Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New People Come Here
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 27 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #1

Chief Duckling

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 232,899

Would've been nice if this thread had existed when I joined.
If you're new to DDT, this is your place to ask n00bish questions, introduce yourself, and see who else has just joined. I'm starting this thread because I've just recommended DDT through the memes page, so this post also serves as my advance apology to the mods who have to confirm/de-zombify all these new guys.

--------------------
Marin Young
Richardson High School Honors 2011-2014

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
-Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 28 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #2

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

Could we make this an introduction thread? For those of us who have been here a while, and have possibly been out of the direct loop a little bit lately, we would love to know where you're from and what brings you here!

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 28 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #3

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 27 2012, 08:50 PM) *
Could we make this an introduction thread?

I have no objections to this. For the benefit of the new people, maybe we regulars should introduce ourselves as well. I'm Marin, a junior at Richardson whom most people here just call TCH or Crazy. I'm here mostly to laugh now; these boards are home to some pretty amusing discussions with pretty awesome people. I originally came, however, to read the wisdom of those I rightly assumed would be among the best, and there's plenty to learn here. Check out the "Why Decathlon?" thread over in the AD Curriculum section. It's worth reading. All in all, welcome! I look forward to meeting people here.

--------------------
Marin Young

I have a voice, too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 28 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #4

touha po ztracené

Hi! My name is [redacted]. I'm now in my fourth and final year at [redacted], and I'm heading to law school next year. I competed in Academic Decathlon 2006-2009 for [redacted] in Arizona, then was an assistant coach the following year, and head coach the year after. I've also beta tested DemiDec materials multiple years over that span, and along with my good friends and teammates were one of two teams representing the USA at the 2009 WSC Finals. If you're an East Valley decathlete, you've probably either seen my running around and barking orders at the [redacted], or will see me doing so this year, and possibly even in the future.

I've been involved in Decathlon for nearly eight years now, and am pleased to still be in contact with many other decathletes that are approximately my year who have all become close through (formerly ADT) DDT. I hope you all can find the site of similar utility!

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Apr 30 2014, 11:46 PM

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 28 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #5

Chief Duckling

Wait, is Hari Herohito?

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 28 2012, 03:52 AM
Post #6

touha po ztracené

[redacted]

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Apr 30 2014, 11:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 28 2012, 03:53 AM
Post #7

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Oct 27 2012, 10:52 PM) *
QUOTE (the_crazy_honors @ Oct 27 2012, 08:27 PM) *
Wait, is Hari Herohito?

No, that's Elan, who is a couple years younger. Hari is rickshawman.

Ohhhkay. That makes more sense.
Yeah, this thread would've been useful when I came.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Crow
post Oct 28 2012, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Gadfly

Group: Orange Crushers
Member No.: 11

I'm Crow. I was a Decathlete in '07 & '08. Somehow, I not only graduated from high school, but also college (major: history, minors: geology & political science). Currently, I'm a law student, but in my spare time I fight crime as a masked vigilante earn pocket change as a semi-professional horror writer. I came here for the scores and stuck around for the charmingly psychotic intellectual ecosystem (read: "random odes to bacon") at play here.

If you have questions about the path from high school to law school, accruing large numbers of rejection letters from the publishing industry, or dinosaurs, feel free to send me a PM.

This post has been edited by Crow: Oct 28 2012, 05:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 28 2012, 04:24 AM
Post #9

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (Crow @ Oct 27 2012, 11:13 PM) *
If you have questions about the path from high school to law school, accruing law numbers of rejection letters from the publishing industry, or dinosaurs, feel free to send me a PM.

PM-ing Crow is always pretty amusing. He once told me while advertising his school that rather than take the Honors College route, he decided to pick up a few minors, followed by, "Also: I just realized that the phrase "pick up some minors" could be horribly misinterpreted."

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Lackluster
post Oct 28 2012, 04:54 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 219,718

Introductory post?

I'm Carlos, a sophomore from Sunnyside. Call me whatever you prefer as long as it isn't ridiculous. My school is notorious for being full of procrastinators and BSers, which is why we'll never really have to worry about not having varsities (getting said varsities to study is another topic, though ⌒-⌒; ). I stumbled across this quaint little forum looking for competition scores, I believe, and have stayed lurking around to see what's happening in the AcaDec world, since my coach is occasionally busy with three wee babies, and to take a glance at the amusing banter that occupies the non-serious discussions subforum every once in a while.

I got dragged into AcaDec by my brother, who did adequately for someone that never studied. Last year was a bit interesting for me; I didn't really study much until January, which is really unfortunate when combined with my lack of study knowledge as a freshman. However, I was Honors I and highest overall scorer in that year and in the history of my school's AcaDec team. I haven't done that well so far this year, but that's a combination of never taking anything for than a cursory glance at econ until earlier this month and operating on less than an hour of sleep on the day of a scrimmage (dear lord what is wrong with me).

