madcap
post Feb 15 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Alpwaaca

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 21

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 15 2014, 03:55 AM) *
QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 15 2014, 02:32 AM) *
Some rednecks follow football all day. TinDefacto and I follow AcaDeca all day. I say it's the best sport in the world.

"You may be a scoremonger if... you print out scores to bring to class in case you get bored."
"You may be a scoremonger if... you ask everyone you meet what high school they went to."
"You may be a scoremonger if... you've ever recognised a former Decathlete and immediately shouted their highest score at them."
"If upon finding out Shivam Dave's Regionals score you yelled "NINETY-THREE FORTY POINT EIGHT HOOOOLY FRAPPUNCINOMCMUFFINSANDWICHPOPS", accumulating a multitude of bewildered stares from everyone else in the room... you may be a scoremonger."

</foxworthy>

You may be a scoremonger if... constantly checking DDT during an awards ceremony kills your phone AND your friend's phone.

You may be a scoremonger if... you space out in class and start writing down the rosters of Nationals 2000 teams.

You may be a scoremonger if... you've ever done news archives searches for "academic decathlon" 8,999 points, "academic decathlon" 8,998 points, and so on... (and actually found historic scores).

You may be a scoremonger if... you've ever paid to access old news articles (and actually found historic scores).

You may be a scoremonger if... you care more about who won Butte County, California, than who won the Super Bowl.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 15 2014, 05:31 PM
Post #2

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

... if you transfer scores to a spreadsheet so that you can calculate statistics in as many ways as possible.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 15 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 15 2014, 12:31 PM) *
... if you transfer scores to a spreadsheet so that you can calculate statistics in as many ways as possible.

Yes, absolutely. Even if it takes you forever. =)

You may be a scoremonger if... you've ever said to your friend something like, "I'm unsubscribing from Wisconsin Academic Decathlon's Facebook. Getting notifications about pictures of kids in suits when I should be getting notifications about scores makes me angry. tongue.gif"

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)
I really try not to make it sound like a religious experience when I talk about Academic Decathlon, but it isn't easy.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 15 2014, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Creepy Old Coach

...if your syllabus for your Academic Decathlon class actually has days that just say, "Scoremongering."

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 15 2014, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 15 2014, 03:51 PM) *
...if your syllabus for your Academic Decathlon class actually has days that just say, "Scoremongering."

Halleujah! I love CDO.

You may be a scoremonger if... you get invited to a party and decline because LAUSD awards is that night, so you have to explain to your friend that it's like the Academy Awards; you must watch it.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 15 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #6

Alpwaaca

I just remembered the best "obsessed with AcaDeca story" I've ever heard!

You may be a scoremonger if... you coach all day Friday and Saturday, give birth to a baby 1am Sunday morning, but then go to the Sunday afternoon awards ceremony anyway.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/mar/15/local/me-decath15

Total rookie Granada went from 45,636.8 and 8th after Regionals to 47,844.0 and 4th in state, much thanks to coaches like that. Now that kind of culture of dedication is the secret sauce for producing nationals champions... biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 15 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #7

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 15 2014, 05:42 PM) *
You may be a scoremonger if... you coach all day Friday and Saturday, give birth to a baby 1am Sunday morning, but then go to the Sunday afternoon awards ceremony anyway.

Pi day baby! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Feb 15 2014, 11:18 PM
Post #8

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 15 2014, 10:31 AM) *

Good way to tell the difference between "my team sucks at X event" and "X event is hard."

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 16 2014, 01:11 AM
Post #9

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 15 2014, 06:00 PM) *
QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 15 2014, 05:42 PM) *

Pi day baby! biggrin.gif

I love it when California has their awards on pi day. It's also happened at least once in the last few years. I was posting about it excitedly here.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
redhawk2015
post Feb 16 2014, 01:21 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 234,320

...if you spend far too much time brainstorming more equitable scoring methods for subjectives.

Why can't we set a universal average (ex. 750 or so) and just curve all speech/interview rooms to that average?
Or curve all rooms at a competition to that competition's overall average?
Or have essay rubrics with guidelines that actually mean something?

...it boggles the mind.

