Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Semi-Serious Discussions
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 22 2013, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

Laugh as you'd like at the title, but I'd like to have a place to have conversations such as the recent Random Thoughts discussion of activism without the formality and pressure of Serious Discussions. When I come on this board, it's almost always because I'm wasting time and want to talk to people, but I do like talking about things bigger than most Not Serious Discussions are. I'd like this to be a low-pressure environment to chat about issues and questions perhaps not deserving of their own threads or the time and effort it takes to have a Serious Discussions-quality debate.

So with that, I turn this over to the people with time to kill. What would you like to talk about?

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 22 2013, 08:26 AM
Post #2

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

Does everyone know about CISPA? It's not as big of a deal as SOPA, but it probably ought to be. The government is trying to give vaguely defined, almost certainly unconstitutional grants of power to corporations which would allow them to share your private information.

This isn't about the security/freedom false dichotomy, it's about preventing existing institutions from consolidating their authority over the rest of us. Just like with the PATRIOT act, the United States is following the Western trend towards supposedly benevolent paternalism. Sometimes it's the trumped-up threat of terrorist; this time it's the manufactured crisis in a largely irrelevant matter of intellectual property. Still, you and I are the ones who lose. My Congresswoman, Ms. Kyrsten Sinema (a Democrat), voted for this bill. Her office will be receiving a very concerned call from a 2012 supporter. I would advise you all to check your representative's record and do the same.

(I think that was appropriate for the thread)

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 24 2013, 02:37 AM
Post #3

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 22 2013, 03:26 AM) *
Does everyone know about CISPA?

(I think that was appropriate for the thread)

I approve.

--------------------
Marin Young

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 24 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Chief Duckling

I've had some pretty unpleasant medical problems, but somehow, having a cold takes the cake. I'm completely miserable.

I'm curious to hear your opinions - why are little things so annoying?

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 25 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #5

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (debator @ Apr 24 2013, 02:39 PM) *
i think it has something to do with how frustratingly close you are to being a productive member of society.

This is thesis can be generalized pretty well.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 25 2013, 01:58 AM
Post #6

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (debator @ Apr 24 2013, 08:44 PM) *
http://www.aljazeera.com/video/americas/20...1648245168.html

serious question: would you do this? say you could pick the three people you'd be going with. would you go to mars and live there for the rest of your life, knowing you'd never be able to come back?

(my answer is yes, and i'll get into why later, but i wanna see what you guys think)

Can't watch the video at the moment, but I'd have to go with no if I could only bring three people. My personality centers largely around ambition and self-improvement, and much of that is based on society. If there was a larger civilization to join - one with institutions like schools, and with enough people to give me job security as a doctor - I might be interested. Honestly, though, I'm pretty happy here on earth.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Apr 25 2013, 02:18 AM
Post #7

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 16

Hell to the freakin' no. Human relationships get really smurfed up when people are cramped together for years on end like that.

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 25 2013, 02:21 AM
Post #8

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

QUOTE (AK_WDB @ Apr 24 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Hell to the freakin' no. Human relationships get really smurfed up when people are cramped together for years on end like that.

Yep, this is pretty well documented.

I would prefer the Moon to Mars by a longshot anyways. Supplies are nearby and it can support liquid water. Infinitely preferable to a frozen wasteland for human colonization.

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 25 2013, 02:52 AM
Post #9

Chief Duckling

I feel like being a smartass, so I'll go ahead and bring these conversations together. Having a cold is basically withdrawing me from society - an old friend asked today what colleges I was considering and got a reply of, "Sorry, can I not talk? Throat hurts." It's driving me crazy and basically restricting me to online friends and texting.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Herohito
post Apr 25 2013, 04:37 AM
Post #10

One Vision, One Purpose

Group: Red Herrings
Member No.: 579

Cough syrup is pretty good for that kind of thing. Solves all of the most annoying problems a cold causes.