This post has been edited by Lackluster: Oct 28 2012, 07:12 AM

--------------------
Carlos Moreno
Sunnyside High School '12-'13 Honor

+Quote Post
TinDefacto
post Oct 28 2012, 06:56 AM
Post #11

Turtlemaster

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 235,284

My name is Sebastian Garza, senior Honors at Liberty High School in Frisco, Texas. No, I don't post often (read: ever), but Marin keeps bugging me to do so, so I suppose this is my beginning foray into this place's community. Hi all! biggrin.gif

Some history of me & AcDec would be appropriate, so: I joined the Octathlon my freshman year, recruited by a growing friend of mine, a sophomore who'd been on the AcDec team. Octathlon, by the way, is a watered-down, easier version of AcDec in Texas (and maybe other states, too) that doesn't include interview or speech, and it's meant for freshmen and sophomores who are looking into being in AcDec the next year. Anyway, I did alright, and the next year decided to try out for the actual AcDec team. I was a very apathetic about everything back then, though, so I didn't end up making the team, which didn't come as a surprise.

The next year, though, I swore would be different. It wasn't. I did put much more effort into it, and almost made the team, but we had a lot of good Honors kids that year and was just barely passed over. And it was only that December that I actually began to shave off that apathy about important things and start to really care and try hard at the things that I did.

So this year, you guys... yeah. I've definitely already worked way harder than I could ever have possibly thought even last year; making the team is no question. It's meeting my high goals that is.

I'm definitely doing pretty well this year; not as well as I'd like to have been, but still pretty well. And hey, at the recent Rockwall competition, I beat Marin by a whopping 40 points, so I think that says something. xD

As for other things about me, like I haven't rambled enough already, I'm pursuing architecture in college, though I'm not sure where I'm going yet. I love learning--my aforementioned apathy I used to have for school was in regards to the work; I always managed to make high grades because I was legitimately interested in everything. I love to drum, even though I suck at it. I love music, especially Nine Inch Nails & Depeche Mode (which, of course, means I love beregond's avatar... xD). I'm half-Mexican and half-German, which I suppose makes me a beanerschnitzel. I have two adorable chihuahuas. And, um... yeah. I'll stop boring you guys now!

This post has been edited by TinDefacto: Oct 28 2012, 06:58 AM

--------------------
Sebastian J. Garza
Liberty Honors '13

+Quote Post
the_crazy_honors
post Oct 28 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #12

Chief Duckling

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Oct 28 2012, 01:56 AM) *
And hey, at the recent Rockwall competition, I beat Marin by a whopping 40 points, so I think that says something.

Now we know why he took the time to engineer that beautiful DDSIC page.

--------------------
Marin Young

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Oct 28 2012, 07:08 AM
Post #13

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Oct 27 2012, 11:56 PM) *
I'm half-Mexican and half-German, which I suppose makes me a beanerschnitzel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smith
post Oct 28 2012, 09:40 AM
Post #14

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 239,913

I'm Brace Gotshalk from Hilo High School, Hilo, Hawaii. I'm currently a freshman Econ major at UH Hilo and am looking at getting out of here if I can scrape the grades/financial aid together. I am a total varsity; the stereotypical lazy kid who does nothing at all but everyone knows could do pretty well if he tried. I've heard this from too many people to count. I've been around the boards for a year or so, but was too nervous and then lazy to make an account and post until recently. I broke 8,000 as a Varsity, which I was immensely proud of, but doing so changed my views of the scoring a bit, and now I wish I had one more year to score even higher. I've greatly enjoyed the serious discussions section of these boards, as this is one of the very few places I can find highly intelligent and intellectual conversation about politics and religion. I may or may not get involved in these discussions, depending on whether I feel I can compete with you intellectual giants.

+Quote Post
The Evil Dr. Cal...
post Oct 28 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #15

Creepy Old Coach

Group: Admin
Member No.: 29

I'm Chris Yetman, the coach at Canyon del Oro High School in Tucson, AZ. I've been coaching for 13 years. My hobby is crushing egos under the iron boot of AcDec.