--------------------
Liberty HS, Frisco, TX
Class of 2015

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Feb 16 2014, 01:54 AM
Post #11

Turtlemaster

Member No.: 235,284

QUOTE (redhawk2015 @ Feb 15 2014, 08:21 PM) *

THIS.

SO MUCH THIS.

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 16 2014, 07:48 AM
Post #12

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Feb 15 2014, 08:54 PM) *
QUOTE (redhawk2015 @ Feb 15 2014, 08:21 PM) *

THIS.

SO MUCH THIS.

I don't remember fuzzy essay rubrics. What's so bad about them? Are they extremely subjective?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
redhawk2015
post Feb 16 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 234,320

http://aad.gci.net/images/essay.JPG

The categories are extremely broad.

--------------------
Liberty HS, Frisco, TX
Class of 2015

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Feb 16 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #14

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

In my experience, it tells you everything you need to know in just 3 words.
"Addresses the prompt"

That's honestly all you need to know. The rest is style and conventions.

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Feb 17 2014, 01:14 AM
Post #15

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

QUOTE (Herohito @ Feb 16 2014, 09:03 AM) *
The rest is style and conventions.

Having a range of mostly high school English teachers volunteer to grade an essay on style and conventions in three minutes is terrifying. I am absolutely convinced one of my teammates got a lower score than she should have because she writes in cursive - perfect, legible, gorgeous cursive, but it's harder to read than somewhat bad printing. Apparently her printing is horrid.

Edit:
QUOTE (The Evil Dr. Calculus @ Feb 15 2014, 02:51 PM) *

Yesssss. I've attempted to transfer that to my team. It will be part of the summer boot camp to which I'm subjecting my poor successor.

This post has been edited by the_crazy_honors: Feb 17 2014, 01:15 AM

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

+Quote Post
madcap
post Feb 17 2014, 02:22 AM
Post #16

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 16 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Having a range of mostly high school English teachers volunteer to grade an essay on style and conventions in three minutes is terrifying. I am absolutely convinced one of my teammates got a lower score than she should have because she writes in cursive - perfect, legible, gorgeous cursive, but it's harder to read than somewhat bad printing. Apparently her printing is horrid.

Edit:

Yesssss. I've attempted to transfer that to my team. It will be part of the summer boot camp to which I'm subjecting my poor successor.

Wait a minute. They actually grade essays in three minutes at Texas state? I think Texas needs online essay... do they have it already?

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Feb 17 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #17

Creepy Old Coach

We now type all our essays in Arizona. And I know they take a lot longer than three minutes to grade.

--------------------
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Feb 17 2014, 02:35 AM
Post #18

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

QUOTE (madcap @ Feb 16 2014, 08:22 PM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 16 2014, 08:14 PM) *

Edit:

Wait a minute. They actually grade essays in three minutes at Texas state? I think Texas needs online essay... do they have it already?

Sorry, I was making a facetious stab at speed grading. I know it's fast. I'd guesstimate 7-10 minutes, from what my coach has told me.

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

+Quote Post
madcap
post Mar 3 2014, 12:08 AM
Post #19

Alpwaaca

QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Feb 16 2014, 09:35 PM) *
Sorry, I was making a facetious stab at speed grading. I know it's fast. I'd guesstimate 7-10 minutes, from what my coach has told me.

Has Texas talked about doing online essay at all?

You may be a scoremonger if... you set up DDSIC Recent Changes to send notifications to your phone.

You may be a scoremonger if... you Google stalk Decathletes from as far back as the 1980s hoping to find scores or any mention of their AcaDeca involvement.

You may be a scoremonger if... you suffer from DDSIC withdrawal when the server is down for a few hours.

--------------------
QUOTE (Abuelo)

+Quote Post
masonsbro
post Mar 3 2014, 01:47 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 608,046

QUOTE (madcap @ Mar 2 2014, 06:08 PM) *
You may be a scoremonger if... you suffer from DDSIC withdrawal when the server is down for a few hours.

I did that a few days ago. I also emailed the owner of the site because I didn't know it was going to be down.

--------------------
Ethan Arnold
Pearland HS Honors

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:16 AM