Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College Basketball, No CBAs here.
Research Monkey
post Jan 13 2013, 02:29 AM
Post #41

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

No shame in losing at Assembly Hall; Minnesota is legit. The disappointment of the day is Duke. Sure, they missed Ryan Kelly, but the rest of their bench was anonymous and they just couldn't contain a pretty containable NC State team. Now, they're going to be even further overrated.

Now, if we could pull out a W in Eugene tomorrow night and move to 15-2, we might finally be taken a little more seriously. All the talking heads are spouting the praises of a pretty iffy Colorado team if they're forced to actually acknowledge that they play basketball in the Pac-12, with one ESPN analyst saying Colorado had "no right to lose" to ASU in Tempe. I think we might just surprise some people this year.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Jan 13 2013, 07:19 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 727

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 12 2013, 08:29 PM) *
No shame in losing at Assembly Hall; Minnesota is legit. The disappointment of the day is Duke. Sure, they missed Ryan Kelly, but the rest of their bench was anonymous and they just couldn't contain a pretty containable NC State team. Now, they're going to be even further overrated.

Now, if we could pull out a W in Eugene tomorrow night and move to 15-2, we might finally be taken a little more seriously. All the talking heads are spouting the praises of a pretty iffy Colorado team if they're forced to actually acknowledge that they play basketball in the Pac-12, with one ESPN analyst saying Colorado had "no right to lose" to ASU in Tempe. I think we might just surprise some people this year.

The good that comes from a Duke loss is Michigan moving into #1. They'll be here at The Barn on Thursday, and I requested off work two weeks ago to ensure I'll be there. That'll put the count at 3 for "Teams Minnesota has played this year who have at some point this year been ranked #1". Unfortunately, we're 0-2 in those games so far (but those are the only losses of the year). Here's to hoping the Gophers come out as strong on Thursday as they finished today.

As for the Pac 12 action, I think Arizona remains the team to beat despite that road loss at Oregon the other day. It'll be tough for ASU to walk in there and win, and Oregon definitely made a statement protecting their court against the (probably overrated) Wildcats. But it could be a good game for ASU, and a win could put you guys on the fast track to Pac 12 success. On a slightly different note, Oregon just ousted Boise St as frontrunners for the "Most Original Playing Surface in Sports" award. That new basketball court of theirs is pretty sweet.

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

"you can take me out of the varsity, but you'll never take the varsity out of me..."

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jan 13 2013, 08:04 AM
Post #43

touha po ztracené

I think wins in Tucson will be the most attractive resume booster in Pac-12 play come March, but I'd agree their overrated. I think UCLA will be a tougher tournament out than the Cats will, but I could be biased in this case tongue.gif

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 13 2013, 11:08 AM
Post #44

touha po ztracené

As much as I feel like I should be giving Izzo props, Michigan was legitimately awful tonight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 14 2013, 01:11 AM
Post #45

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

Nerlens Noel...torn ACL. Well, so much for doing anything this season, Kentucky.

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 14 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #46

touha po ztracené

I don't think he would have been number one. I think he falls below Cody Zeller but not out of the top five, though realistically I think it depends on the lottery order. There are four big name picks in the draft that everyone has seen: McLemore, Zeller, Muhammad, and Noel, in that order in terms of current ability, and those will almost certainly go first, save a breakout NCAA tournament by one of those good but not can't miss players out there (Marcus Smart, James McAdoo, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, Anthony Bennett) or a really bold move by an organization (and I guess the Cavs did it last year with Waiters, not that it paid off).

The Wizards, Hornets, and Cavs have young chuckers in Beal, Gordon and Waiters, so they'll want to go for a big man. The Wizards need to win next season to convince John Wall to stick around after his last under contract next season, so I'd imagine they'll either want the polished Zeller over the very raw Noel, while they try and flip Nene or Okafor, or go for an unknown in a guy like Bennett (while he plays PF at UNLV, he's too undersized to pull that in the NBA, so he could be an upgrade over Webster/Ariza). The Hornets are in a spot to trade down, as they don't need another shot blocker or SG, but they also might bite on Zeller. Zeller/Davis would be a pretty sick young offense/defense line, even if no one expects him to have the upside Davis does. The Cavs, however, might be interested in Noel. Their backcourt can cover up Noel's offensive limitations, so I could see them taking him first unless they were going to punt on Waiters or wanted to create some all-Zeller dream team.

The Suns, Magic, Bobcats, Pistons, and T-Wolves all need a chucker. The T-Wolves and Bobcats need a floor spacer, so they'd prefer McLemore, but they will take what they can get. The Pistons are set on big men, though, and the Magic are keen to develop Vucevic. The Suns are just a mess, but until they deal Gortat, it's hard to know what direction to look.

TL;DR: Noel's ceiling is too high relative to the rest of the field; his draft stock doesn't change much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 14 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #47

If his surgery goes well, he might still be top 5. Then again, who knows with big men and knee injuries.

That being said...I think Zeller going #1 is a joke. T-rex arms, no rebounding ability and all the upside of Spencer Hawes or Drew Gooden. Ew.

This post has been edited by overly_critical_man: Feb 14 2013, 07:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 14 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #48

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Feb 14 2013, 11:28 AM) *
If his surgery goes well, he might still be top 5. Then again, who knows with big men and knee injuries.

That being said...I think Zeller going #1 is a joke. T-rex arms, no rebounding ability and all the upside of Spencer Hawes or Drew Gooden. Ew.

Unless the lottery winner is going to trade the rights to take McLemore or maybe Muhammed, I don't see too many attractive options.

