-0 Togo

A ridiculous group that rivals any group in the world. Togo, Morocco, and Cameroon are all recent World Cup Qualifiers, and yet Gabon is tearing this group apart early. 6 games are played by each team, and through a third of the games Gabon is looking a good leader DOMINATING a Emanuel Adabayor-led Togo. Cameroon and Morocco both need a win to probably stay alive.

Group 2
Tunisia
Mozambique
Nigeria
Kenya

Matches:
Kenya 1-2 Tunisia
Mozambique 0-0 Nigeria

Tunisia and Nigeria are the two clear leaders in this group, and I sincerely hope Nigeria makes it back to the WC after missing 06, it just doesn't seem like a WC without them. Nigeria has a lot of great players, including John Obi Mikel (Chelsea), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth), Victor Obinna (Inter Milan), Obafemi Martins (Newcastle United), and John Utaka (Portsmouth) and should progress, but Tunisia is a great team in their own right and getting a win over Kenya in Kenya was huge. The two Tunisia-Nigeria matchups should determine the match.

Group 3
Zambia
Egypt
Algeria
Rwanda

Matches:
Rwanda 0-0 Algeria
Eqypt 1-1 Zambia
Zambia 1-0 Rwanda

Egypt is the favorite in this group after winning the 2008 Africa Nations' Cup, although not many name people on their team, with the exception being Amr Zaki of Wigan (they have a dominant player I randomly heard of once, but can't remember who it is). Zambia have taken the lead, but expect Egypt to qualify.

Group 4
Ghana
Mali
Sudan
Benin

Matches:
Sudan 1-1 Mali
Ghana 1-0 Benin

Ghana is the definite favorite to win this group, with an absolute MASSIVE amount of talent; Michael Essien (Chelsea) and Sulley Muntari (Inter Milan) are the big names, but this team is loaded with players from Europe. However, Mali is quite the team, with Seydou Keita (Barcelona) and Bakary Soumare of U.S. side Chicago Fire (doesn't play much, but cool anyways) on their side. Should be a good two games between those two.

Group 5
Burkina Faso
Cote d'Ivoire
Guinea
Malawi

Matches:
Burkina Faso 4-2 Guinea
Cote d'Ivoire 5-0 Malawi
Malawi 0-1 Burkina Faso

Two teams to look at here are Ivory Coast, and the surprise Burkina Faso, a favorite all of a sudden to qualify for the World Cup. Ivory Coast look to have the best talent on the continent: Kolo Toure (Arsenal), Emmanuel Eboue (Arsenal), Didier Zokora (Tottenham), Yaya Toure (Barcelona), Solomon Kalou (Chelsea), and the always dangerous Didier Drogba (Chelsea). Those five could play for just about any country in the world and make this an all-star cast. Burkina Faso have a surprising amount of people stationed in Europe (none I've seen play), and can possibly get out of this group if they can hold their own against the Ivory Coast.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #38

Score updates:
Sweden 0-1 Denmark (1st half)
Slovakia 7-0 San Marino (Final)
Croatia 1-1 Ukraine (1st)
Serbia 1-0 Austria (1st)
Lithuania 0-0 Romania (1st)
Cyprus 2-0 Montenegro (2nd)
Bulgaria 1-1 Ireland (45)
Tunisia 1-0 Mozambique (2nd)

Serbia-Austria on FSC if you want to watch

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #39

Damn man, Ukraine almost pulled the upset IN Croatia!

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO SCORES TO TAKE THE LEAD OVER COSTA RICA 1-0!!!!!

U.S.A. in Chicago against Honduras at 7 central. Ching, Bradley, Hejduk out; should be an interesting lineup.

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jun 6 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #40

Other scores:
Uruguay 0-4 Brazil Final
Argentina 1-0 Colombia (72nd)
Bolivia 0-1 Venezuela (2nd half)

Other games tonight:
El Salvador-Mexico (BIG game for Mexico, it's dangerous in El Salvador)
United States-Honduras

--------------------
AP World History teacher

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion

+Quote Post

79 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 09:03 PM