--------------------
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
― L. Wittgenstein

+Quote Post
beregond
post Oct 28 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #16

Leftenant of the big guns

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 277

Thanks for the love, Tin, though I may change that. Then again, I'm lazy, and not on here very often anymore, so...basically I don't care.
I'm Matt. Honors at ECR in '09, currently a Senior at UC Berkeley studying History and beginning to loathe it (Senior year: if you don't get to this point after seventeen years of formal education, find Charles Xavier because the world needs you). I spend far too much time watching TV and playing video games, but I'm beginning to write again. Had several novel attempts with varying degrees of success in literary fiction, epic fantasy, action/adventure, and now, just recently, sci-fi cosmic horror. Writing is one of the things I enjoy most in life, if I'm to be totally honest, but making music works as well - I sing and play guitar and piano. Bacon is delicious, the tears of noobs who fail to prepare for a 5-rax are even more so, I love pretty much every type of beer and I'm working on trying everything I possibly can, and California's the greatest state in the Union.
That roughly sums me up - most of the old standbys on this site can concur with that. If you've any questions or want to chat, PM me.

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Oct 28 2012, 10:32 PM
Post #17

Don't compare my beat with his...

Member No.: 14

Great thread- good to hear about the new guys.

I'm Andrew Hartman, Algebra 1 teacher and volunteer decathlon coach at Dulles HS in Sugar Land, Texas, just south of Houston. I am an alumni of Pearland High School, graduating in 2008. My senior year, we increased our team score 10,000 points from our junior year (8 juniors on that team) to win the Texas state championship for the first time- I personally won the varsity gold medal and broke the state record with an 8,624 (Eddie Nunez broke that two years ago with Dobie). After my acadec career, I went to the University of Texas at Austin and graduated in three years, majoring in government and minoring in economics. Throughout that time I was at several different meets as an "acadec junkie"- nationals in '09 (watching Pearland go back to nationals) and '11 when Dobie gave GHC a good run (and road-tripping with Dean Webb to Memphis), every Texas state meet, California and Arizona in 2011, and helped run the scoring room with Yetman at the Rockwall practice meet in '09.

After graduating, I was at Pearland as a long-term sub and got to witness last year's fantastic team narrowly lose to Rockwall. This year, I moved over to Dulles. I am also a girls soccer coach so it's tough for me to influence the team much this year, but I'm hoping we can build a program to be proud of. I love everything about acadec- the studying, the work ethic needed to be great, the personal relationships, the food, the sights and sounds. It's the most fantastic of extra-curriculars a high schooler can do.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
magicblueman
post Oct 28 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 349

Since I'm guessing my school won't be represented very much on this board for a few years, I'll introduce myself.

I'm Matt Bernhard, former Seven Lakes scholastic in '10 and '11. My first year of AcaDec I placed 5th at state, beating the guy in 6th place (he was on this board at one point) by a whopping 13 points. Senior year I did pretty well for myself, beating the next closest person by a whole of 2.1 points. I guess that makes me the king of narrow margins...

I am currently at Rice University (I previously attended Georgia Tech for a year) studying computer science and working with a nonprofit science diplomacy organization.

This post has been edited by magicblueman: Jan 12 2013, 12:30 AM

--------------------
Matt Bernhard
Seven Lakes Scholastic Alumnus '11

+Quote Post
AK_WDB
post Oct 28 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #19

Chief of the Polar Bear Army

Member No.: 16

My name is Will Bishop, Honors at West Valley High School in Fairbanks, Alaska, from 2004-8. Then I went to Dartmouth College, where I gave up extra studying outside the classroom and spent my days hiking with the Dartmouth Outing Club instead. I have a degree in math but will probably devote my career and future studies to economics.

+Quote Post
Widget!
post Oct 29 2012, 01:22 AM
Post #20

Worst Influence

Member No.: 105

Hi, y'all; I'm Brendan, St. Johns High School (AZ) Varsity alum, '07-'09. I was in college, but then things changed, and so now I work full time fixing computers for a website that is essentially a cross between Cosmo, Hallmark, and Better Homes & Gardens. I got into decathlon because a friend dragged me into it, and if you really want to know what it meant to me, go see the "Why Decathlon" thread, but, these days I mostly just work and play music & video games.

QUOTE (Crow @ Oct 27 2012, 09:13 PM) *
I came here for the scores and stuck around for the charmingly psychotic intellectual ecosystem (read: "random odes to bacon") at play here.

http://i.imgur.com/xv4fz.gif

QUOTE (TinDefacto @ Oct 27 2012, 11:56 PM) *
I'm half-Mexican and half-German, which I suppose makes me a beanerschnitzel.

http://i.imgur.com/Zc5Tu.gif

QUOTE (Smith @ Oct 28 2012, 02:40 AM) *
I am a total varsity; the stereotypical lazy kid who does nothing at all but everyone knows could do pretty well if he tried.

http://i.imgur.com/lnKlf.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Sep 19 2011, 11:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Sep 19 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, why are there serious posts in here when we could be talking about ass and bacon?

I often lie awake in bed at night, wondering this to myself.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 09:01 PM