Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College Basketball, No CBAs here.
Research Monkey
post Dec 8 2011, 04:46 PM
Post #1

touha po ztracené

Group: Coach Class
Member No.: 94

So, this thread needs to get up and running.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Dec 8 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #2

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

Everyone on every team in the Pac-12 is a delinquent and must be suspended, apparently.

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Dec 9 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #3

touha po ztracené

Unfortunately for us, Arizona's terrible players are the ones who are getting suspended, so they still get to field their other, less-terrible players.

--------------------
“The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of a trick learned while mastering the art of living.” --Viktor E. Frankl

+Quote Post
michelangelo
post Dec 11 2011, 01:50 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Soylent Greens
Member No.: 727

Indiana.

--------------------
Jared Christensen
Waukesha West Scholastic

"you can take me out of the varsity, but you'll never take the varsity out of me..."

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Dec 11 2011, 06:05 AM
Post #5

touha po ztracené

I think the most surprising thing about that upset is that every single sportswriter on ESPN's website called it like a week ago.

--------------------

+Quote Post
overly_critical_...
post Dec 11 2011, 06:45 AM
Post #6

You and me, we're gonna be just fine.

Group: Yellow Perils
Member No.: 25

How did Xavier think having their players be allowed to speak to the media was a good idea?

--------------------

I'm never that far, no matter where you are.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Dec 12 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #7

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (debator @ Dec 11 2011, 04:14 AM) *
kentucky doesn't care about that loss. before the game even started, calipari told the team he was planning to vacate the season in a year or two.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Dec 20 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #8

touha po ztracené

Indiana will have at least three losses by the end of January.

Also, I realize no one respects the Pac-12, but can Stanford really be unrated at 10-1 with their only loss being by six points at #1 Syracuse?

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Dec 20 2011, 07:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stanley Tree
post Jan 13 2012, 03:26 AM
Post #9

Don't compare my beat with his...

Group: Nazgul
Member No.: 14

Is Seth Curry better than Stephen? Dude actually plays D.

--------------------
Academic Decathlon Coach, Dulles High School
2017 Texas Large School State Champion
AP World History teacher
Former Varsity Head Coach, Girls Soccer

Pearland High School '08
2008 Team State champion
2008 Varsity State champion

“It’s all these guys. They’ve been with us for a while. They believe in each other. They put up with me and go out and do it better the next day. They’ve got the courage of a lion.” - Frank Martin

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jan 13 2012, 05:28 AM
Post #10

touha po ztracené

This thread already existed, bros.

Also, Indiana still is overrated. LOLGOLDENGOPHERS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jan 19 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #11

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Dec 20 2011, 12:04 PM) *

This is getting embarrassing for everyone who suddenly thought Indiana were going to be phenomenal. They have four losses already, and if they can't handle Minnesota or Nebraska then I'd be willing to bet they don't finish the month (v. Penn State, Iowa, and at Wisconsin) without at least another loss.

In other news, the Pac-12 continue to get no respect. Are we really going to be a two-bid conference? Right now, ESPN's bracketology (alright, not the most scientific of sources, here) projects Stanford to be a nine seed in the West to await a throttling by Duke in the round of 32, and Cal as a 10 seed out in Boston against a top 20 candidate Marquette. Are teams in the Pac-12 deserving of this?

Well, it looks like the numbers say no.

In Ken Pomeroy's most recent rankings using his methodology, he's got four Pac-12 (Cal, Stanford, Arizona, UCLA) teams in the top 55 teams in the country, including Cal at #16. Cal also has particularly impressive points per possession and opponent PPP, in conference play running a differential of +0.18. The only teams in a major conference to have better numbers are Ohio State (+0.25), Syracuse (+0.23), and Kansas (+0.26). Surely putting up those numbers, even if they were slightly Utes assisted, in the Pac-12 is more meaningful than in, say, the Colonial, Horizon, or Missouri Valley conferences, where even there only Witchita State (+0.20) and Georgia State (+0.19) pass that mark. Are we really supposed to believe that Utah, USC, and Washington State are weaker punching bags than pinatas like Towson (an impressive 0-19 on the season, of which only 3 were by single digit margins), William & Mary (4-14, including a 25 point slaughter by Leigh Mountain and Missouri dropping 94 on them in their only game against a big six conference team), and Hofstra (6-13, whose season was highlighted by a three-game winning streak over Binghampton, Colgate, and Iona, none of which I have ever heard of)? But do you think that of George Mason, VCU, ODU, and Georgia State, only one will make the tournament? I'd be surprised.