And hey, just last year, the Nets threw $60 million at a 7 foot white guy who can't rebound, so I don't think #1 is unreasonable if he ends the season well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Feb 14 2013, 10:51 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

definitely plausible for zeller to go #1, though i could foresee the bobcats taking muhammad or mclemore first (assuming the lotto swings in their favor). i'd think mclemore would be their guy, as he seems the most ready to start in the NBA; zeller, while athletic and smart, could definitely benefit from strengthening his defensive and rebounding presence on the low post. but he runs the floor better than most big guys - just add an 18 footer to his repertoire a la tim duncan and he could be a powerful scoring force for a long time. that said, he'll be top 5 at worst. best offensive big guy in the draft, so he'll be a huge plus for whoever snags him.

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

"you can take me out of the varsity, but you'll never take the varsity out of me..."

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 15 2013, 08:04 AM
Post #50

touha po ztracené

No, Air Mullens fills their white guy quota, MJ and Rich Cho will just sign him to a stupidly long and expensive extension to meet their idiocy quota.

QUOTE (michelangelo @ Feb 14 2013, 03:51 PM) *
definitely plausible for zeller to go #1, though i could foresee the bobcats taking muhammad or mclemore first (assuming the lotto swings in their favor). i'd think mclemore would be their guy, as he seems the most ready to start in the NBA; zeller, while athletic and smart, could definitely benefit from strengthening his defensive and rebounding presence on the low post. but he runs the floor better than most big guys - just add an 18 footer to his repertoire a la tim duncan and he could be a powerful scoring force for a long time. that said, he'll be top 5 at worst. best offensive big guy in the draft, so he'll be a huge plus for whoever snags him.

I think his defensive instincts are actually really good. He's so mobile that he can hedge and recover better than about anyone his size. The jumper needs a lot of work (a lot a lot), and he needs to be a lot stronger to make up for his lack of wingspan, but if he can gain the strength, he's got everything else to rebound and defend quite well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 15 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #51

12 pt, 5 rebound guy in the NBA with a career trajectory closely matching that of Mike Dunleavy Jr.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 20 2013, 04:28 AM
Post #52

touha po ztracené

Florida's upset by Missouri isn't too surprising; a team that shoots threes on more than 40% of their FGAs is going to lose some games when the shots aren't falling. I'd say they must be the most stealthily mediocre team in college basketball were Miami not leading the ACC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Feb 21 2013, 07:12 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Meanwhile, Tubby Smith now has a $10,000 reward on his head. After successive crushing defeats to Iowa and Ohio St, I'm ready for Shaka Smart to take over any day now. This Gopher team has too much talent and athleticism being wasted away. The only time Trevor Mbakwe gets the ball in his hands is when he's 18 feet away from the rim, which is ridiculous considering he's one of the strongest guys in the Big 10 on the low post. I'm beyond frustrated at this point.

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Feb 22 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (debator @ Feb 21 2013, 02:50 PM) *
smart has way, way better options than minnesota and has turned down much, much better offers. i suspect that if he leaves vcu in the next few years, it will only be for the nba.

The hope stems from the fact that he apparently has a very good relationship with Norwood Teague, who hired him on at VCU. Teague is now AD here at Minnesota

This post has been edited by michelangelo: Feb 22 2013, 08:28 AM

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 25 2013, 09:47 PM
Post #55

touha po ztracené

I agree. Arizona State excepted, I'm not going to sing the praises of any team. It's really easy to point to serious flaws in every team, and much harder to try and claim that any team is as good as their proponents will advocate.

QUOTE (debator @ Feb 23 2013, 06:38 PM) *
... slu to win the tournament, because why the hell not

'cause what the smurf is a Biliken?

--------------------

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Feb 27 2013, 02:05 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (debator @ Feb 25 2013, 10:14 PM) *
the number 3 hs basketball team in the country is 40 minutes from where i grew up. this might not be a big deal to you city folk, but there hasn't been a good hs basketball team in utah since literally ever.

maxpreps #1 (lone peak hs) is 15 minutes from where I grew up, and maxpreps #2 (germantown hs) is less than 40 mins from where i went to high school. pretty cool for a school from utah to piece together a basketball team, but i'll say the sport seems to have grown quite a bit there in recent years.

in other news, cody zeller has been useless for the last 39 minutes of this game. maybe the trevor mbakwe match up isn't a good barometer for strength, but zeller's presence in the low post has been pretty weak...i've watched more than one ball get simply taken out of his hands by mbakwe or another gopher. let's pray we don't blow this one in the next 35 seconds.

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Feb 27 2013, 04:45 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

i was in draper, so i guess closer to about 30 mins away. my quick initial google maps search of distance took me to literal lone peak, not lone peak high school.

minnesota tonight looked like the team we saw the first half of the year, except not shooting nearly as well. we missed a lot of open jumpers outside (4-20 beyond the arc), but our front court played well enough to keep us in it. at one point in the second half, we had more offensive rebounds than indiana had total boards. so when your shots aren't falling...at least there's that. big win for a gopher team that started hot but has dwindled in the last month...hopefully this will spark some life back into us going into march

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 27 2013, 05:44 AM
Post #58

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (debator @ Feb 25 2013, 09:14 PM) *
the number 3 hs basketball team in the country is 40 minutes from where i grew up. this might not be a big deal to you city folk, but there hasn't been a good hs basketball team in utah since literally ever.

Phoenix is definitely a football town, but even then, that's pretty impressive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Feb 28 2013, 04:25 AM
Post #59

Michigan falls to Penn St.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww....Gonzaga #1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Feb 28 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #60

touha po ztracené

smurf UCLA

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:23 AM