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Apr 25 2013, 07:42 AM
Post #11

Captain Hypertension

Member No.: 51

The right kind of cough syrup will solve just about anything, but they don't make those anymore.
/joke

On the topic of Mars, I'd probably pass up that chance, but I'd give it some thought.

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 25 2013, 09:26 AM
Post #12

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (debator @ Apr 24 2013, 06:44 PM) *
serious question: would you do this? say you could pick the three people you'd be going with. would you go to mars and live there for the rest of your life, knowing you'd never be able to come back?

Knowing the vessel would be outfitted with Second Empire furniture? Absolutely not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Apr 25 2013, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Worst Influence

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 105

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 25 2013, 02:26 AM) *
QUOTE (debator @ Apr 24 2013, 06:44 PM) *

Knowing the vessel would be outfitted with Second Empire furniture? Absolutely not.

I thought it was Sayshell's furniture that was weird and hugged you.

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Apr 26 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #14

Worst Influence

Everyone has to die, but not everyone gets to die on a completely different celestial body from the one they were born on. Being on the first extraterrestrial colony isn't just immortality, though, it's also the most important problem-solving the human race will ever face if we go extraplanetary, like PatPat said. "How do we get water?" "How do we grow food?" "How do we handle the isolation?" "How do we manage the communication delay on an everyday basis?"

smurf yes I'd do it, without a single regret.

--------------------
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 26 2013, 07:46 AM
Post #15

touha po ztracené

I dunno, I don't sense any glory or prestige in it. I'd be signing up to have something cool happen to me, but in the process, prevent myself from having the opportunity to make anything of myself. Agency is central to my conceptualization of worth as a human being, so I care much more about what I can chose to do than what I can sign up to have happen to me. Being somehow involved in the leadership of such a mission would be different, but just going doesn't hold any appeal for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Apr 26 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #16

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Herohito @ Apr 24 2013, 11:37 PM) *
Cough syrup is pretty good for that kind of thing. Solves all of the most annoying problems a cold causes.

Cough syrup is wonderful, but I can't keep anything down. On the bright side, though, this virus is taking exactly the same course for me as it did for my brother, and he felt fine the day after it hit his stomach.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Apr 26 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #17

Worst Influence

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 26 2013, 12:46 AM) *
I dunno, I don't sense any glory or prestige in it. I'd be signing up to have something cool happen to me, but in the process, prevent myself from having the opportunity to make anything of myself. Agency is central to my conceptualization of worth as a human being, so I care much more about what I can chose to do than what I can sign up to have happen to me. Being somehow involved in the leadership of such a mission would be different, but just going doesn't hold any appeal for me.

You choose to engage in activities that make being on the first extraterrestrial colony worth it. Self-actualization isn't harder on Mars than it is on Earth, Ian; it's just farther away from the majority of people.

You seriously don't think you would make anything of yourself ON smurfING MARS?

This post has been edited by Widget!: Apr 26 2013, 07:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crow
post Apr 26 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #18

Gadfly

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 11

If I was a gambling man, I'd place money on at least a few of the colonists dying quite badly. That would tend to dampen my zeal.

This post has been edited by Crow: Apr 27 2013, 05:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Apr 26 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Captain Hypertension

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Crow @ Apr 26 2013, 01:29 PM) *
If were a gambling man, I'd place money on at least a few of the colonists dying quite badly. That would tend to dampen my zeal.

^that

Also, so since we're all in (some) agreement, we're all volunteering to go to Mars together right?

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Apr 27 2013, 02:37 AM
Post #20

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Widget! @ Apr 26 2013, 09:45 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Apr 26 2013, 12:46 AM) *

You choose to engage in activities that make being on the first extraterrestrial colony worth it. Self-actualization isn't harder on Mars than it is on Earth, Ian; it's just farther away from the majority of people.

You seriously don't think you would make anything of yourself ON smurfING MARS?

I mean, what does one do on Mars?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 09:03 PM