Even the SEC has three smurf teams in the top 25, despite the fact that everyone not coached by John Calipari is not justifiably better than a team like Cal. A discussion of the most impressive Florida win might include their overtime victory at home against Arizona or their home drubbing of Texas A&M who, though they have been proven to be mediocre after losses to Rice and Iowa State and bruisings by Baylor, Missouri, and Texas, were ranked 22 at the time. Not exactly world beaters, even if their offensive numbers are impressive. Mississippi State also boasts wins over A&M and the Wildcats, but they can't even claim to have given Syracuse a game, and I think after Kansas' win over Baylor, I think a game where they kept the Bears in check is a little less impressive. But being 2-2 in conference with losses to Mississippi and Arkansas, I'm not sure how they stand up to scrutiny better than a 5-1 California with only a loss to an Oregon state team with a better record and statistics than either of Mississippi State's conference losses. And their other three losses? UNLV, Missouri, and SDSU. Yeah. I think those compare favorably with any of the four loss teams in the top 25 save Michigan State (UNC, Duke, Northwestern, Michigan) and probably Michigan (Duke, Indiana, Iowa, UVA), those being Indiana (as discussed above), UConn (UCF, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Cinncy), Florida (as discussed already), Marquette (LSU, Vanderbuilt, Syracuse, G-Town), Louisville (G-Town, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Providence, Marquette) or K-State (Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, Oklahoma).

So Pac-12 haters, stop hatin'.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Mar 12 2012, 09:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonesy
post Jan 19 2012, 07:35 AM
Post #12

Captain Hypertension

Group: Usual Suspects
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2012, 01:26 AM) *

This is getting embarrassing for everyone who suddenly thought Indiana were going to be phenomenal. They have four losses already, and if they can't handle Minnesota or Nebraska then I'd be willing to bet they don't finish the month (v. Penn State, Iowa, and at Wisconsin) without at least another loss.

In other news, the Pac-12 continue to get no respect. Are we really going to be a two-bid conference? Right now, ESPN's bracketology (alright, not the most scientific of sources, here) projects Stanford to be a nine seed in the West to await a throttling by Duke in the round of 32, and Cal as a 10 seed out in Boston. Are teams in the Pac-12 deserving of this?

LOLOLOLOLOL

--------------------
QUOTE (Crow @ Mar 30 2010, 12:24 AM) *
Jonesy, who is, of course, the measurement of all things manly on this site
QUOTE (zzzptm @ Nov 9 2009, 10:29 PM) *
JBroms is the voice of reason

+Quote Post
eric...
post Jan 19 2012, 11:56 PM
Post #13

phinished: or, glinda the good doctor calculus

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2012, 02:26 AM) *

In other news, the Pac-12 continue to get no respect. Are we really going to be a two-bid conference? Right now, ESPN's bracketology (alright, not the most scientific of sources, here) projects Stanford to be a nine seed in the West to await a throttling by Duke in the round of 32, and Cal as a 10 seed out in Boston against a top 20 candidate Marquette. Are teams in the Pac-12 deserving of this?

In Ken Pomeroy's most recent rankings using his methodology, he's got four Pac-12 (Cal, Stanford, Arizona, UCLA) teams in the top 55 teams in the country, including Cal at #16. Cal also has particularly impressive points per possession and opponent PPP, in conference play running a differential of +0.18. The only teams in a major conference to have better numbers are Ohio State (+0.25), Syracuse (+0.23), and Kansas (+0.26). Surely putting up those numbers, even if they were slightly Utes assisted, in the Pac-12 is more meaningful than in, say, the Colonial, Horizon, or Missouri Valley conferences, where even there only Witchita State (+0.20) and Georgia State (+0.19) pass that mark. Are we really supposed to believe that Utah, USC, and Washington State are weaker punching bags than pinatas like Towson (an impressive 0-19 on the season, of which only 3 were by single digit margins), William & Mary (4-14, including a 25 point slaughter by Leigh Mountain and Missouri dropping 94 on them in their only game against a big six conference team), and Hofstra (6-13, whose season was highlighted by a three-game winning streak over Binghampton, Colgate, and Iona, none of which I have ever heard of)? But do you think that of George Mason, VCU, ODU, and Georgia State, only one will make the tournament? I'd be surprised.

Even the SEC has three smurf teams in the top 25, despite the fact that everyone not coached by John Calipari is not justifiably better than a team like Cal. A discussion of the most impressive Florida win might include their overtime victory at home against Arizona or their home drubbing of Texas A&M who, though they have been proven to be mediocre after losses to Rice and Iowa State and bruisings by Baylor, Missouri, and Texas, were ranked 22 at the time. Not exactly world beaters, even if their offensive numbers are impressive. Mississippi State also boasts wins over A&M and the Wildcats, but they can't even claim to have given Syracuse a game, and I think after Kansas' win over Baylor, I think a game where they kept the Bears in check is a little less impressive. But being 2-2 in conference with losses to Mississippi and Arkansas, I'm not sure how they stand up to scrutiny better than a 5-1 California with only a loss to an Oregon state team with a better record and statistics than either of Mississippi State's conference losses. And their other three losses? UNLV, Missouri, and SDSU. Yeah. I think those compare favorably with any of the four loss teams in the top 25 save Michigan State (UNC, Duke, Northwestern, Michigan) and probably Michigan (Duke, Indiana, Iowa, UVA), those being Indiana (as discussed above), UConn (UCF, Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Cinncy), Florida (as discussed already), Marquette (LSU, Vanderbuilt, Syracuse, G-Town), Louisville (G-Town, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Providence, Marquette) or K-State (Kansas, Baylor, West Virginia, Oklahoma).

So Pac-12 haters, stop hatin'. Start crunching some numbers.

so youre saying you know nothing about college basketball? or am i missing something?

+Quote Post
VarsityBoy
post Jan 20 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #14

Captain of DUST

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 32

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 19 2012, 07:26 AM) *

So Pac-12 haters, stop hatin'. Start crunching some numbers.

--------------------
Sorry for partying
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Aug 29 2011, 05:23 PM) *
A great injustice
Rory McIlroy is gone
Cody threads remain

"Assimilationism"

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jan 20 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #15

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 19 2012, 04:56 PM) *
so youre saying you know nothing about college basketball? or am i missing something?

You're like a stealth bomber coming out of the blue every few weeks to drop a tactical weapons grade condescending rhetorical question. Would you like to explain why I'm wrong?

--------------------

+Quote Post
VarsityBoy
post Jan 20 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #16

Captain of DUST

Group: Blue Man Group
Member No.: 32

Tactical weapons grade land kraken.

--------------------
Sorry for partying
QUOTE (overly_critical_man @ Aug 29 2011, 05:23 PM) *
A great injustice
Rory McIlroy is gone
Cody threads remain

"Assimilationism"

+Quote Post
beregond
post Jan 20 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #17

Leftenant of the big guns

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (VarsityBoy @ Jan 20 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Tactical weapons grade land kraken.

Best post?

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post
eric...
post Jan 21 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #18

phinished: or, glinda the good doctor calculus

Group: Emeritus
Member No.: 27

QUOTE (Research Monkey @ Jan 20 2012, 01:56 PM) *
QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 19 2012, 04:56 PM) *

You're like a stealth bomber coming out of the blue every few weeks to drop a tactical weapons grade condescending rhetorical question. Would you like to explain why I'm wrong?

well, because youre all over the place.

the pac 12 is getting no respect this year because the pac 12 sucks.

its a two bid league at this point because there are only two pac 12 teams with resumes placing them among the top 50-55 teams in the country based on selection criteria. ucla will be fortunate to finish the year in the rpi top 100. arizona is going to have to win 22 or 23 games to break 80. and unless either beats cal, neither is going to have a top 50 win. unless either wins the pac 12 regular season crown (or greatly exceeds current expectations), their very poor rpis with virtually no 'quality' wins will prove little short of a tournament death sentence.

but the rpi sucks, you say?

yes it does. but when it comes to the ncaa tournament, too bad.

pomeroy is better. and pomeroy ranks the mighty pac 12 NINTH in the country. for those not following at home, that means theyre behind THREE leagues that no bcs conference should ever be behind. in fact, pomeroy would agree that this is the worst bcs conference in AT LEAST a decade. but pomeroy says arizona and ucla are actually pretty good? sure. but why? ucla because they blew the doors off the likes of pepperdine, uc irvine and uc davis. good for them. arizona because they managed to beat a bunch of average teams by 10 points (at home). thats what teams with superior athletic ability do. and thats why the sec (which you bash) has four teams in the pomeroy top 31, thee of which are in the top 20. its a bias in the system.

the crap on quality of losses has to go. not saying its irrelevant, but its an argument you only make when you havent beaten anybody... you know, like the pac 12, with its ONE win over a team likely to earn an at-large bid. 12 teams, ONE win over a projected at-large team. and im not sure how you can hold mississippi states loss to mississippi against them when, you know, they hadnt quite played that game yet when the most recent polls came out. but why let our perceptions of the passage of time get in our way?

thats not to say cal isnt playing pretty good basketball right now. or even that they shouldnt be ranked. but if thats your real problem, that the people doing the ranking of teams are stupid, im right there with you. they are stupid. or lazy. or whatever. but for far bigger reasons than cal not getting more votes than it does.

+Quote Post
Research Monkey
post Jan 21 2012, 02:38 AM
Post #19

touha po ztracené

QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 20 2012, 05:13 PM) *
pomeroy is better. and pomeroy ranks the mighty pac 12 NINTH in the country. for those not following at home, that means theyre behind THREE leagues that no bcs conference should ever be behind. in fact, pomeroy would agree that this is the worst bcs conference in AT LEAST a decade. but pomeroy says arizona and ucla are actually pretty good? sure. but why? ucla because they blew the doors off the likes of pepperdine, uc irvine and uc davis. good for them. arizona because they managed to beat a bunch of average teams by 10 points (at home). thats what teams with superior athletic ability do. and thats why the sec (which you bash) has four teams in the pomeroy top 31, thee of which are in the top 20. its a bias in the system.

I won't argue that the RPI probably condemns the conference to two bids, but where I disconnect is at the point that Pomeroy's number 9 conference is validates the discounting of the teams higher up in the rankings. As I understand it, his rankings do take into account the strength of the opponents they play, and the differences between the SEC and the Pac-12 seem more distinct in the bottom third than in the part of the conference competing for a bid.

The SEC has 7 teams (of 12) in the top 100, and then the remainder are 102, 116, 130, 139, and 196. The Pac 12 has 8, albeit with 3 in the 90s, but then the remaining four are 114, 161, 179, and 331. Obviously Utah is utterly useless, and USC and ASU have been pretty embarrassingly weak, but my impression is that within the, say, top 9 teams in each conference, the rest of the SEC is rewarded for having Kentucky playing so much better than everyone else, while it appears everyone in the Pac 12 is punished for being more evenly balanced among the realistic contenders (not in Pomeroy's rankings, but in general). Oregon is listed 53rd in RPI, and could lose back-to-back games against Cal and Stanford and still wind up with 23 wins, but I would be astonished if they were considered for an at large bid. Maybe they were fortunate to win the "play Utah twice" lottery, and their losses to Virginia, Vandy and BYU weren't especially close, but the RPI suggests they deserve consideration and I'm convinced they won't get any.

QUOTE (eric... @ Jan 20 2012, 05:13 PM) *
the crap on quality of losses has to go. not saying its irrelevant, but its an argument you only make when you havent beaten anybody... you know, like the pac 12, with its ONE win over a team likely to earn an at-large bid. 12 teams, ONE win over a projected at-large team. and im not sure how you can hold mississippi states loss to mississippi against them when, you know, they hadnt quite played that game yet when the most recent polls came out. but why let our perceptions of the passage of time get in our way?

The Mississippi loss was my mistake, that wasn't a fair assessment. The lack of more wins against the likely at large teams is a serious blemish on their record, but simultaneously, though some of those teams have valuable wins (Indiana has Kentucky and Ohio State, K-State has Missouri, etc.) others don't. UConn is 14th with its most impressive wins coming at home to Harvard and at home in overtime over Florida State, neither of which crack the top 25 of Pomeroy or the top 40 of the RPI. They're 4-3 in the Big East without playing a ranked opponent in conference play, but there's something that people believe in, apparently.

You're right, my argument is not exactly cohesive or consistent, but I'm still convinced certain Pac 12 teams are better than they are given credit for.

Also, we never landed on the moon.

This post has been edited by Research Monkey: Jan 21 2012, 02:44 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
beregond
post Jan 21 2012, 06:48 AM
Post #20

Leftenant of the big guns

Member No.: 277

There's really only one logical response to this.
GO BEARS!

--------------------
Viva los conquistadores!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 02:19 AM